New Build - Rockwall, TX

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
Just finished getting all the quotes and have down-selected to a builder. After we sign the contract I will post some renderings, but initial details are the following:
20' x 37.5' with additional raised spa, approximately 20.6k gallons total. 3.5' to 6' depth.
Pentair Equipment, main variable speed and water feature variable speed, SWG, 400k BTU Heater, EasyTouch
Robot Cleaner
4 ton grotto, 22+' weeping wall
Tanning ledge and benches
StoneScapes mini pebble
Patio extension
Lots of decking
Colors still to be determined.

Wife and kids are finally starting to get excited after going through a couple months of designs and quotes :)

Would love to hear any suggestions on design and build, but will also be looking through the forums.

Ryan

Nice, looks pretty good but a couple of suggestions/questions:
- 3.5' is pretty shallow. Most people want to start closer to 4' in the shallow end.
- What sized SWG, for a 20k pool you want the IC40 or the IC60
- Easy touch is their older automation system, look at the Intellicenter

Reactions: rmontgomery
Nice, looks pretty good but a couple of suggestions/questions:
- 3.5' is pretty shallow. Most people want to start closer to 4' in the shallow end.
- What sized SWG, for a 20k pool you want the IC40 or the IC60
- Easy touch is their older automation system, look at the Intellicenter

Thanks, I think we could increase to 4 without issue.
Already have a question in on the SWG. I have asked if it is the IC40 since we have 20k+.
I will ask about the automation system, but I assume there is probably a substantial cost difference

Will the Grotto be natural stone or sculptured concrete? Do have a pic of what it should look like? The one thing I wish I had for my grotto is a small hose with sprayer to knock down any spider webs or other creepy crawlies that choose to take residence there. It would also help with algae prevention to wash the walls down with chlorinated pool water once in a while while. The issue is you can not do this with reg maintenance outside the pool and who wants to drag a hose out and do maintenance when you are swimming and trying to enjoy the pool and realize you have some freeloaders in there. You would need to have the correct set up in side the Grotto to hide the sprayer or at the very least a spot behind the Grotto you can tuck it out of site.

Last edited:
Ryan,

I also suggest the IntelliCenter.. Overall, the cost is about the same as an EasyTouch + ScreenLogic for PC, Phone, and Tablet control.. I love my EasyTouch, but if I were to build another pool, it would have the new IntelliCenter. Here are a couple of reasons why...

1. The EasyTouch (ET) can only have 12 programs/schedules. The IntelliCenter (IC) can have 100.
2. The ET is not expandable, what you buy is what you get.. The IC is modular and can easily be expanded with additional modules.
3. The ET has a black and white LCD display. The IC has a color touchscreen.
4. The ET requires ScreenLogic for remote control using your phone or PC. The IC has a built in function that allows you to use your PC or Phone.
5. The ET has no ability to link actions together.. The IC has program groups so that pushing one button can turn on several items
6. The cost of an automation system is minuscule compared to the cost of the overall pool construction. It will soon be forgotten.

No matter which automation system you buy, make sure it comes with the internal SWCG power supply..

Make sure you are getting a "real" robot and not what some pool builders call a robot. Real robots operate off of low voltage electricity and not off of your pool pump. Just because it wanders around and cleans your pool does not make it a robot. I would skip the builder's mark-up and buy my own robot..

Make sure you get the biggest filter you can.. The larger the filter, the less you will have to clean it. I suggest a cartridge filter as it eliminates the need for a multiport valve and makes the plumbing simpler.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have asked about the IntelliCenter and extra cost if any.

Currently they have planned on using a Pentair 420 cartridge filter.

I am actually planning on buying the robot on my own. Looking at the Dolphin Premier, Triton Plus or something similar. They have indicated they could provide the M400. Open to suggestions of course if none of these are sufficient. Planning on having them stub for high pressure line in case it never needed to be added.

