New Construction: Cathedral City CA

Thanks Dirk & Kim! We did get the baking soda, but will hold off adding anything. I'll chill on the pH and see where it goes.

I did check out the IntellipH, looks like a sweet piece of equipment!

I waited a good nine months before taking the leap. With my city's high TA water, and my SWG, I have a pretty good sense that MA dosing will be constant, forever. Maybe a little less when my pool is finally cured, but still constant, and forever. That was my justification for the IntellipH.

What is your fill TA? If you have naturally low TA, your pool might eventually settle to the point where MA dosing is just once a week, or even every other week. Here's hoping for ya!

I wanted ya all to be the first to know ... I was just texted that the pool builder has agreed to re-pebble the pool. I'm waiting to hear if they will use another color from Stonescapes instead of Aqua Cool since I've heard from two sources that there is a known issue with the blue pebbles clumping together. Since we are going on vacation, we're debating on waiting until we return so we can be here for the first month of start up.

WHAT????????? OH yeah!!!! :party:

Now will they do a full chip out or try to just chip out by the lights and returns?

The reason for doing a full chip out is for down the road. When it comes time for new plaster (hopefully not for a long, long time!) they will be able to just chip out the returns and lights. This will be a big savings for you at that time. Of course the PB will want to do what is easy for him but maybe not.....but I wanted to tell you about the difference so you would know so you can make an informed decision.

WHAT????????? OH yeah!!!! :party:
Now will they do a full chip out or try to just chip out by the lights and returns?

Hmm, I don't know. By "chip out by the lights and returns" does that mean chip out everything but not the plaster/pebble near the lights and returns?

I've told them I want a slightly different colored pebble, since I heard from two different sources that the blue stone in Aqua Cool has issues. Aqua White has no blue chips, but produces a similar water color. Also, they previously said IF they needed to re-pebbel, they would redo the tiles on the bottom of the pool and the stairs and get it right this time. They said it would take 2 weeks, so it seems that it will be a full chip out.

"just chip out by the lights and returns" means that is the only place they will chip out. The rest of the plaster will be left in the pool. So in essence you will have two layers of plaster.

With them saying it could take 2 weeks it does sound like a full chip out. Put up all out side furniture as it is going to make a mess.

Kim:kim:

Yay for getting it done over, and getting it done right. You absolutely should plan to be there for everything: the tile, the pebble and the startup, the entire two weeks and the entire month startup. This is your second chance do-over to use everything you just learned to get the perfect tile, the perfect finish, and the perfect startup. Not many of us get a do-over to correct what we each don't like about our own pools. Well done!! And I'd be cautious about rescheduling too close to the projected finish date. You know how these things tend to stretch out.

And not to belittle the PB's generosity and integrity for the do-over, it could have gone down any number of worse ways, but the tile was not a gesture. There's virtually no economical way to save existing tiles, he was going to have to replace them even if you didn't want him to. I loved my original tiles, but my replaster guys said they had to go. $900 to replace them.

So congrat's on having a stand up PB. That's awesome.

Thanks for all your support and advice. I will confirm that this is a full "chip out", hopefully that will not be another bridge to cross. They are looking at their schedule regarding not starting next week. Though I did say that the two weeks before we go on vacation could be doable, but I now that I think about that - I'm sure they will come up with delays which means they would be working while I'm gone (they texted me that I did not have to be present for the job ... like heck I won't :)

When they contact me next, I'll just say it has to be after Aug 12. If they need to wait until Sept, I'll do that as opposed to them doing anything while I'm not there.

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's smart to get it done sooner than later. You never know what might happen to the contractor between now and the end of the re-do (changes his mind, goes bankrupt, dies, etc). Bird in the hand.

That said, I opted for October for my re-do, because I didn't want to lose any pool season, I wanted it done when the ground was the absolute driest (I was paranoid about ground water float), and I wanted it done when the air was cool, thinking that would be better for the curing. So then I used the entire winter for my startup, ran the pool as non-SWG, and then added salt and more CYA in the spring.

Really not trying to influence your schedule, just sharing mine...

