New fiberglass pool build in OBX- Current stage Fence and Landscape.

Im technically not required to have it. But I like the peace of mind. 500 bucks a year for 250k of coverage is worth it for me.

Exactly. Im sure if I was required to have it, it would be far more. But even though they say it could never flood, you just never know lol. I have the Albemarle sound right behind me. Although last major nor easter that hit the sound actually dried up into the Atlantic vs flooding lol. I think the wind direction plays a major part in that.

I hear you. We are about a mile from the Chesapeake Bay, but aren’t required to have flood insurance (I believe our elevation is 9ft). However, our property is very close to where it is required, so it seemed prudent to get it anyway, because like you said, you never know (since the 1990s the premium has gone from $180 to $600). I’ve lived in this area since 1975 and can tell you flooding is much more common around here than it was back then.

The OBX is in a particularly vulnerable position. Flooding can come from the ocean side or sound side (and no dunes sound side for protection), and often will from BOTH sides as the winds shift in a passing storm.

Nature always has the final say.

Reactions: Newdude
Amazing to me the earth can hold back that water once you dig out for the pool. If not we might be watching one of those shows on "How did they build that?". Divers in hole pouring concrete and rebar etc etc. Those shows are cool but we don't need one from this!

Amazing to me the earth can hold back that water once you dig out for the pool. If not we might be watching one of those shows on "How did they build that?". Divers in hole pouring concrete and rebar etc etc. Those shows are cool but we don't need one from this!
Surprisingly they didn't hit ground water. He had the well point system all ready to go. (were still doing the well system just for extra protection), but PB is surprised they dont have to contend with ground water today, Especially after nearly 3 days of rain. But they dug down nearly 8 feet just to be sure (before starting the actual dig, just wanted to explore first). Now theyre laying out the pool and will start digging.

With the new pier which hopefully is happening in the next few weeks (thats been a nightmare lol between CAMA, labor shortage, lumber prices fluctuating every day, etc) will also be a new seawall/bulkhead so it should hold back the sound pretty well. Thankfully im pretty protected where I am, even though the Atlantic is less than a mile south of me. But CAMA also makes us stay back a certain distance to make sure theres plenty of earth between the structure and water. Its hard to see but theres a faint red line going all along the back of the pool area. Thats our CAMA line we need to stay behind.

Working from home today so I get to sit and watch them progress. I prob wont be very productive today lol.IMG_7263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
got about half way dug and a rain storm came through. Hoping to be fully dug with the bottom shaped out tomorrow. Just been fascinating to watch. They also have to figure out a new plan to get the sand out as the dump truck sunk about 10 seconds into trying to get it back here lol. They started to bring it out scoop by scoop with the tractor but well I understand thats tedious as heck lol. Either Next Monday (07-18) or Wednesday (07-20) for the shell delivery. PB hoping Monday, says he relaxes a lot when the hole has the pool in it and they backfill.IMG_7288.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised you haven't hit water. The water table will be close to the river/sound water surface mean elevation. Looks to be 8 or more feet lower.

Just to update, Not much has changed. Its been storming on and off the past two days and undermines any real work they do. Pool is scheduled to be delivered next Wednesday the 20th. Thankfully they (different contractor) finished the metal roof fully before the storms hit. So less people bumping into each other and we're 100% protected again now.

Behind the scenes we had a minor and major change to the job. Major change is the pool equipment originally I chose to have it put on the far side of the house and close up the window to get proper clearance for the heaters. But project manager noticed the equipment (even the stuff not required to be away from opening windows) would block the only window to a bedroom and we would fail for loss of egress. So its been moved to the other side of the yard and we will convert the slatted wall to a full finished wall to block seeing the equipment from the patio and help with noise. Which im kind of excited about. Most likely will do a Tv and fireplace down there now that it will be dried in. But it makes the pathway super narrow so some trees and shrubs are going to have to come out. Especially once plumbing is in. The black fence to the driveway is temporary and will be a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence to block it from view of the front yard.

Second change is the tile I selected for the pool way back in September when we ordered it wasn't avaliable and they just told us this yesterday lol. They sent PB some options which mostly were porcelain and I am not a fan. I really want glass. Went with the only glass option they had that still would keep us on schedule, which has more brown in it than I would like. But I think it will still look ok. Whatever I can do to stab off the waterline fading. Originally wanted "titanium" but now were getting "Montagne"

They started the platform for the equipment and somewhat screeding the bottom but quit as any work they do just gets messed up with the storms that hit. I think the platform is a little high, im debating asking them to lower it 6-12" just so it doesn't look so huge. Currently its about 3 feet tall. I think 2 foot is plenty.

