New member - central Florida

Hardin083

May 4, 2019
Florida
I’ve been lurking for a while now and we just signed our pool contract! I’ve made a few small changes already based on some research I’ve done here. Seems like a lot of great info here and lots more to learn for sure.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your soon to be pool. Please keep us posted and ask any questions you may have.

Also, can you please fill in your signature? It will help our experts respond to you quicker. Just click your name above right, click "signature" then enter the information. Don't forget to SAVE.

Looking forward to the progress photos!

Chris

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your soon to be pool. Please keep us posted and ask any questions you may have.

Also, can you please fill in your signature? It will help our experts respond to you quicker. Just click your name above right, click "signature" then enter the information. Don't forget to SAVE.

Looking forward to the progress photos!

Chris
Will get that updated for sure!

Thanks, sounds like a nice pool! Do you plan to use TFP method? If so you should order a test kit before the pool is completed. Also, if you have any questions about the documents Marty recommended, please feel free to ask. Looks like you are not building a salt pool so you'll need to find a good source of liquid chlorine and MA. Not sure where you are in Florida but most Leslies and Pinch a Penny stores sell liquid chlorine at the best prices in refillable jugs. You'll want to get on their mailing lists for the coupons. MA is available at HD, $12 for 2 gal.

Please do keep us posted with photos and any questions.

Chris

Thanks, sounds like a nice pool! Do you plan to use TFP method? If so you should order a test kit before the pool is completed. Also, if you have any questions about the documents Marty recommended, please feel free to ask. Looks like you are not building a salt pool so you'll need to find a good source of liquid chlorine and MA. Not sure where you are in Florida but most Leslies and Pinch a Penny stores sell liquid chlorine at the best prices in refillable jugs. You'll want to get on their mailing lists for the coupons. MA is available at HD, $12 for 2 gal.

Please do keep us posted with photos and any questions.

Chris
Thanks for the info but we are for sure doing a saltwater pool. Getting a Pentair IntelliChlor Installed.

Thanks I’ll look into ordering both of those kits! It’s staring to come together. I have about 4 weeks until the build starts so I’m trying to read all I can and work out every last detail!

Attachments

• 39D97A9B-D617-48C4-AB56-5F4E468E1030.jpeg
    39D97A9B-D617-48C4-AB56-5F4E468E1030.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 6
I am surprised that a 1.5hp pump will be enough for a spa. Why not a full Intelliflo VS?

Are you getting automation? With your SWCG, VS pump, and a spa, I would have an Intellicenter added.

I am surprised that a 1.5hp pump will be enough for a spa. Why not a full Intelliflo VS?

Are you getting automation? With your SWCG, VS pump, and a spa, I would have an Intellicenter added.
Yeah I’m heavily looking to upgrade the to that pump and also automation. I also have concerns with that size pump which I’m going to research and discuss with the PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick look at your spec sheet. Here are my comments:
  • Make sure you're getting a heat pump not electric resistance heating for the heater. Change to NG if you can and you want quick warm up time
  • If you add automation have the spa bubbler added to the automation instead of an air switch. They fail within a year or two. We love having the temp control for the spa on the phone app. We can heat it up on the way home and tweak from the spa! To get this level of control you have to use the same automation as the heater brand in most cases because it uses the brand specific proprietary RS485 protocol.
  • Let us know what automation you are considering. We'll get one of our experts to advise.
  • For reference, my pool has an 800 gal spa with 6 jets for bubbles. and 2 jets for normal flow. Works fine with 1 hp on the filter flow 1.5 on the bubbler flow.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Quick look at your spec sheet. Here are my comments:
  • Make sure you're getting a heat pump not electric resistance heating for the heater. Change to NG if you can and you want quick warm up time
  • If you add automation have the spa bubbler added to the automation instead of an air switch. They fail within a year or two. We love having the temp control for the spa on the phone app. We can heat it up on the way home and tweak from the spa! To get this level of control you have to use the same automation as the heater brand in most cases because it uses the brand specific proprietary RS485 protocol.
  • Let us know what automation you are considering. We'll get one of our experts to advise.
  • For reference, my pool has an 800 gal spa with 6 jets for bubbles. and 2 jets for normal flow. Works fine with 1 hp on the filter flow 1.5 on the bubbler flow.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris
Thanks for all the info this is very helpful. Yes I am getting an actual heat pump it will be the Pentair ultra temp 120 which provides 127k BTU. Also if I add automation I for sure will add it to the controls and not an air switch.

If I add automation it will be the Pentair Intellicenter as I’m getting all Pentair equipment. The only thing I don’t have to make it automated is the intellcienter itself, the Intelliflo VS pump and the valves. I work at a power plant so I don’t mind turning valves one bit but the more I research the more automation sounds good. I mean I can be having a drink in the spa and not have to run to the side of the house to make a change ??

And yeah I’m thinking the 1.5 HP pump will be sufficient for normal runtime but want to make sure I don’t have to run it at maximum just to operate the spa and the sunshelf bubbler when I want to.

And yeah I’m thinking the 1.5 HP pump will be sufficient for normal runtime but want to make sure I don’t have to run it at maximum just to operate the spa and the sunshelf bubbler when I want to.
I think that's what Marty was concerned about. You don't have to guess on this. One of our experts can check once you know the specifics of your bubbler.

Chris

I mean I can be having a drink in the spa and not have to run to the side of the house to make a change ??
Yep, thats what we do all the time! Also, sometimes at dinner out we decide to heat the pool and or spa up. It's real nice to have it ready when we get home!

I am not sure what the driver is for a 1.5 hp pump. In general, there is minimal up front cost savings versus the full 3 hp Intelliflo VS pump. During normal daily operation, the 3 hp Intelliflo VS will consume less electricity to move the same amount of water as the 1.5 hp.
And, be very aware that not all Pentair VS pumps work with Pentair automation. So be sure to check here before agreeing to what pump models you are getting if you get automation.

Remember, a VS pump is a Variable HP pump.