raygunpa

Hi All

I was given a summer waves/polygroup cartridge filter pump. Had it a for a month. Didn’t work great so I inspected it and it needed a new impeller. Replaced it today and boy does it move water. However, now the built in gfci trips. First I had it plugged into a protected receptacle which I thought could be bad. But then I tried It In a non protected receptacle and it still tripped. Not sure what to do. Equipment is outrageously over priced at the moment.
Thanks for your time!

Some thoughts before we PM one of our motor experts:
- Did you replace the impeller with the exact same size/part number?
- Do you know the age of the pump?
- Did you replace any seals during the repair? Any chance water could be seeping-in to the dry motor end from the pump basket wet end?

You might also post a pic of the motor label info.

Reactions: raygunpa
Some thoughts before we PM one of our motor experts:
- Did you replace the impeller with the exact same size/part number?
- Do you know the age of the pump?
- Did you replace any seals during the repair? Any chance water could be seeping-in to the dry motor end from the pump basket wet end?

You might also post a pic of the motor label info.

Hey Texas Splash

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how old the pump is but the old impeller looked like a nub. I didn’t replace any seals and doesn’t leak on the outside. It didn’t start tripping until I replaced the impeller. One observation. When I open the air purge cap while running, water doesn’t shoot out. The pump seems moves so quickly that the housing doesn’t fill with water.

See pictures.

Attachments

• 95114045-6E67-46D6-A218-ADB1A6D8C01B.jpeg
    95114045-6E67-46D6-A218-ADB1A6D8C01B.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DD08EE45-52ED-4675-875E-094B621CAEF2.jpeg
    DD08EE45-52ED-4675-875E-094B621CAEF2.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 801D02EF-B150-469E-8E36-6AA8FACCD1F6.jpeg
    801D02EF-B150-469E-8E36-6AA8FACCD1F6.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1BB12CE3-F426-4E5C-A740-4C8DC702244C.jpeg
    1BB12CE3-F426-4E5C-A740-4C8DC702244C.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2A6C88A1-5B60-47AE-9ADC-AED0FA74BF40.jpeg
    2A6C88A1-5B60-47AE-9ADC-AED0FA74BF40.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E22439EF-93D1-475E-8E43-4C770D43DD7B.jpeg
    E22439EF-93D1-475E-8E43-4C770D43DD7B.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 6
I see better now. Looks like one of those smaller Intex-type small cartridge filter pumps. There's not much you can do with those I'm afraid. I'm surprised you were able to get an impeller replacement these days. Unlike a standard pump with a separate wet end (basket) and dry end (motor), you can't separate this all-in-one style, so you might end-up simply having to replace it. Those models have a somewhat limited service life as they are known for being entry-level pool pumps. You can always consider it a total loss and tear it down anyways. You might get lucky and find something obviously wrong. At the same time, it may just be an aged motor. Once you replaced it with a new impeller that required more torque, the motor is showing signs it can't handle the stress and tripping the breaker (heat). You weren't kidding though, that old impeller was just a nub.

I see better now. Looks like one of those smaller Intex-type small cartridge filter pumps. There's not much you can do with those I'm afraid. I'm surprised you were able to get an impeller replacement these days. Unlike a standard pump with a separate wet end (basket) and dry end (motor), you can't separate this all-in-one style, so you might end-up simply having to replace it. Those models have a somewhat limited service life as they are known for being entry-level pool pumps. You can always consider it a total loss and tear it down anyways. You might get lucky and find something obviously wrong. At the same time, it may just be an aged motor. Once you replaced it with a new impeller that required more torque, the motor is showing signs it can't handle the stress and tripping the breaker (heat). You weren't kidding though, that old impeller was just a nub.
This “free” pump is getting expensive, lol. I got the impeller on eBay for $45. Overpriced, I know. Looks I might be able to purchase a new motor. Everything for these kinds of pools is so friggin expensive and hard to find. I understand folks are trying to make a buck but gouging is unreal.

Thanks for taking time to look at my issue!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.