New Member from South Carolina

Ronsan7

Hello Everyone! I joined this group in August, bet never did this new member thing. I have a 16 X 32 vinyl pool that was installed in 1988. I started out with a DE filter but switched to sand a couple of years ago. I use chlorine to sanitize the water. Thanks for letting me join.

Ron,

Not sure how much you know about TFP. We do things differently than most pool stores recommend. Here's some things to look at (ask any questions you have).

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If you want to switch to TFP methods you'll need a test kit. There are a couple we recommend:
Test Kits Compared

We don't sell anything so you never get conflicted advice here. Can't say the same for pool stores. If you have any questions fire away! We are experts and enthusiasts here to help with your pool needs.

Chris

It is December, my water is clear now. But, all summer I have had a problem with green algae. Several times the water has been teal green. I have shocked it, poured untold amounts of algicide, etc. The algae sticks to the vinyl lining. I brush it, clean it up, vacuum to waste, and the algae returns. So, any ideas?

Ron,

You will need to maintain a balanced chemistry to avoid algae. Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry if you haven't already. You will need a recommended test kit Test Kits Compared and a set of test results for us to recommend a solution. You can very easily avoid algae with the right pool chemistry. This is a good time to learn since weather is cool which slows or stops algae growth and it only takes a few days to learn the basics. There are a number of chemicals we do not recommend because they don't work, cost a lot of $, or have bad side affects. Algicide is one such chemical. .

Shocking does consume a lot of expensive chemicals and it doesn't work so you consume more chemicals... nice for the pool store and not so nice for you. We use a SLAM and it does consume a lot of chemicals but only big box store, dirt cheap liquid pool chlorine and it works after one treatment. If you maintain the pool using the TFP method algae won't come back. We use dirt cheap generic chemicals and we don't sell anything. So the advice we give has nothing to do with selling you chemicals. It looks to me that you aren't following the recommended TFP methods, if you don't change from the pool store methods your results won't change. The only way we can help you is for you to post a set of test results from one of the recommended test kits. Then I'm quite certain you can use the same methods thousands of us use here to eliminated algae forever, keep a sparkling pool, and do it a dirt cheap cost. If you've read the materials we've suggested and have any questions please post them here. We're happy to answer anything and talk you through anything you need a little help with.

So, get that test kit on order and post your results asap. We're anxious to help but this is the first step.

Chris