New Build SEPA

I do not understand why they tied together the suction and returns. What is that pipe circled in yellow for?
This builder uses a scheme they call solar recirculation that allows you to operate in a mode where the main drain acts as a return to circulate water from the top of the pool to the bottom. Hard to find much detail about this online, but I did see a few older posts about it on TFP. Could the tie between the suction and return lines have something to do with that?

Ok, so they plumbed it to give you the option of using the main drain as a drain or as a floor return.

To me that is a lot of complexity of additional valves and management and possibility of messing the valves position up for not much benefit. If you wanted a floor return for better circulation I would have just added one in addition to the main drain.

How many skimmers do you have?

Spa?

Last edited:
To me that is a lot of complexity of additional valves and management and possibility of messing the valves position up for not much benefit. If you wanted a floor return for better circulation I would have just added one in addition to the main drain.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll ever even use this function, but I think they build all their pools this way.

I asked about the pre fab pad vs. a poured pad. I was going to pour my own pad and then have them put the fiberglass pad on top. My PM said the poured pad could crack over time and that the fiberglass pad would hold up better. I saw 4 pools from your builder and all had that same pad. Only 1 had shifted a bit after 5 years of use, but that pad was installed on an area that was excavated and probably settled incorrectly. Still in tact though. Doesn't look like your setup was disturbed too much, so hopefully it doesn't shift.

Did you find out about the SWG? Maybe they held off on installing it due to you not using salt for the first 30 days anyway. I've read here that the dust is not good for the SWG cell and also the heater. PM told me the heater and cell was not a problem because it is after the filter, so no dust should get to them. I would have liked to either bypass the heater and SWGC or wait until the brushing and dust are finished, then install them.

Did you find out about the SWG? Maybe they held off on installing it due to you not using salt for the first 30 days anyway.
I asked and got a vague response to the effect of "yeah, the SWG wasn't installed but will be prior to the electricians doing their work". No idea if that's how they planned it or if it was missed on the day of plumbing. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter as long as it can still be installed properly.

Reactions: Vukota12
It actually kinda looks like a pool now. I'm experiencing my first regret in not building the steps into the one side of the tanning ledge so that they aren't sticking out into the shallow end. I knew I would feel that way, but seeing it today really solidifies it. Oh well, c'est la vie.

20200915_191429.jpg20200915_191445.jpg20200915_191440.jpg

Now, to somehow make it through the winter without going crazy...

21313578-7712301-image-a-230_1574373950521.jpg

Last edited:
Mele kalikimaka!

That's by far my favorite Christmas movie! I can't wait until the day after Thanksgiving so I can watch it again!

Pool is looking good! I wouldn't worry too much about the steps. You'll get used to them. Add that to your list 'for the next pool'. That's what I've had to do with all the things I have found that I would do differently. No reason in letting it upset you. Oddly enough, when you say it out loud like that "If I ever build another pool I'm going to..." it changes the sound of it which helps to ease the frustration. At least for me anyway! 😜

--Jeff

Reactions: Dave1096

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Coping and tile yesterday. Sorry, not much bling as we really like a simpler, more rustic style (boring maybe?), but we love how it's all beginning to come together. Electrical next then decking. 20200921_154520.jpg20200921_154528.jpg20200921_154811.jpg20200921_154439.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great! I know the day they poured my decking was my favorite day. That was the day the mud started to become less!

--Jeff
Thanks, Jeff! I can't wait. To add to the countless reasons, we adopted a puppy in Feb, and have been holding off on fencing in our backyard until the pool build was at a certain stage. Decking is the last thing before we will have the fence installed, and it can't come soon enough. This dog desperately needs a yard to run in. She's half German, half retriever, and 100% crazy.

Looks great! The coping and tile looks sharp. Not the least bit boring! I like the way they did the coping. We have picked out the same coloring with the coping and tile. So jealous, as we are still waiting to dig. Hopefully, within the next week.

How was watering the gunite? Are you still watering it?

Any chance you could take some pics of what kind of damage they did to your access area? From our street to where the pool will be is pretty far and I'm not looking forward to getting that back in shape.

Any chance you could take some pics of what kind of damage they did to your access area? From our street to where the pool will be is pretty far and I'm not looking forward to getting that back in shape.

Your yard and entry way will look like the aftermath of WW3, at least mine does. Not sure there's any way to avoid it, though. Just gotta fix it all once they're done. My driveway took a beating, too, and will likely need to be repaved, and the street in front of my driveway was gouged by what I assume was the excavator tracks. I hope my township won't have anything to say about that.

20200922_100552.jpg20200922_100731.jpg20200922_100739.jpgScreenshot_20200922-103236_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200922-103246_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200922-103316_Gallery.jpg

How was watering the gunite? Are you still watering it?
Enjoyable/relaxing, actually. Gave me a reason to go outside and be by myself 2-3x/day. I'm still watering just not the coping and tile area. I think today is the last day they said I needed to water as tomorrow will be a week since the shell was shot.

Last edited:
Oh man! Now you are especially gonna want the mud gone! May I suggest picking up one of these (Amazon.com: Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner, Large, Blue (PW720312)) if you haven't already!

I believe you on the crazy part! I'll bet you won't be able to keep her out of the pool next year!

--Jeff
Yeah, those are awesome. We have a very similar product to clean her paws.

I'm actually hoping she's a swimmer. I think the kids will be disappointed if she isn't.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Your yard and entry way will look like the aftermath of WW3, at least mine does. Not sure there's any way to avoid it, though. Just gotta fix it all once they're done. My driveway took a beating, too, and will likely need to be repaved, and the street in front of my driveway was gouged by what I assume was the excavator tracks. I hope my township won't have anything to say about that.

View attachment 163471View attachment 163472View attachment 163474View attachment 163475View attachment 163476View attachment 163477
That’s what I was expecting. My wife has no idea that is what is coming. Is the dirt and grass repair included in your build or are you planning to fix yourself or hire someone?

I find it surprising that they used your driveway, because they told me they DIDN’T want to use mine because it could get damaged. Did they not have any other choice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.