New Construction in Central California

jchibante

Jan 30, 2020
Central California
Hello Everybody. I've already learned so much from this forum and I'm getting close to pull the trigger on having my first pool built. Looking for feedback on the design, equipment, everything lol.

Here are the details:
28'6" long, 18'6" wide, 3'6" shallow, 6' deep.
Plumbing: 1 skimmer, 1 AutoMatic Fill, 3 deck jets
Electrical/Lighting: 1 Universal Color Logic Light, 60 amp Intermatic Panel with filter timer and switching for lights at panel, 50 amp sub panel for above ground hot tub (I'm providing hot tub)
Filter: 3025 SwimClear Cartidge Filter
Pump: Hayward TriStar 950 VS
Cleaner: Hayward AquaNaut Suction Sweep
Coping: Bullnose Cantiliver Brick
Decking: about 1500sqft of stamped concrete with 29 linear feet of deck drain
Interior Finish: Wet Edge Primerastone in Midnight Breeze
Barrier: 1 Reverse Gate with 3 door alarms

Total price is $52k

I'm leaning towards a SWCG after everything I've learned on this site, but the builder has steered me away from it both times I've mentioned it. He seems very against it, but I think I'm going to put my foot down on it.

pool 3d.jpgpool plan.jpg

Hi there, welcome to TFP and glad to hear you've already learned a lot from here....

I would definitely lose the suction side cleaner.....go with a robot. Works 1,000x better!

Also go with the SWG ignoring whatever complaints the pool builder has (have you *asked* him what his issue is about them??). You may have already read the fact that *all* pools after a couple of years turn into salt water pools because every chemical you add breaks down and leaves some residual salt behind. It really adds up faster than one realizes.

I'll leave the rest of the equipment reviews to those folks who know more about the pumps and filters than I.

Welcome to posting.... I hope you'll take lots of pics of the build and share the details with us as you progress.

Maddie :flower:

Additional thoughts- I estimate your pool to be about 18,000 gallons. Nice!

The stand alone hot tub is soooooo much nicer than those built in spas. The seats are more comfortable, the water gets hotter, the jets more powerful. And you can place them in a convenient spot for winter time dashes from house to tub!

Maddie :flower:

J,

I would trade all the deck jets in the world for an additional skimmer. :mrgreen: Two skimmers work better and if one gets clogged, nothing bad will happen. Well worth the few extra bucks they cost..

You did not say, but make sure there are 4 pool returns, basically one on each wall..

I agree with the idea of dumping the water powered cleaner and going with a low voltage Robot cleaner. It is like using an old rotary dial phone or a cell phone. I suggest that you just buy the Robot on your own, so you don't have to pay the pool builder's markup.

I would not have a pool, if it couldn't be a saltwater pool.. Make sure any SWCG is rated for at least 2 x the volume of the pool. So for a 20K pool, you need a 40K cell. This is because the cell is rated when running at 100%, 24/7..

With a SWCG, having a VS pump is almost mandatory, so no changes there..

I have a standalone Spa, and find that is is much more convenient and comfortable than an in-ground spa.. But have to admit it does not have the visual impact that the in-ground spas have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

To make sure you are both on the same page, have the pool depth noted at 2 foot increments on the drawing. Can't say how many times people said the "standard"/expected depth profile wasn't followed. There isn't standard and expectations not in writing are wishes.

Hi and thanks for letting us help build your pool!

The one thing I would take away/change is that bench across the shallow end wall. This will make your shallow end bigger and it will open up the swim lane from wall to wall. I would have it end where the 33" step it. That bench on the right side of the pool will be well used for chatting and TV watching if there is one on the patio.

I would love to see where this pretty pool will be going!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.