New Home Depot Liquid Chlorine Packaging and Date Code

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
So, today I went down to buy several cartons of HD's 10% liquid chlorine normally packaged 3 to a carton. Today, all they had was 2 to a carton, and the net price per gallon went up as a result. Not only that, the date code changed. The date code on the package I bought was:

Now, I'm hoping that is not 2014, but rather 2020, Julian day 149. If so, what is the 08?? Anybody know how to read this date code (it does not match other code explanations on other threads on TFP)? And beware, you're going to pay a little more for more for each gallon (about $4/gallon if you buy several cartons).

YYDDD(XX)

20 = 2020
149 = 149th day
08 - most likely a time stamp such as 08:00 hours when it was filled.

The first 5 digits are the important ones.

All pool chemicals have increased in price. The “pandemic panic” is driving the wholesale supply and manufacturing sectors crazy ...
Makes sense. My go-to place for cheap chlorine (Atwood's) has been out for a while and due to logistical issues, they aren't sure when they will get anymore in stock.

Just came from a Lowe’s in Vegas. Had 1
Pallet of Kemtek liquid chlorine in the isle. Date on it & 2nd pallet under shelving was, wait for it.... mid-2018. 3rd pallet stuffed in corner (away from the rest of it) was date coded late December 2020. People almost fighting over stuff in the isle without even looking for a date on the packaging. Thanks to TFP I knew better.

So, today I went down to buy several cartons of HD's 10% liquid chlorine normally packaged 3 to a carton. Today, all they had was 2 to a carton, and the net price per gallon went up as a result. Not only that, the date code changed. The date code on the package I bought was:

Now, I'm hoping that is not 2014, but rather 2020, Julian day 149. If so, what is the 08?? Anybody know how to read this date code (it does not match other code explanations on other threads on TFP)? And beware, you're going to pay a little more for more for each gallon (about $4/gallon if you buy several cartons).
In McKinney they still have the 3 gallon for 12.98 which comes out to about .70 less per gallon than the 2-pack

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, they are transitioning over. I shop at the Home Depot in west Plano and they are now selling them 4 to a box. I forget the price, but yes, they price has gone up. Date code seemed to indicate a fresh shipment with manufacture in Feb. or March of 2021.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.