New from MA - owned my pool/home 8 years!

Orion008

Jun 12, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi, I am from MA. I have owned my home/pool since 2011. It is an in-ground, 30K GAL pool. I open and close it myself after paying far too much to watch folks stand around for $200 to work. :)
I am pretty handy - but did have to have our pool re-tiled and gunite redone. Sadly, we were never given proper instruction for how to care for the new gunite nor how to deal with water chemistry changes as a result. While we have scrubbed a LOT and have back washed and used Muriatic to knock down the alkalinity - we do have some rough spots in the pool and the cyanuric acid level is pretty high. I am currently scrubbing like a freak and back washing to correct - vs paying $160 plus for the additive to correct the matter. My question for this group is.......is there a way to re-smooth (if there is such an expression) the spots that have become rough? It is not catastrophic but it does skin toes and pull suits in some spots. Clearly not ideal. Looking forward to learning and sharing with the group!

Welcome! :wave: If you have scale in some patchy areas, you might benefit from maintaining a slightly negative "CSI" level in your water chemistry. See:

The PoolMath tool, along with accurate testing from your TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) is required. See Test Kits Compared Of course a lot of brushing and Tylenol may also be required. :)

Hey Texas Splash,
Thank you for the info! Yes, my upper body is getting quite a work out, soon I will bust out of the back of my shirt LOL.
I have been able to lower my hardness and keep it in check so thanks for that!

Do you think that just scrubbing will change the texture? It is not wrecking anyone but little kids or silly adults are getting scraped - no bueno.