Hello All,

The pebble redo has not been scheduled yet, but it will be after we return from vacation. Currently we are maintaining the pool as a chlorine pool. Our neighbor who maintains pools has agreed to take care of it for the 10 days we will be gone.

I'm checking and adjusting the FC and pH daily, though the pH target is 7.2, when I test it the following morning after putting the MA in around 7pm the night before, it tests out at 7.5. If I don't put any MA in, it takes two days to get close to 7.8. Not sure if I should set my target lower so I reach 7.2. I do remember being told that every pool has a pH that is best for them, maybe 7.5 is mine.

My question right now is my low TA and high CH. Since the plaster is being redone in the next month or so, do I need to be concerned with it?

FC: 5.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH:430 to 450
CYA:40
CSI: -.23
Temp: 88

My question right now is my low TA and high CH. Since the plaster is being redone in the next month or so, do I need to be concerned with it?

pH: 7.5
CH:430 to 450
CYA:40
CSI: -.23
Temp: 88

Not really. Your CSI indicates that calcium scaling would not likely occur anywhere, the rest of the numbers are fine.

I am, thanks! It's still rougher than I like, but another poster here was right, I'm getting used to it. Kids don't even notice it. I enjoy looking at the teeny, tiny little pebbles in the deep end through my crystal clear TFP water!

Looking forward to hearing you rave about your new finish and TFP water, coming soon to a pool near you!! ;)

I am not seeing a SWG. Do you have one?

Vacation-by then I am hoping everything will settle down with the pool. Do you have a tower/tube to put tablets/pucks in?

I have a couple of ideas. I will share them after I get the above answers.

Hi Kim!

Well that time has come. Our 10 day vacation starts next Friday.

Our next door neighbor has a pool cleaning company and does some of our other neighbors pools. I'm meeting with him on Monday to discuss my expectations. I'm hoping he will be willing to come every couple days to put chlorine in. Since the refill, I've managed our pool as a chlorine pool and the SWG has been set to zero, waiting for the new full chip out and repebble next month.

I have had a real challenge trying to add enough chlorine to keep the FC above 3.0 or the pH below 7.5 for more than a day or two. Yesterday morning my numbers were:
CC: 0
pH:7.5
Temp: 91
CSI: -.21
(the numbers below were from 6 days ago)
CH: 450
CYA: 40

Yesterday morning I added 50oz of 10.5% liquid bleach and 50oz of 14.5% MA - trying to see if I could go at lease two days without adding more (in anticipation of our neighbor on;y agreeing to come twice a week.

This evening my FC was 3.5 and pH 7.5.

I think I'm most concerned about the FC dropping too low in our 110 to 120° heat. I'd hate for our PB to come after we return to see algae in the pool.

In your post from last May you mentioned you had some suggestions about using a tube and pucks. Since we are a non SWG pool now, I think I should look into that. What would you suggest?

THANKS!
York

For the short term - would this work?
Small quantity of tablets:https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors/N-5yc1vZbx82/Ntk-all/Ntt-chlorine%2Btablet?NCNI-5&Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE%7C0

Dispenser:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Floating-Chlorine-Dispenser-62155/203796267

Get the 3" floater puck dispenser (~$10) and the 5# bucket of plain pucks at Home Depot. Load the floater with 4 pucks. Put in the pool when you leave. Have your neighbor add the chlorine as you planned. You should be good.

See if Kim has the same idea -------

Get the 3" floater puck dispenser (~$10) and the 5# bucket of plain pucks at Home Depot. Load the floater with 4 pucks. Put in the pool when you leave. Have your neighbor add the chlorine as you planned. You should be good.

See if Kim has the same idea -------

Thanks MK...

Do I need the 5 pounds of tablets? I don't think I will need them after the 10 days?

The package says that 1 tablet is for 10k or water. Our pool is 10k. Will 4 tables over chlorinate the pool, or just dissolve over the 10 days?

They dissolve over the days. It hopefully will keep the chlorine high.

You can always use the pucks later. I have started putting some in a floater when we leave for more than a week in the summer. Even with the SWCG running. It adds some acid to the system and an additional source of chlorine. Your CYA will also degrade in the summer so using a puck now and then adds that too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.