New Plaster pool - pH level

old_monk

Mar 28, 2024
Raleigh
Hello,
Build finally finished recently and fill was on Tuesday, today is day 2. It's NPT stonescapes aqua cool mini plaster. SPA spillover is running.
My first test (TF-100 Salt Test Kit) had FC 0 (no color change), ph > 8.2 (darker pink shade), TA 40 and CH 50. CYA didn't even made any difference with tube filled to the top.
I then added Baking soda (qty from poolmath) as part of Day 1 step to raise TA to 80. It worked fine (test confirmed it at 80). Then added the MA per the pool math 21oz.
Day 2- tested again, TA is 80, pH was still >8.2. Added 21oz per poolmath. Waited an hour, tested again and pH is still >8. Added another 21 oz of MA. Waited an hour ,retested and its still dark pink.

I was suspecting new pool start up will need lot more MA. Right now my thinking is to keep adding MA per the pool math and retest every hour until it gets to 7.4/7.6 range. Is that a sound approach or do I need to do something more?

PB is of no help. Appreciate community's help. thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,
Build finally finished recently and fill was on Tuesday, today is day 2. It's NPT stonescapes aqua cool mini plaster. SPA spillover is running.
My first test (TF-100 Salt Test Kit) had FC 0 (no color change), ph > 8.2 (darker pink shade), TA 40 and CH 50. CYA didn't even made any difference with tube filled to the top.
I then added Baking soda (qty from poolmath) as part of Day 1 step to raise TA to 80. It worked fine (test confirmed it at 80). Then added the MA per the pool math 21oz.
Day 2- tested again, TA is 80, pH was still >8.2. Added 21oz per poolmath. Waited an hour, tested again and pH is still >8. Added another 21 oz of MA. Waited an hour ,retested and its still dark pink.

I was suspecting new pool start up will need lot more MA. Right now my thinking is to keep adding MA per the pool math and retest every hour until it gets to 7.4/7.6 range. Is that a sound approach or do I need to do something more?

PB is of no help. Appreciate community's help. thank you!
Yes, your plan is fine, but I’d be concerned about the lack of calcium in your water during start up. Isn’t there a requirement that should be over 200 something?

Yes, your plan is fine, but I’d be concerned about the lack of calcium in your water during start up. Isn’t there a requirement that should be over 200 something?
I'm following the NPT procedure, today day 2 is when I need to add calcium but it asks for pH to be balanced before that. Is that absolutely necessary or can I start mixing calcium now?
Also the NPT procedure says raise the calcium to 150 and slowly raise it to 200 after day 4. Is that accurate?

I'm following the NPT procedure, today day 2 is when I need to add calcium but it asks for pH to be balanced before that. Is that absolutely necessary or can I start mixing calcium now?
Also the NPT procedure says raise the calcium to 150 and slowly raise it to 200 after day 4. Is that accurate?
The pH is never going to be “balanced”. It is always going to be rising, especially with brand new plaster and TA that is that high. Keep adding the acid to try and get the pH in the sevens and get the calcium in there as well. Make sure not to leave the calcium sitting on the floor of the pool even for a moment it can stick there really quickly.

Try adding the acid and check pH within 30 minutes and see how it does that way.