dwall

Jun 7, 2021
Midland, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just joined today and need some advice as to where to start.
I got an above ground pool last year and so this is the first year or reopening it up. I have used the pool frog (which I will
Probably get rid of) and powdered chlorine shock (which I’m realizing now
that I shouldn’t be using).
I tested the water today and this is what I got:

Free chlorine: looked like 0, but possibly 0.5
Total Chlorine: same
pH : 6.8
Base demand: 11 drops
Total alkalinity: 150
Calcium hardness: 650
CYA: 80

I downloaded the app, but haven’t done much else. Any advice as to where to begin would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OK -- then when you get your FAS-DPD test kit I linked, you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you need to follow the SLAM Process

In the interim, raise your FC to target range FC/CYA Levels for your CYA. You might consider draining and refilling the pool 50% to lower the CYA. A CYA of 80 ppm using liquid chlorine can be difficult.

OK -- then when you get your FAS-DPD test kit I linked, you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you need to follow the SLAM Process

In the interim, raise your FC to target range FC/CYA Levels for your CYA. You might consider draining and refilling the pool 50% to lower the CYA. A CYA of 80 ppm using liquid chlorine can be difficult.
Thanks! I’ll check the local stores for that FAS-DPD kit today and if they don’t have it, I’ll order online. By using the Pool Math App for my CYA level and to try to get it to FC or 9, it says I need to add about 2 gallons of 6% bleach (pool is 15000gallons). Does this sound about right to you? Do I just add the bleach directly to the pool? Thanks for the help!

Thanks! I’ll check the local stores for that FAS-DPD kit today and if they don’t have it, I’ll order online. By using the Pool Math App for my CYA level and to try to get it to FC or 9, it says I need to add about 2 gallons of 6% bleach (pool is 15000gallons). Does this sound about right to you? Do I just add the bleach directly to the pool? Thanks for the help!
Most name brand stores (Leslie's etc) do not care FAS-DPD. If you have a mom-and-pop pool store they may have it.

Reactions: dwall
Does this sound about right to you? Do I just add the bleach directly to the pool?
That amount will come close. Look for 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart. Household bleach tends to have additives in it now.
Add the bleach in a pencil sized stream at a return with the pump running. Brush after to mix it in.

That amount will come close. Look for 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart. Household bleach tends to have additives in it now.
Add the bleach in a pencil sized stream at a return with the pump running. Brush after to mix it in.
Is this liquid chlorine at Walmart usually in the pool section or cleaning section?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So I drained and refilled 1/3 of the pool to get the CYA levels better. Here are my #s now:

FC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 200
CH: 550
CYA: 56

the Pool math app suggests adding about 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and about 5 lbs of Borax to raise PH. But for the really high TA, it says to lower Ph to 7.0 and then aerate. What should I do on the PH and TA in your opinion? Thanks!

Reactions: dwall
So I drained and refilled 1/3 of the pool to get the CYA levels better. Here are my #s now:

FC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 200
CH: 550
CYA: 56

the Pool math app suggests adding about 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and about 5 lbs of Borax to raise PH. But for the really high TA, it says to lower Ph to 7.0 and then aerate. What should I do on the PH and TA in your opinion? Thanks!
Nothing. Your pH will rise quickly. Keep the pH in the 7's and TA will come down.

Your CYA is 60 ppm. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. Add 10 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now.
Ok, I added a gallon and a half of chlorine (10%) last night, but I didn’t get my chlorine test for the overnight test until after lunch today. I mixed the powder into the chlorine test and it did not turn pink. So that means no chlorine. Think I should try the overnight chlorine test again (and test it in the morning?)or should I do something else?

Got pH to about 7.5. Then added 3 gallons of liquid chlorine this morning to get the FC to target 22 (CYA 56). Checked the chlorine about 1 hour later and FC was at 23. Checked FC again 5 hours later and it was back to zero! Is that normal for it to burn off that fast, when doing the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.