New House...First Pool = LOT’S of Questions!

It is okay but that new water will have time to grow some algae in it. If you wait to fill up right before you take the cover off the new water will dilute the algae water so it might help speed the SLAM up a bit.

Okay so it was 60 here today so I took the cover off the pump & filter. I mentioned a few posts above that the label is worn off the filter. Here’s a few pictrues! Any ideas?

Attachments

• 6EEF4FD7-C62F-4CB8-AB3B-D48FD53D0482.jpeg
    6EEF4FD7-C62F-4CB8-AB3B-D48FD53D0482.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 43
  • B230242E-3854-413A-B4F7-7CAAF5478DE0.jpeg
    B230242E-3854-413A-B4F7-7CAAF5478DE0.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 41
What Marty said, measure it and I will get my guy going on it...........there are some good clues there.....can you read ANYthing on that white stick on the side? Is there anything stamped on the black handle at the top?

Ah I had a feeling that it was going to be some chinese junk.

I may look at just replacing the pump & filter. These look old and worn. Do you think a 1HP pump is okay or should I bump up to a 1-1/2HP, but what size of sand filter for the 24'? I was possibly looking at these 2:

Not necessarily from Leslies....

Hayward Power-Flo LX Single Speed Above Ground Pool Pump
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY39Q...colid=5K99WSGUO9UH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVSGR...colid=5K99WSGUO9UH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

or even just getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S180T92S-ProSeries-18-Inch-Filter/dp/B000EVNZLQ/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=pool+pump+and+filter&qid=1553884907&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-16&th=1#customerReviews

Last edited:
Wow - that was a quick response! I will check with my neighbors about the well and the water in the area. Edit - I just found my well drilling via Ohio DNR...my well pump is at 214 ft down and tested 5GPM for 1 hour when drilled in '93. It says my static water level is 49ft, drawdown 173ft...I don't understand this info, this is my first well property, but that info looks important :laughblue:

I'm bouncing back and forth between the TF-100 & the K2006C.
Would this be advisable:

With the winter cover still on, fill the pool water up to the correct level? And in 2-3 weeks take cover off and get the equipment running, test water, and add chemicals as needed.

Really the only question is, is it okay to fill the pool up to correct level in advance of taking the winter cover off?
I may look at just replacing the pump & filter. These look old and worn. Do you think a 1HP pump is okay or should I bump up to a 1-1/2HP, but what size of sand filter for the 24'?

Hello and Welcome back! I used to live just outside Columbus, about 20 miles NE and had an AGP. I moved away last August though.

We can help you get your pool up and running.
I loved my TF-100 test kit and I recommend it.

Your pool looks fairly full of water as it is. Have you peaked under the cover to see what the water looks like? Green, clear?
You can try to rake or net out much of the leaves and debris off the top of cover before you remove it. That stuff is heavy and unless you have 2 or 3 ppl helping you remove the cover, the cover will just fall in the water anyway when you release the tension wire. That happened to me every time I opened. Your cover hasn't fallen in. That is how AGP's look with a cover on them. Next year you can add a cover pillow / inner tube to raise the middle and have less water collect on top.
Last year I decided to use the water on the cover as it was of known quality (no chemicals in it). I got the big debris out and 2 days before the opening I added some chlorine on top of the cover to get a jump start on sterilizing the water. I released one small length of the cover and let as much of the clear water in my pool as I could. Only a small amount of the fine debris made it into the pool luckily. My helper and I folder the cover off with the remaining junk still on the cover. Whatever stuff fell in, I vacuumed out after I got the pump/filter up and running. There is always some fines on the bottom anyway.
You have no idea what chemicals the previous owner added beyond what is in your collection. Metals and CYA being the most significant concerns.

Have a well of unknown depth (to us). The well pump is located 214 ft down below the ground level. A test was performed. The pump was run (tested) at 5GPM for 1 hour when drilled in '93. Prior to the test, the water level was 49ft below surface level (location of ground water / aquafer), after running as said 5gpm for 1 hour, the water level inside the well went down to 173ft below ground level (from originally 49 ft below). (The well couldn't maintain constant level inside the well casing, but you didn't draw down to pump level). Test proved the well was suitable for use as drilled.
If you give us the casing diameter we can likely tell you how much reserve your well has before it runs dry (down to the pump). But things may have changed in the last 25 years since it was drilled.

As for your current equipment (pump & filter), I'd use them until they break unless the pump is single speed. I don't see a reason replace working equipment unless you can save energy by doing so. A 1hp pump should be sufficient. But regardless, if you buy a new one, make sure it is 2 speed!

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome back! I used to live just outside Columbus, about 20 miles NE and had an AGP. I moved away last August though.

We can help you get your pool up and running.
I loved my TF-100 test kit and I recommend it.

