Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! I'm so excited to share our new build that finally got started after a few delays. Digging began yesterday and all I could think about was Kim's favorite saying, "Let the mud begin!" Holy moly what an understatement. Although it hasn't rained too much over the past two days, it has been dreary and damp.

My initial question and quote that I discussed to this forum concerned a completely different pool and builder. We ended up going in a different direction. Here is where we landed. No matter how much research I have done, I still feel like I don't know anything about pools. I'm grateful for this site!

Pool Shape and size: Lagoon 16x34x25, steel steps with liner covering
Pool pump: Intelliflo 2 VST
Filtration: Pentair SD80 with Zeobrite
Sanitation: Pentair Intellichlor 40k
Easytouch and Screen-logic

fullsizeoutput_1234.jpgIMG_2124.jpgIMG_4394.jpgIMG_1219.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

Very nice and exciting! You will pick up on the care quickly, as I was in the same boat as you earlier this year, and this site saved me - only my initial pool store visit occurred!

Do you REALLY already have your test kit??? I also got my test kit BEFORE the pool! I wanted to make sure I could do it!

I LOVE the pool you pick! Something for everyone with that one!

What are your plans around the pool?

Oh yeah on the MUD!!! LOL Don't use any light colored towels to wipe that stuff off as it will stain! Walking on that clay is like skating on ice so be careful!

Keep the end in mind and may have some hair left :roll:

:hug: thanks for letting us share your fun!

Kim:kim:

From the looks of it you have a lot of trees around your pool. I will tell you that I also have several trees around my pool that drop stuff year round. Basically I have to spend an hour cleaning my pool before I even get in. I have come to hate trees so much! Saying that I don't know if you have the budget to cut the trees back (quotes for my area are $4,500 to $5,500) or find a way to avoid having as much tree debris as possible ending up in the pool.

I actually just borrowed a pair of tree climbing spikes and a harness and have started cutting them down my self, unfortunately this has resulted in one broken railing on my deck so far, but two trees are now down and a handful left.

Hi Kim! I really do have my test kit. LOL! I bought that in December. I haven't tested my home water yet but that will be happening this weekend. I just wanted to be ahead of the curve. The only reason I haven't bought the robot yet is because I don't want it just sitting there wasting away warranty time. I keep my eyes on the price however, just in case I need to jump quickly.

I plan on doing a stamped concrete coping and then regular brushed concrete around the that. We haven't had that designed yet because the pool had to keep being moved around. Now that it's finally in place, we will sit down with the builder (again) and design it. Unfortunately, because of our septic system we are much closer to the fence than I would have liked so that will great affect how the design looks. I'll post that as soon as I have it!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we have a fair number of trees. I don't have budget to take down anymore as we already had 11 removed. The good news is we had the worse offenders taken down already so I have to be happy for small wins. I suspect I will have my robot running quite a bit in the swimming season.

That's a good idea about the tree climbing spikes and harness. I would actually try that myself. I will look into it!

I have an idea!!! For the septic area you can put pavers! They can be removed as needed.

Good idea on waiting for the robot to get the as much warranty as you can for when you are using it! Smart move!

:hug: this is fun!

Kim:kim:

We considered that but fortunately we don't have to go that route. That pool is near the repair field (which you are required to have) and we are allowed to put concrete over it. Thank you for your support, Kim! It's so awesome to have a group of people who understand the process and are excited with you :eek:

Hi Everyone! We are in sit and wait mode now. The fence has been installed and electric has been run. We had our first inspection completed and the electric and setbacks have been cleared! Yaaaay! Now we have 6 - 8 weeks to ponder and find a concrete contractor.

The most immediate question I have is, should I be concerned that the pool builder did not complete the vermiculite bottom of the pool? We asked him about it and his answer was they ran out but would clean up everything they had already installed and complete the section they could not finish when they were ready to install the liner. I found some online articles that state you want the bottom to cure for at least two weeks. Just curious if we should push back before that time.
843c06c0765298d42e9943e721db33a2.jpg
d2dcb9f7fed0dcea38ff6b118b167247.jpg

Everything else looks pretty good!
14e7c4fda02e3358d8e189453f13e613.jpg
e903bbc78f27a51327dd1044c31848ee.jpg
5fece24c6e028a1bd1df1bd71ba429c4.jpg
5371f79f66be244e0ad05d56dc47b37c.jpg
ef8f3ca3cd30fcf775ce1c85d88c024d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the color of your liner, I'd consider going with grey skimmers. Not just the face plate, but entirely grey skimmers. They don't stick out as much as the white ones do.

Thank you! Hopefully it's not too late but I'll definitely be reaching out tomorrow. I was outside "watering" the pool today and I have a new list of questions. I'm sure they are expecting something from me since I have been so quiet (unusual).

Depending on the color of your liner, I'd consider going with grey skimmers. Not just the face plate, but entirely grey skimmers. They don't stick out as much as the white ones do.

So I reached out to the PB and they said it's too late on the skimmers. They said if I want to swap out the lid it will be on my dime. We will do something different with the so it doesn't look so stark.

Quick question concerning concrete. We are receiving recommendations to not do a colored stamped concrete coping. The reason cited are it gets super hot, it can snag bathing suits, and it's more money for no reason. Some of the concrete companies are advising that we simply to a regular brushed concrete or colored concrete and if we want to have a border we can have that painted on at a later time. That way we can see if it is even necessary. Does anyone have any experience with Stamped Concrete that they can share?

So we decided not to do the colored stamped concrete border which saved us a bit. They came out today to form and I like the way it turned out. They also offered to give us two umbrella holes. I'm still trying to figure out where to put them. I'm so excited about everything coming together!!!
340e2180b7c4b350bfbcf466f35d93e1.jpg
c73c38668673adfd25b7ea413a6e028e.jpg
d545f927bc816f37562ef4fc999c53e4.jpg

Looking good, we just finished our build a couple weeks ago and it's a very exciting thing to see it take form from hole in the ground to a paradise when finished. What liner are you going with? I was also shocked by the expense of the concrete and also the fence price, but I would lay as much concrete as you can afford so you'll have lots of space for loungers and conversation sets. Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

Looking good, we just finished our build a couple weeks ago and it's a very exciting thing to see it take form from hole in the ground to a paradise when finished. What liner are you going with? I was also shocked by the expense of the concrete and also the fence price, but I would lay as much concrete as you can afford so you'll have lots of space for loungers and conversation sets. Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

Thank you! Yes, we were quite shocked at both as well. My husband did a great job finding pockets on sale which helped a lot. We ended up going with the Loop Loc Platjnum Onyx. Our PB didn't charge us a premium for it because he really wants to see it in a pool. I'm so excited! It's amazing at the number of people coming out of the woodwork telling me they want to provide free water testing and/or weekly care of the pool. I just smile and nod.

I'm looking for your pool build now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.