New Construction Started - Willis, TX (north of Houston)

Dang, that seems pretty obvious, at least a hey PB the owner has some black lines just hanging out, any idea???
One would think (or at least hope)...

The last conversation I had with the PM was he was going to have someone unearth the line. That's going to take some laborious digging and creative sleuthing.

That's going to take some laborious digging and creative sleuthing.
Where / what is the other end of the pipe that they covered ?

1 inch poly was $90 for 300ft at the irrigation supply. Even without my buddies business account it would have been about $125. It's about $60 for 100ft at HD/Lowes. It seems like it would make more sense to abandon that section and splice a new piece between the 2 ends that you have better access to.

You need the correct paddle and the correct T for the correct flow rate.
I found this tee (also available in 3/4"). Is the location on the outlet side of the heater an issue? I don't know what size paddle is required. I'll have to do more research.

1669231031071.png

Where / what is the other end of the pipe that they covered ?

1 inch poly was $90 for 300ft at the irrigation supply. Even without my buddies business account it would have been about $125. It's about $60 for 100ft at HD/Lowes. It seems like it would make more sense to abandon that section and splice a new piece between the 2 ends that you have better access to.
The other end of the line connects to a pvc header that is buried under the walkway. I'm worried that when deck crew installed the cinder blocks for the walkway and steps, they might have damaged the flex/funny pipe causing it to leak. This could then cause a wash-out over time.

Reactions: Newdude
Fast forward to 1/11/23. Construction was completed in late November. There are still some minor punch-list items to be completed.

However the weir wall is not level causing an uneven flow over the wall. Additionally there are flow issues in some grout lines. There have been two attempts to correct the issue to no avail. The mason crew is here to try once again. I have posted a video to youtube to better illustrate the problem with the weir and the uneven flow -

The mason contractor seems to be "low tech" and uses string levels to try to remedy the problem. I've advised the PB on more than one occasion that I feel a laser level/transit is required due to the precision needed to balance the wall.

Is the third time the charm? I fear not...

Attachments

• Weir.jpg
    Weir.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Weir1.jpg
    Weir1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 27
Check the Power in Watts, Speed in RPM, the Flow in GPM and the System Pressure in PSI from the pump display.

You have to put the system into Service Mode to check the flow and system pressure.

The flow seems a little bit weak, but you do have a long wall, so it is difficult to get a good strong flow that is even at the trailing edge.

You should be getting at least 157 gpm, which should give about a 5/16" lift at the leading edge at 6.28 gpm per foot of wall at 25 feet.

If we want 3/8" of lift, that comes to 207 GPM.

Is the filter bypass open?

Is the pump at full speed?

1673451781130.png

1673451931107.png

They probably should have used a bullnose tile for the leading and trailing edges.

People don't really look at the flow going into the trough.

The main effect is what does it look like from the deck at the far end of the pool looking towards the infinity edge?

Can you estimate the amount of lift that you are getting?

Lift is the height of the water above the weir wall.
1673452589676.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fast forward to 1/11/23. Construction was completed in late November. There are still some minor punch-list items to be completed.

However the weir wall is not level causing an uneven flow over the wall. Additionally there are flow issues in some grout lines. There have been two attempts to correct the issue to no avail. The mason crew is here to try once again. I have posted a video to youtube to better illustrate the problem with the weir and the uneven flow -

The mason contractor seems to be "low tech" and uses string levels to try to remedy the problem. I've advised the PB on more than one occasion that I feel a laser level/transit is required due to the precision needed to balance the wall.

Is the third time the charm? I fear not...
Ummmm, we are gonna need some final pics of the project here....

Reactions: JamesW
Ummmm, we are gonna need some final pics of the project here....
Sure thing. I'm just not sure when.

1/31/23 update:
  1. Third attempt on 1/11 at correcting the weir wall on failed. Still uneven flow into the basin. PB's owner made a site visit on 1/17 to see the problem first hand. I was advised that they would correct the issue. Not sure when the next attempt will be or what the approach will be. I expressed my desire that a rotary laser be used and operated by someone trained to do so in order to balance the weir effectively. Rain has been an issue for the past week.
  2. A leak developed on the main filter outlet nozzle and the heater indicates an error (it's not been used yet). PB advised both would be covered under Pentair warranty. Pentair tech came out on 1/23, repaired the leak but advised the issue with the heater was electrical and the PB's electricians would need to remedy. Electricians came out yesterday and pointed back to Pentair advising there is no issue on their end. Additionally, they were to finally connect the flow switch to the heater but advised if they did, the heater warranty would be rendered null and void.

Oh yeah, the last time the masons were out to work on the wall, they were sloppy and dropped thin set into the pool and basin and it's adhered to the plaster.

Attachments

• Thinset.jpg
    Thinset.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 13
Additionally, they were to finally connect the flow switch to the heater but advised if they did, the heater warranty would be rendered null and void.
The manual talks about installing a Flow Switch.

So, it's nonsense that the builder is saying that installing a flow switch will void the warranty.

Contact Pentair and ask them if the warranty will be void.

All you are doing is adding an extra layer of security by putting the flow switch in series with the pressure switch, which can only make it safer.

To me, it sounds like your builder is incompetent.

1675186260402.png

Reactions: Duffatola
The manual talks about installing a Flow Switch.

So, it's nonsense that the builder is saying that installing a flow switch will void the warranty.

Contact Pentair and ask them if the warranty will be void.

All you are doing is adding an extra layer of security by putting the flow switch in series with the pressure switch, which can only make it safer.

To me, it sounds like your builder is incompetent.

View attachment 471320

It was the electrician who made that comment. Thanks for the info and advice!

Reactions: JamesW
Did they follow the schematic that we had?

Can you draw a schematic of what exists now?

Looking at pictures is difficult when the pipes are all crowded.

I would not run the heater until you verify the plumbing is correct.

Is the flow switch on the bypass line?

How is that going to work?

The flow switch has to be on the inlet or outlet line with no diversions.

Did they follow the schematic that we had?

Can you draw a schematic of what exists now?

Looking at pictures is difficult when the pipes are all crowded.

I would not run the heater until you verify the plumbing is correct.

Is the flow switch on the bypass line?

How is that going to work?

The flow switch has to be on the inlet or outlet line with no diversions.
Here is the schematic per field installation. After finally utilizing a laser level, the PB took another stab at leveling the weir. Progress was made but there are still 3 tiles that are too high causing an uneven flow over the weir and they will have to be adjusted. Two intellivalves were in a failed state I was advised by the company handling warranty issues that they valves have been problematic. The internals were changed out and I am monitoring.

Attachments

• Filter Pump Plumbing Actual Field Design.pdf
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.