New Member! Central FL

Roto31

Jul 18, 2021
fL
Hello!
I'm a new member!
I moved to FL about 3 years ago into a house with a pool. I've had my share of issues as it this house was previously a rental. When we saw the house before purchase (took 30 days to get the closing in order) the pool was green. When we closed on the house it was clear. So they did one of two things emptied it and refilled or just dumped a TON of shock in it and ran the pool pump till it was clear. I'm thinking the latter as that was the end of September when we first saw it because we didn't touch it and it went GREEN in the Spring. I was new to having a pool and had no idea how to take care of one. It's more or less been lots of trial and error and I've done a pretty decent job at taking care of it. I now know I received some really bad advice the start of the Spring of 2020. I was told "just fill the chlorinator tube with the large tablets and shock it once a week or every two weeks depending on how much you are in it. It never went green, I now know why and I am seeing the issues this summer. My CYA value was off the charts this Spring and with the evaporation and replenishment from the hose or rainfall it's dropped a decent amount. It's been holding at 124, and I've had a water test every week or so at my local pool store. I know the "recommended method" to drop the CYA is to empty the pool and then full it back up. The county I live in FL charges for water like it is gold - I'd have a $1100+ water bill to empty half and refill half of it.

Overall owning a pool has been enjoyable and I found it's been more work than a yard.