Included a couple of before picts. Open to ideas on creating a privacy "hedge" along the fence. Patio will be extended to be even with the back of the house. We have a huge greenbelt behind us, so nothing but grass and trees that way :).
PSX_20191015_103716.jpgSkyPicture.jpg

Will the Grotto be natural stone or sculptured concrete? Do have a pic of what it should look like? The one thing I wish I had for my grotto is a small hose with sprayer to knock down any spider webs or other creepy crawlies that choose to take residence there. It would also help with algae prevention to wash the walls down with chlorinated pool water once in a while while. The issue is you can not do this with reg maintenance outside the pool and who wants to drag a hose out and do maintenance when you are swimming and trying to enjoy the pool and realize you have some freeloaders in there. You would need to have the correct set up in side the Grotto to hide the sprayer or at the very least a spot behind the Grotto you can tuck it out of site.

Natural stone. Will provide picts once contract is signed. Don't want to get in trouble with the builder for sharing picts yet. Hose sprayer is a good idea. I might could plumb something after the fact close to it using the main sprinkler line and a small hose bib connected to it.

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Natural stone. Will provide picts once contract is signed. Don't want to get in trouble with the builder for sharing picts yet. Hose sprayer is a good idea. I might could plumb something after the fact close to it using the main sprinkler line and a small hose bib connected to it.

Ryan

Then you would miss out on being able to rinse with chlorinated pool water. It would probably be cheeper just to pull it off the waterfall line since it is already so close to the grotto. Perhaps the Mason could design a small place to tuck it away in the build.

Contract signed today! Very excited and nervous of course. Some pictures of the design and a few more build details...
IntelliCenter included (thanks for the recommendation)
1/2" rebar on 8" centers
600 sq ft of stamped/stained decking
Other details in first post...
Ryan Montgomery - Revised 10-10-19_005.jpgRyan Montgomery - Revised 10-10-19_009.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Smurfdog
Very cool design... Let's get that safety conversation started.. :shock: . Personally I would have no issues at all with it as drawn but then the wife would try to bring me back to reality or her version of reality any way.
Have you given those drop offs the consideration they deserve for the safety of your children / grandchildren (if you have children) or visiting children and the elderly. The one thing you should absolutely do is have a border on all the steps so they pop out and alert the new guy that there is a step there. I realize this is just a pool studio image but I thought I would mention that while we are having the safety talk. I am sure other concerned citizens will chime in with any additional safety concerns .. :)

Do you really need all that elevation change? Has the PB actually shot some grades and figured the elevations? I think if you could at least loose 1 step it would make a huge difference. You could make up the elevation difference on the back side of the rock wall.

Have you seen any grottos or waterfalls that the this PB has done before?

There was a recent post here..

By - "Azmp1"

That has a similar drop from the deck to the pool. You could PM them to see if there is anything they would have done differently.

Very cool design... Let's get that safety conversation started.. :shock: . Personally I would have no issues at all with it as drawn but then the wife would try to bring me back to reality or her version of reality any way.
Have you given those drop offs the consideration they deserve for the safety of your children / grandchildren (if you have children) or visiting children and the elderly. The one thing you should absolutely do is have a border on all the steps so they pop out and alert the new guy that there is a step there. I realize this is just a pool studio image but I thought I would mention that while we are having the safety talk. I am sure other concerned citizens will chime in with any additional safety concerns .. :)

Do you really need all that elevation change? Has the PB actually shot some grades and figured the elevations? I think if you could at least loose 1 step it would make a huge difference. You could make up the elevation difference on the back side of the rock wall.

Have you seen any grottos or waterfalls that the this PB has done before?
Thanks Rich, they did perform multiple elevation measurements, but it may be a little different once built. We will discuss at pre-construction meeting, but this was actually the wife's design, so to change it would be possibly a life threatening decision for me ?
The concrete shown isn't what we are doing. So we could do a different stamped pattern at the steps to allow more of a visual difference
Yes, we have seen some of the grottos and weeping walls they have built. They are pretty impressive.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely talk to the builder about it. We actually have two friends down the street with two different pool builds that have much larger drops. So it's kind of normal here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.