Ive been told progress is going to slow way down once they get the shell backfilled, water filled, and equipment up and running. He wants it to sit and make sure we have no problems before we concrete, build the decks and landscape. Hoping to be 100% done by September (pool stuff at least) not sure about landscaping and our other back yard projects. Which I'm ok with, Ive thrown this year away to just getting the house finished and figure next summer will be the first "real" summer in this house lol.

Attachments

• IMG_7351.jpg
    IMG_7351.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 6.31.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 6.31.38 PM.png
    557.2 KB · Views: 55
Just to update, Not much has changed. Its been storming on and off the past two days and undermines any real work they do. Pool is scheduled to be delivered next Wednesday the 20th. Thankfully they (different contractor) finished the metal roof fully before the storms hit. So less people bumping into each other and we're 100% protected again now.

Behind the scenes we had a minor and major change to the job. Major change is the pool equipment originally I chose to have it put on the far side of the house and close up the window to get proper clearance for the heaters. But project manager noticed the equipment (even the stuff not required to be away from opening windows) would block the only window to a bedroom and we would fail for loss of egress. So its been moved to the other side of the yard and we will convert the slatted wall to a full finished wall to block seeing the equipment from the patio and help with noise. Which im kind of excited about. Most likely will do a Tv and fireplace down there now that it will be dried in. But it makes the pathway super narrow so some trees and shrubs are going to have to come out. Especially once plumbing is in. The black fence to the driveway is temporary and will be a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence to block it from view of the front yard.

Second change is the tile I selected for the pool way back in September when we ordered it wasn't avaliable and they just told us this yesterday lol. They sent PB some options which mostly were porcelain and I am not a fan. I really want glass. Went with the only glass option they had that still would keep us on schedule, which has more brown in it than I would like. But I think it will still look ok. Whatever I can do to stab off the waterline fading. Originally wanted "titanium" but now were getting "Montagne"

They started the platform for the equipment and somewhat screeding the bottom but quit as any work they do just gets messed up with the storms that hit. I think the platform is a little high, im debating asking them to lower it 6-12" just so it doesn't look so huge. Currently its about 3 feet tall. I think 2 foot is plenty.

Ive been told progress is going to slow way down once they get the shell backfilled, water filled, and equipment up and running. He wants it to sit and make sure we have no problems before we concrete, build the decks and landscape. Hoping to be 100% done by September (pool stuff at least) not sure about landscaping and our other back yard projects. Which I'm ok with, Ive thrown this year away to just getting the house finished and figure next summer will be the first "real" summer in this house lol.
I was pumped to read this update this evening. Enjoying watching this build. Glad you are making progress.

Reactions: TX2OBX
A lot going on for you now!!! SWEET! Gurrrrrrrr on the rain though.............here is hoping they get done with the dirt work soon.

I like that tile! It will look wonderful in the sun with an adult drink in your hand!
Believe me I can't wait for the adult drink floating in the pool lol. I already have the floats just sitting in their boxes waiting. Makes all this worth it. Although other than a complaint from a neighbor through the HOA about noise (beeping machines I guess) and the expense, its been pretty stress free. Ive also been having fun looking at all the other builds going on. Neat to compare.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH! Do you have your test kit yet???? If not look in my siggy below to find the one that was made for TFP way of maintaining a pool as it has more of the regents we use the most. You are going to have water in your pool FAST! You should get your test kit fast as the office is close to you up there.

OH! Do you have your test kit yet???? If not look in my siggy below to find the one that was made for TFP way of maintaining a pool as it has more of the regents we use the most. You are going to have water in your pool FAST! You should get your test kit fast as the office is close to you up there.
Good thinking. TF pro with salt ordered. I ordered a new robot yesterday and completely forgot about a test kit.

Reactions: kimkats
So delayed today because of high winds and lightning in area. Which im ok with, dont want it blowing into my house or the crane getting hit by lightning lol. I think Friday is our new day. But they might show up tomorrow who knows?

