New build Pool balance

Maintain 3ppm of chlorine using liquid chlorine and reduce your pH into the 7s using Muriatic Acid.

What is your calcium level?

Reactions: Supersix
I'm learning the new test kit I could have screwed it up
You’ll get the hang of it pretty quickly and it will soon be second nature. Not only will you no longer be dependent on pool store testing, you’ll appreciate that you can have it done in less than 5 minutes and there’s no need for the hassle of driving to the store!

Edit: Also learn to trust your own results over the pool stores. Most tests done at those stores are by high school kids. And if they are using electronic testing, who knows when the unit was last calibrated. I sometimes compare my results with the pool store and they’ve historically been pretty close. But this year, they were significantly different in a couple of areas, so my guess is that their equipment is out of calibration.

They told me to add 2 gallons of liquid chlorine and 107 fl oz of acid. I have all the products on hand
What % acid do you have?

107oz of 31% muriatic acid in your 17K pool will lower pH by 1.5. That is way too much acid!

What % chlorine do you have?

What % acid do you have?

107oz of 31% muriatic acid in your 17K pool will lower pH by 1.5. That is way too much acid!

What % chlorine do you have?
I have 3-inch silk guard complete chlorine tablets. I added 3 in the floater. I know I won't get instant results. The Acid is
31.45% 20 Baume. She suggested I only add 32oz then retest and add more if needed.

I have 3-inch silk guard complete chlorine tablets. I added 3 in the floater.

Your CYA is already 30. What CYA level will you stop using tablets and stop adding CYA to your pool?

I know I won't get instant results.

And since you are not getting instant results your Fc stays low giving algae an opportunity to take hold in your water.

The Acid is
31.45% 20 Baume. She suggested I only add 32oz then retest and add more if needed.
That will lower your pH by about 0.5. That is still a lot.

What pH level is your target?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was told my PH will run high for the first year with a New build. I don’t know what the sweet spot is for PH I know you don’t want to be above 7.8. I also know it’s not a big deal if you’re at 7.8.

I was told my PH will run high for the first year with a New build. I don’t know what the sweet spot is for PH I know you don’t want to be above 7.8. I also know it’s not a big deal if you’re at 7.8.
It is not a problem if you wait until your ph is at 8.2 and then lower it to 7.8. Any pH in the 7s is ok. Nothing bad happens with pH in the low 8s short term. Just when you find pH in the 8s then lower it.

Your TA of 140 is contributing to your rapid pH rise as well as your new plaster.

I was doing some research on what speed I should run my pool pump. One guy I came across said you should run your speed for the first two hours on medium-high and then on low for the rest of the daily schedule. He said he prefers high the first two hours to take care of any debris that blew into the pool overnight or early morning. The company that applied the pebble tech had me set it up the opposite. I prefer this way better than the two hours on medium-high at the end of the schedule,

Everything is going well. I tested the water yesterday and I took samples to leslies and my local independent in town to compare. For someone new to this It will open your eyes and you will be able to see the manipulation that goes on with these companies. The 💡 will go off😀 I have had water for a month now and I have added very little product to my pool. A little acid and some chlorine tablets. They have a laundry list of products they offer that you don't need. The only issue I have had is FC and PH. Tfkit is reading 0 FC Leslies and the independent both were reading FC 1.44. My water is clear. My CH was reading 325 with Tfkit the independent 205 and Leslies 263.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Now that you have proven to yourself how they try to manipulate you and how off their test results are, save yourself some time and don't go there any more. There is really zero need to compare your test results to theirs.

Where in Cali are you? Lots of different climates there - having a more defined location will help us provide more specific info for you and your pool.

Post a full set of current test results from your test kit. Add the test kit info to your signature, along with manufacturers and model numbers of your equipment..
I see you have PoolMath linked to your profile here. Just enter all the results in PoolMath and save them there. Be sure you have Track Combined Chlorine, Salt, Water Temp and CSI set to ON.

Follow the FC/CYA Levels to dose FC based on your CYA level.

Last edited:
Starting today I can add salt. We're going to wait until Monday because the weather this weekend is going to be in the upper 90s and we're going to swim in the pool for the 1st time. Im in Central California.

You can add the salt today and go swimming. That will help mix the salt in.
Some call it "diamond day", and kids love swimming with and mixing in the salt. Also saves you the manual labor of brushing it in.

Measure the current salt content, add about 3/4 of what is needed to get to the lower part of the required SWG salt range, brush/mix until disolved, run pump for 24 hours straight, test salt content and add any additional needed.

You can add the salt today and go swimming. That will help mix the salt in.
Some call it "diamond day", and kids love swimming with and mixing in the salt. Also saves you the manual labor of brushing it in.

Measure the current salt content, add about 3/4 of what is needed to get to the lower part of the required SWG salt range, brush/mix until disolved, run pump for 24 hours straight, test salt content and add any additional needed.
That's good to know we will do that. Im going to start off with 10 bags of salt. The current salt reading is in the 300 range,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.