amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After waiting over a year since signed contract (weather and high demand for new pools in the region), my new liner is being installed today. So far things have gone smoothly - lines pressure tested and no problems, pool bottom in good shape, while walls are definitely out of plumb, this is an aver 40 year old pool and everything has been stable since the last liner install 20 years ago.

The question: we are very rural. My choices for fill are either our own well water or tanker using local fire pond. Our well water has high alkalinity (150-160) and will be slow fill. They do have a mud sucker hooked up to the former main drain. The local fire pond is an algae infested incubator. Which also means driving heavy truck into the backyard -either leaving significant ruts going on the gate with the damp swale or through the other gate but over the septic system (definitely not desirable!). I'm inclined to go with house water, leaving the mud sucker and vacuum going and paying the $150 fee for returning for their equipment (the pool company is 90 miles away.)

Amy thoughts before I commit too a source?

Pictures before, during

Possibly I could have but it's... Water in the pool now. Plus, we live way out in the boonies and it would be a trek to a pool store. Also, the more I thought about it, the more I realized this is the water I have available. Any and all makeup water comes from the house. And, as I look at the liner, it's so dark I'm not sure iron stains would show- the pattern is tiny wavy tiles in dark blue, medium blue, black and a rust color about the same as the what strains. It's printed on a medium dark solid blue. In the past, when I've shocked at the beginning of the year after adding maybe as much as a third to a half volume of house water, while it does turn a very beautiful clear green, it clears on its own within 3-4 days of running filter 24/7. C'est la vie - the price for living in our little slice of heaven...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.