hgiljr

Jul 13, 2015
Miami, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good evening. I’m on the hunt for a new motor, 1.5hp, dual speed, square flange. This would be to replace the original motor on my Pentair Superflo model 340043 but Having a hard time finding it. I did find a 2hp. Would I be able to install the 2hp?

Thanks

I don't have an actual motor suggestion for you but did you try asking the people at InYoPools.com? We replaced our single speed pump with a VS and they gave me the direct replacement with all the gaskets, fittings, etc to install it to my existing housing. The hubs installed it last week and it was the exact fit. If you give them the model number of your current and what you want, they should be able to give you all the details and if you can use a 2HP.

Reactions: Darin
Thank you. I did communicate with inyopool and the VS replacement motor is close to $850 which I found rather expensive vs purchasing a brand new pump. Need to figure out if to buy a new pump or go down the route of replacing a motor.

• Wow
Reactions: V___25
If you look at your operating costs you will realize it is cheaper and it will be much quieter.
Living down south you will have a quicker ROI

Please complete your signature with your equipment. Looking at your post history you have an Intermatic P1403ME 2 speed timer.

Inyo Pool have the V-Green 1.65 replacement motor for $600, but you will have to check that it fits your wet end.

Last edited:
Good evening. I’m on the hunt for a new motor, 1.5hp, dual speed, square flange. This would be to replace the original motor on my Pentair Superflo model 340043 but Having a hard time finding it. I did find a 2hp. Would I be able to install the 2hp?

Thanks
Yes, you can install a 2hp motor. It will not increase the horsepower of your pump (how much work it will continue to do), just increase the cost to run it (but not by much). You would be much better off listening to all here who have suggested a variable-speed motor. The ECM16SQ (V-Green 1.65) will bolt on, can be used with your existing timer by changing the mode and save much in the long run.

Reactions: guinness
@guinness you are correct. I do have a Intermatic P1403ME 2speed timer.
@guinness and @1poolman1 if I went down the route of the v-green motor, do I eliminate the current Intermatic timer and run power directly from breaker to motor allowing v green VS control panel do all the programming?

Thanks all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@guinness you are correct. I do have a Intermatic P1403ME 2speed timer.
@guinness and @1poolman1 if I went down the route of the v-green motor, do I eliminate the current Intermatic timer and run power directly from breaker to motor allowing v green VS control panel do all the programming?

Thanks all
From my post, "The ECM16SQ (V-Green 1.65) will bolt on, can be used with your existing timer by changing the mode and save much in the long run." You actually want to use it that way. It is the only current VS motor I am aware of that doesn't require constant power. You want to set your clock up for a single-speed motor. A manual is available on Intermatic'swebsite.
You can get more info on Century's website, including links to videos on how to use a time clock and program the motor.

A couple of useful links

I’m looking at price difference between upgrading the motor and buying a new pentair superflo VS. The difference is around $500. Aside from the cost savings, wouldn’t it be better to go down the route of getting a new pump vs putting a new motor?

Nothing is as good as new except new. However, if your pump is working and the only issue is the motor, replacing it will give you many years of service, likely to rival a new pump, for much less.
I sell new pumps, and generally make a larger profit (yes, I am NOT a non-profit organization), but will always replace a motor if possible. Better value for the customer and keeps the referrals coming. The wet end of most pumps are good for 20 or more years.

Reactions: hgiljr
If anyone read my other post from a couple of weeks ago, my original motor was tripping the breaker even when the pump was not running. I decided to take the motor to a local repair shop since they do not charge to diagnose the issue. Just got a call back that apparently the springs came off the rotary. They went ahead and replaced the springs and the pump is running just fine. The motor housing does not look good, but I should be able to squeeze a bit more out of the motor. Repair cost is $46. This will give me a bit more time to decide if to go down the route of replacing just the motor or purchase a new pump. Hopefully once I connect the pump it indeed works as it used to and does not trip the breaker. Thank you to everyone for your feedback above. Now time to do some HW on which route to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.