New filter cartridge

Arocko712

Jan 28, 2020
Florida
I’m new to using a cartridge filter. I just starting using a new cartridge and had it running all night. When I checked the cartridge the next day just the bottom was green with algea the top was still clean white. Is that normal? Thank you

Welcome to TFP! :wave: My single cartridge gets more dark & dirty at the bottom as well, I suspect due to the location water enters the lower part of the filter and settles at the bottom easier. But in my case it's from dirt not algae. Algae is always a no-no and means something chemically is not being maintained properly. Use the links Marty gave you above and also the ones in my signature to assist you. Remember, it all starts with the proper test kit - ether a TF-100 (which I highly recommend) or a Taylor K-2006C. Nothing else is as reliable or easy to use at home. Don't fall for pool store "free" testing or advice. You'll chase your tail and dump a lot f money trying to fix things. Last thing ... please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help us later.

Welcome aboard! It's very normal for vertical filters to work from bottom up. As they foul slightly at the bottom pressure drop in that area forces more water flow up. It's a good thing. As the others mentioned green color is algae and this is not good. It will cause bigger problems soon if you don't do as our experts advise. Once you get it cleared up just follow TFP recommendations and you'll have your pool crystal clear, dirt cheap the TFP way.

Good luck!

Chris

Longer term--after you've fixed the algae problem--here are a couple of my amateur observations as someone new (Oct 2018) to pools and stuff.
One. My filter logic says that since you can't backflow water through the filter cartridges when cleaning, there is probably some permanent reducing of flow from fine sticky contaminants in the pool water no matter how much cleaner and surfactants you apply from the outside, and since most of the visible debris is at the bottom, it would make sense that the little permanent stuff is there too. I flip the cartridges upside down after cleaning, so as to equalize the "clogging" effect and hopefully maximize the effective life of the cartridges.
Two. Skimmer socks are a good way to extend the time between cleaning the filter cartridges by catching a LOT of little debris that would otherwise go right through the skimmer basket. I don't know what all the stuff is, but a lot of dust, pollen, dandilion seeds, ants, skinny wax myrtle leaves, and what an old vacuum cleaner salesman I knew called "the filth of civilization", collects in my skimmer socks (actually inexpensive hair nets from Amazon). I clean them out every day or two (mostly every day) and replace them about once every week or ten days. I know that sounds like a lot of trouble, but it only takes five minutes to back-rinse them with a water hose, and it's worth it to postpone cleaning the filter cartridges and knowing I've stopped all that stuff from going into and through the pump impeller!
Three. My filter tank has an "internal air bleed" system, but I've discovered that it doesn't work very well at low pump speeds. Since my system has ozone entering from the filter pump, oxygen would tend to collect at the top of the filter tank. At prime, the brief full speed pump would evacuate the air in the tank, but then it would start to accumulate over the next 11 hours of low speed pump running. I don't know how low the water level might get, but when I opened the manual air bleed after seven or eight hours, I might get ten seconds of air before water gushed out. The solution was to add an external air bleed--essentially just a T fitting under the pressure gauge with a small hose running to just past the heater where it feeds back into the water returning to the pool. Now, the tank is always full of water, so the whole filter is available. My air in the tank was due to the O3 being sucked in, but I think a little bit of air in the tank may be normal...or why would there be an internal air bleed built into the tank.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!! Very helpful. Yes I am aware of the alge and will have that fixed with the links provided.I was more concerned about the filter Cartridge only being half used. The old one I took out I saw dirt up to the top. The house I rented the pool was left unattended for some time it looks like. I will work on my signature shortly with all my equipment details. Again thanks to everyone.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!! Very helpful. Yes I am aware of the alge and will have that fixed with the links provided.I was more concerned about the filter Cartridge only being half used. The old one I took out I saw dirt up to the top. The house I rented the pool was left unattended for some time it looks like. I will work on my signature shortly with all my equipment details. Again thanks to everyone.

A properly sized filter will go a long time between cleaning. I do mine about every 6 months and could go longer. I've always noticed the same "creep up" phenomenon. As you clean the filter multiple times some particles get permanently logged in the media and don't come off. This will cause the dirtier line to move up and this, along with shorter time to reach the change pressure are indicators it's time to change. Depending on your conditions and if your sizing was done right you can easily get years off your cartridges. I get about 3 years but we have at least one expert that is going on 6 or 7 years.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Arocko712
A properly sized filter will go a long time between cleaning
The first thing I looked at....... Yup, they’re from Florida. This one could go either way because one of the plethora of facts I’ve learned here is that FL builders like small filters.

welcome 712, you are in wonderful hands and most of us came here for an issue and never left.

Reactions: Arocko712
collects in my skimmer socks (actually inexpensive hair nets from Amazon). I clean them out every day or two

I never thought or read about this. And when I clean my cartridge, it's usually full of little stuff.
So, in Amazon, do I look for actual hair nets? I just saw a pack of 100 for $7. That??

N,

Yes, the pack of 100 is what I buy.. They last me forever.

You will most likely have to put a rock in the skimmer basket to keep the hair net from floating up with the pump on slow or off. Make sure the rock is smooth and too big to go down any pipes.

Jim R.

Reactions: nabril15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
N,

Yes, the pack of 100 is what I buy.. They last me forever.

You will most likely have to put a rock in the skimmer basket to keep the hair net from floating up with the pump on slow or off. Make sure the rock is smooth and too big to go down any pipes.

Jim R.

please share the link from amazon. i see too many choices. to these help with the pollen season nearly upon us?
thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.