New Build - Vinyl Lagoon in North Carolina

I really like your dark liner...great looking pool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! We love it! Here it is full! It's not the best picture but I figured I would wait until the pool was running and the pollen skimmed off before giving a final picture.
57aaf194b3332a9fe3281673fcb12514.jpg
452acd45aca8aefc9faee60ff27e2cc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, it's been a slow process starting the pool since it was filled. I'm not very happy about that although the Pool Builder thought it would be best if we waited for the cold snaps to blow through. Now I have a mess of a pool between the pollen and debris. I've cleaned out as much as I could.

I haven't gone through Pool School with him yet and he's told me not to do anything but also informed us that we could swim now if we wanted (ummmmm, no thanks, lol. The pollen and dirt on the bottom as well as the 57° water has me saying no). I tester today because I just couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if I did this right or not but here is what I got (I may not have done this correctly):

CC: 0
PH: 7.8
Salt: 2800
TA: 300 (is this even possible??)
CH: 350 (is this even possible??)

My husband doesn't want me to do anything until after Pool school but I'm dying over here. Do my numbers look impossible and insane? I didn't test for CYA because I don't think he added it but it was also getting dark and I know it needs to be sunny.

Sunny, did you test the fill water? I can't remember and am too lazy to look back LOL

TA is the last thing we adjust so that is okay for now. It IS high but it is easy to fix. Time consuming but easy. We will work on it.

PH is really not that bad. It will sneak higher though so that does need to be watched. TA and PH go hand in hand. Right now you are fine

CH-the fill water may be that high. TX and AZ deal with this and more all of the time. It is fine for your vinyl.

FC is the one I worry about as without FC you may get algae. The cool temps are working in your favor. I would think about putting in a jug of bleach if there are no pucks in the feeder.

:hug: tell you hubby you have gone to the finest Pool School out there! TFP! LOL But your PB does hold the warranty card so hubby is right to tread with care for right now.

Kim:kim:

Sunny, did you test the fill water? I can't remember and am too lazy to look back LOL

TA is the last thing we adjust so that is okay for now. It IS high but it is easy to fix. Time consuming but easy. We will work on it.

PH is really not that bad. It will sneak higher though so that does need to be watched. TA and PH go hand in hand. Right now you are fine

CH-the fill water may be that high. TX and AZ deal with this and more all of the time. It is fine for your vinyl.

FC is the one I worry about as without FC you may get algae. The cool temps are working in your favor. I would think about putting in a jug of bleach if there are no pucks in the feeder.

:hug: tell you hubby you have gone to the finest Pool School out there! TFP! LOL But your PB does hold the warranty card so hubby is right to tread with care for right now.

Hi Kim,

I didn't do a full test on the fill water but I will when I get home. I know he holds the warranty but I wish he would get this up and running 100%! I'll post my results later today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, I made it home to test. This time, I bought my test water inside and I used the speedstir. Oh my word, that thing is awesome! Is it ok for me to leave it on during the entire test or does that mess up results? Her is what I came up with this time:

Fill Water:
FC: 2
pH: 7.0
TA: 60
CH: 75

Pool Water:
FC: 0
pH: 7.8
Salt: 2200
CH: 300

I'm thinking about going ahead and adding a little chlorine this evening before I go to bed. There is a lot of stuff at the bottom of the pool that I really want to vacuum but I don't know how to work the vacuum. It looks like pool school with my pool builder will be early next week.

What vacuum do you have? I bet I can teach you how to use it!!!!! Shot me a picture and we will go from there!

I would add some FC just to be on the safe side.

Hi!
Sorry it took me so long to write back. The Pool Builder and I were going back and forth for a while until I talked him into coming out on Sunday evening to give me a mini-pool school session so I can begin caring for the pool and working on balancing it using the TFP method. I actually didn't have the vacuum head because he had to bring it to us but it all worked out. I'm pleasantly surprised with his approach to pool care. He didn't shun any information I conveyed to him that I learned on this forum and he agreed with most of it. After my initial vacuuming I'm convinced....I NEED A ROBOT! LOL! I have a couple of questions for the group but I need to wait until I get home so I can remember them all.

Ok, here are my current test results. I didn't measure my liquid chlorine and went a little on the high side by accident. Lesson #1, don't guess.

FC: 8
pH: 7.7 (it's a tad lighter than 7.8)
CYA: 0 (I started adding CYA tonight). It's in a sock in the skimmer.
CH: 300
Salt: 3000

I'm working on getting my CYA to 70 and my FC back down to 5. I still have some dirt at the bottom of the pool even through I have vacuumed and back washed twice. I feel like my vacuum doesn't pick up like it should but I also have no comparison.

My kid and his friends decided to go swimming tonight. I didn't think the high FC was too much of a concern but now I'm doubting myself. They should be ok, right?

Forgot to add, since the FC is so high, I lowered my Salt cell to 10% from 50%. Is that ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They will be fine. It is a little high so their suits might be a little lighter than before. I would go out and squeeze the sock to get the CYA dissolved and into the pool.

Keep a journal of your levels and what your cell is set at. After a while you will get it dialed in. There will be some tweaking as you learn it all. The weather will play a role in the tweaking as it changes. You are in a major leaning curve right now so don't worry too much. We can help as needed. You are doing a fine job!

:hug:

They will be fine. It is a little high so their suits might be a little lighter than before. I would go out and squeeze the sock to get the CYA dissolved and into the pool.

Keep a journal of your levels and what your cell is set at. After a while you will get it dialed in. There will be some tweaking as you learn it all. The weather will play a role in the tweaking as it changes. You are in a major leaning curve right now so don't worry too much. We can help as needed. You are doing a fine job!

:hug:

Thank you, Kim! Learning curve is right! I do research on this site every night and now that I'm in the game I feel like I know nothing. Lol!

My levels are getting better (still low on CYA and TA but my pool builder is still helping so I've been bringing my levels up slowly since he's not a fan of the levels I'm working towards) and we have been working diligently on our landscaping. Still ALOT of work ahead of us! My Pool Builder came by today and took pictures with his drone.
84eb607c3a30572330099b94a1363296.jpg
0e88c33d133952cbf59dc3d788f113a2.jpg
2ac8f38815e0c9f6ccb5914a71cdb41f.jpg
9263bfecbdecf17b9eb15dbead083a88.jpg
46f9361736ef1d5a33ac40e2fd3eb92b.jpg

Reactions: Renhal
My husband and I are looking to build a pool in the next year or so, and I love your pool! How has the shape/size worked for you? One of the pool builders we've talked to seemed to really want us to have a much larger lagoon, but it seemed rather... beastly in size.

My husband and I are looking to build a pool in the next year or so, and I love your pool! How has the shape/size worked for you? One of the pool builders we've talked to seemed to really want us to have a much larger lagoon, but it seemed rather... beastly in size.

Hi! Just saw this! It has worked well for us. We didn’t have room for the larger pool but quite frankly, we didn’t need anything bigger. We love the size!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.