New Hayward filter using glass media

doddsa

May 16, 2020
West Michigan
I apologize if I am posting incorrectly, not real sure what I am doing, first time posting :)
I have a new Hayward Series Vari-flow XL filter that we are using glass media in. This is our first time using glass. My pool is currently green (went green when the sand filter broke), I have been vacuuming and when I backwash the water is clear coming out of the backwash hose and there is very little water coming out compared to when I was using sand. I backwash for at least 1 minute 30 seconds and then rinse for 30 seconds.
Questions:
1.Shouldn't the backwash water be discolored not clear?
2. Is it normal for there to be less water being discharged during backwash? There is about 1/4 the flow of water compared to when using the sand filter.

Sue D. West Michigan 18x34.
20K gal, above ground vinyl 18x34 with deep end, Hayward Pro Series Vari-Flow XL using glass media, sta-rite 1hp pump

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

You are discovering why using glass media is not recommended. Glass media can work too well and clog rapidly and not backwash well.

I don't have a fix for your glass media. I know it will be a pain but I suggest you go back to natures best #20 pool sand.

Welcome to TFP.

You are discovering why using glass media is not recommended. Glass media can work too well and clog rapidly and not backwash well.

I don't have a fix for your glass media. I know it will be a pain but I suggest you go back to natures best #20 pool sand.

We literally installed the new filter yesterday afternoon, would it really be clogged after basically no use? We did the initial 3 backwashes as instructed, ran the filter last night and then vacuumed and backwashed once today. There was very little water coming out with the initial backwashes.

I would check that you have the filter connections correct and did not mix up the in and out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.