But I got impatient to see it and drove the 45 min drive each way to just drive by the lot and see if I could find the shell. I did and im a little anxious on the color lol. Hopefully TFP Can talk me down a bit.

IT seems "shinier" thank I was expecting. Its to late to change anything now so is what it is. IM not sure what color it ended up being at this point. Back in January PB was told "ocean blue G3" wasn't available and they could do G2 instead. I stupidly impulsively said do "night sky g3", which I later thought was way to dark. PB swears they still did my original pick of ocean blue g3. If its G2 or G3 I wouldn't care. Theres an awesome picture of G2 on Latham's website that im hoping its close too. Sometimes I think its night sky other times I think it is ocean blue. Not sure lol. Also attaching the pic from lath ams website of the color im hoping to get close to. Ocean G2 is pictured. next to actual pool pics. But the Latham shot looks greyer blue where this is more deep purply blue to me.

But im also regretting the tile, I kind of wish at this point I had left the tile off and saved 4500 bucks. It looks a little funny to me on a fiberglass pool. But here we are lol. Hopefully when its got water in it I will relax.

Another annoying find is it looks like the second skimmer was left off. (was supposed to be on right side of pool next to the spa. IM going to hopefully convince the PB to cut in another one on site. But he always says he hates cutting into pools and likes everything factory done. But this is one of those things I'm gonna press on. Especially after reading all about the unfortunate thread of someone having to dig up and run a new line. If god forbid that happens to me (even with those little grates ordered to put in the skimmer) I def want the back up of a second skimmer. So hopefully that wont be too much of an argument with PB.

Test kit and Robot arrived today though, so im ready other than I need to make a trip to Walmart and buy some bleach just to keep the water as clear as possible before they get the equipment up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_7914.jpg
    IMG_7914.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 7.09.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 7.09.04 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The tile only looks "out of place" now because the shell is sitting on a lot and itself is out of place. Once it gets in the hole all pretty, with water in it, it does look great, even on a FG shell. My builder had theirs done with the Latham tiles and another friend theirs as well. Looks slick, wish it wouldn't have costed so much or I would have gone with the tiles.

For the color, I can't really tell from the picks, but I have the Ocean Blue G3 and love it. Seen a few ocean blue G2's around here, and they look great to,

I did and im a little anxious on the color lol. Hopefully TFP Can talk me down a bit.
I got you. Check out post # 4. My new liner ranges from electric blue at lunch on a sunny day, to ink black at sundown. The old one in post # 5, which was much darker overlapped almost all of the shades seen.

For the record, I believe yours looks splendid !!

Reactions: TX2OBX
I have to pile on with the others. I think it looks great now and it's only going to look better once its in the ground and filled with water :cool:. My neighbor in my old home had a pool that looked very similar and it looked awesome when it was filled and everyone was swimming!

Appreciate all the positive feedback y'all, and the links to others, never realized how much the color can change depending on about 5 billion variables lol. I think the tile is throwing me off because it looks unfinished without it being in the ground and cantilevered decking overtop the pool to hide the edges. Officially not regretting anything (with the pool lol) at the moment anymore. Just gotta get the second skimmer handled and hopefully smooth sailing again.

The tile only looks "out of place" now because the shell is sitting on a lot and itself is out of place. Once it gets in the hole all pretty, with water in it, it does look great, even on a FG shell. My builder had theirs done with the Latham tiles and another friend theirs as well. Looks slick, wish it wouldn't have costed so much or I would have gone with the tiles.

For the color, I can't really tell from the picks, but I have the Ocean Blue G3 and love it. Seen a few ocean blue G2's around here, and they look great to,
Just finished going through your build thread. I def love the color seeing it installed and up and running. I think I got some version of ocean blue for sure. Jury is still out on whether its g2 or g3 though. Will have to wait for close up look, I only saw it from the shoulder of the highway. Didn't want to just wonder around and get yelled at.

Reactions: gingrbredman
I think we all second guess colors (especially us FG owners who don't have to change liners or re-do the finish for MANY years - we are stuck with it). I have thought that I might have gone grey if I had done some more research on color.... however, I look at the blue pool and love it every time. I have a different manufacturer, and there are sparkles in the gelcoat. So without water it looked very different than with water.... and in sunlight, sunset, night time... etc. the color is ever changing. You won't regret it.

Reactions: Wolfepack88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.