Your pool looks fairly full of water as it is. Have you peaked under the cover to see what the water looks like? Green, clear?
You can try to rake or net out much of the leaves and debris off the top of cover before you remove it. That stuff is heavy and unless you have 2 or 3 ppl helping you remove the cover, the cover will just fall in the water anyway when you release the tension wire. That happened to me every time I opened. Your cover hasn't fallen in. That is how AGP's look with a cover on them. Next year you can add a cover pillow / inner tube to raise the middle and have less water collect on top.
Last year I decided to use the water on the cover as it was of known quality (no chemicals in it). I got the big debris out and 2 days before the opening I added some chlorine on top of the cover to get a jump start on sterilizing the water. I released one small length of the cover and let as much of the clear water in my pool as I could. Only a small amount of the fine debris made it into the pool luckily. My helper and I folder the cover off with the remaining junk still on the cover. Whatever stuff fell in, I vacuumed out after I got the pump/filter up and running. There is always some fines on the bottom anyway.
You have no idea what chemicals the previous owner added beyond what is in your collection. Metals and CYA being the most significant concerns.

Have a well of unknown depth (to us). The well pump is located 214 ft down below the ground level. A test was performed. The pump was run (tested) at 5GPM for 1 hour when drilled in '93. Prior to the test, the water level was 49ft below surface level (location of ground water / aquafer), after running as said 5gpm for 1 hour, the water level inside the well went down to 173ft below ground level (from originally 49 ft below). (The well couldn't maintain constant level inside the well casing, but you didn't draw down to pump level). Test proved the well was suitable for use as drilled.
If you give us the casing diameter we can likely tell you how much reserve your well has before it runs dry (down to the pump). But things may have changed in the last 25 years since it was drilled.

As for your current equipment (pump & filter), I'd use them until they break unless the pump is single speed. I don't see a reason replace working equipment unless you can save energy by doing so. A 1hp pump should be sufficient. But regardless, if you buy a new one, make sure it is 2 speed!

Ah thank you!! Yeah I’m down in Carroll, near Lancaster.

Good advice about the water on the pool cover. I didn’t think of putting chlorine in it right before. I have peaked under the cover...I think it’s semi clear. I had a flashlight and could see the floor pretty easy but did see some green starting to grow on the sides.

Casing is 5”. I really don’t have to fill the pool much so the more I’ve thought about it, the more I think I’ll be alright filling it to the point of being able to start equipment in an hour or two. I think I am going to get a garden hose filter though when I do fill.

Good insight on the pump and filter!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little green isn't great, but you can deal with it.

What are your expectations for the garden hose filter?

Using the numbers above, you have about 675 gallons of water in your well above the pump. Assuming no inflow which is unrealistic, you can pull that much out before it runs dry. But during the test in '93, your pump was running higher than 5 gpm and averaged more than 8 gpm again without any inflow which is unrealistic.
You can figure out the flow at the end of the hose if you care. grab your hose, fill a 5 gallon bucket and time how long it takes. 5 x 60 / # of seconds = gpm. Do it again after you fill your pool to see if there is a drop in flow rate.

Reactions: jdmann
Do y’all think it will be okay to store my chemicals and stuff inside this on my deck?
Yes! I have that same product under my front garage car patio cover holding car equipment. Very nice and sturdy. It's nice in that it has a feature to lock it if needed, and is very durable. Perhaps the only thing to be careful of, since I have that exact one, are those lid shock/hinges inside. If you store muriatic acid in there, it may try to rust those. Not sure. Depends on the amount in there and ventilation I suppose. But that's about the only drawback I can think of.

Awesome! Thanks! Seems like those deck boxes are common with everyone ?

I’ll probably use a small pad lock I have laying around to lock up the chemicals so my young kids don’t get into them.

So I know I mentioned above about filling with well water. I think I’m going to put some liquid chlorine into the water on top of my cover and mix that up a few days before opening. Because I looked at my plumbing downstairs (in the basement HA) my outside spigots are before my softener and whole house filter, I was thinking of trying the poly fill hack in a bucket while filling the pool. My guess is I only need 4-5 inches of water to get to the correct level at the skimmer. Or I was looking at getting one of those garden hose filters. Trying to get as much of the sediment/iron/etc out prior to filling. Any advice?

I’ll also have to use the above while topping off the pool throughout the year too

Well I bought everything to rig it all up tonight at Menards. I’ve also got a corrugated pipe I’ll hook up to my downspout to use some of that free water.

I took a peek under the hood (cover) tonight, and it looks like things are starting to get green under there. ? Where I could see the bottom of pool perfectly 2 weeks ago, I can barely see it now.

If you have a submersible pump you can use it to mix your water so you can start getting the water clear again or at least keep it from getting any worse while you do the repair.
How much liquid chlorine would you recommend adding at this point without testing the water?

I just ordered my TF-100 kit this morning, hopefully it delivers quick!

I am planning on having the water to the correct level by mid-late next week.

How much liquid chlorine would you recommend adding at this point without testing the water?

Use the current water depth and diameter to have PoolMath calculate the current gallons, aim for 3-5ppm for the amount of chlorine to add.
You can grab a cheap liquid 3-way test at (see below), that will let you check if there is chlorine and what the PH is. The TF100 will allow you to test all the parameters, but you want to beat back the green right now.
Home Depot Walmart

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.