New DIY Vinly Pool Build - (OH)

Do you have 2 separate 2" pipes that are connected to 2 separate sets of 2 main drains?

If yes, I would combine them at the pump.

The 5' elevation adds 5 feet of head loss to the suction.

For (2) 2" pipes combined carrying 120 gpm, the dynamic head loss is about 7.5 feet.

So, that's 12.5 feet total head loss for the suction.

I would use an Intelliflo XF for both sets of sheers.
Yes, 4 main drains set on 2” all the way to the pump. Each water sheer has a single 2” ran to them.

The Intelliflo XF takes 2.5" pipe to the inside of the union connection or a 3" fitting to the outside.

I would use a 3" coupling to the suction and then a 2.5 x 3" Jandy NeverLube 2 way valve inside the coupling.

I would put a 3" T to the other side of the valve and then bring both 2" lines into the 3" T using 3 x 2 reducer bushings.

At the output of the pump, I would use a 3" coupling, a 2.5" x 3" Jandy check valve, then two 3" Ts to distribute the water to the returns. Put a separate 2" Jandy valve on each line so that you can control the flow to each sheer.

The check valve will prevent loss of prime when the pump is off.

If you have to open the pump lid, close the 2 way valve to prevent loss of prime.

Last edited:
FIgured I would update everyone on my automation search. I have gone with GE 240V z wave wifi control boxes and zwave switch for the lights. This is the cheap way for automation of pumps and lights. I have the main circulation pump to run 1 hour every 12 hours and the waterfalls to only on when I turn on the Waterfall option i set up. Cheap and easy way to automate.

1 step forward and three steps back..... had a company out digging piers for the deck. I mis measured (due to needing a pier between the underground cable and electric) and hit one of my skimmer return pipes. Absolutely destroyed it. Resulted in what should have been an easy day turning into moving three tons of rock and fixing the plumbing. Which then turned into me hitting another pipe with the blade. A 1/16 inch cut into the outside of a my return pipe. Can’t win for nothing today. For good measure I cut it and am rerouting it as well as the other pipe.
I think the good news is I had a slow leak that I simply couldn’t find. Pressure tests came back fine and everything. Well when I cut the skimmer pipe and inserted a two inch Hayward clean out plug. The pipe kept drizzling water after I sucked it dry with a vac. After removing it and screwing in a home made pressure tube for testing with Teflon, the water stopped. Well my genius installed the pipe clean out on both skimmers with out Teflon 6 months ago not thinking about it. I removed both and inserted winter plugs with an o-ring. Let’s see if that helps solve the leak, I think it will. EADA1E2F-A5C5-4D93-AE5A-4EEFD7019676.jpeg5E2E34E1-E3D6-4638-A839-7D7FE4FF4059.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don’t really want to spend 2x on one
A regular high head pump is a horrible choice for a water feature.

A high head pump on a low head application is likely to cavitate.

A water feature or IntelliFloXF would be a better choice.

A regular high head pump is a horrible choice for a water feature.

A high head pump on a low head application is likely to cavitate.

A water feature or IntelliFloXF would be a better choice.

So your 100% right. I picked up a 120gpm Hayward 2hp to run it for this year. It does a good job and shoots all 8’ of waterfall about 18” away from the wall. But aiming for 24” plus. Although, without filter its running 24” but with the filter it’s killing it. Will be upgrading to the intelliflo next year and using this 2hp on my recirculating side and selling the 1.5hp the kit came with.

So your 100% right. I picked up a 120gpm Hayward 2hp to run it for this year. It does a good job and shoots all 8’ of waterfall about 18” away from the wall. But aiming for 24” plus. Although, without filter its running 24” but with the filter it’s killing it. Will be upgrading to the intelliflo next year and using this 2hp on my recirculating side and selling the 1.5hp the kit came with.
Also, no cavitation because I’m drawing enough water from the quad main drains

Very nice. I never considered a waterfall wall with my vinyl pool...if I were doing it again I might go that route.

Reactions: driyac
Let the dirt END!!!! Sweet!
Thank you! I applaud pool builders. The amount of overthinking I’ve done has driven me mad. Bonding this, bonding that, did I do it to code is it correct, are the slopes good, is my plumbing got a leak how about the liner? Jeesh!
The concrete felt like it was never going to end. Ended up over 45 yards in total. All of which had of be pumped in. One really long day for 10 guys. Now to deal with this national backorder on pool fencing. Then to deal with building my deck with these crazy lumber prices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.