New build noob

velmadinkley

Mar 26, 2023
Pennsylvania
Screenshot_20230403-160357~3.png

Hi all,

Husband and I are newbies when it comes to pools, but we're thinking about having one built. Hubs doesn't want to be maintaining it and would just pay to have someone do it, but I have control/trust issues and I also don't want to dish out that expense if we don't have to. So, maintenance will fall primarily to me. However, we have 2 kids under the age of 4 and are planning for a 3rd next year so anything I can do to make that easier would be great.

Because of that, I was considering a SWG. I prefer the feel of SWG pools, but I'm not sure if that's an absolute or if the traditional chlorine pools I've been in were not managed well.

When I asked about SWGs, PB said he doesn't like them for a variety of reasons: they keep the pH high so you're either adding MA or you're adding chlorine, they're a pain to clean and they're expensive and always break down, they create a lot of business for him but he's busy enough that he doesn't need extra. He said once we got used to the pool we'd learn that we need to add 6 tablets every 2 weeks (just as an example) and pressure wash the filters around the 4th of July-- easy peasy. He also said something about "his system" and minerals like copper? Can't remember exactly.

I know the tablets aren't recommended because of CYA buildup. Would this be an issue with our relatively short pool season in PA? Also maybe important to note that we are considering eventually covering the pool.

I have decision paralysis/fatigue at this point and need someone to tell me what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Velma, welcome to Trouble Free Pools :) I'm happy you're OCD, you'll have nicer pool water and protect your investment better doing the pool care yourself rather than some tech who will spend 5 minutes on site and not really care about your pool.

You DEFINITELY want a salt system ! Ignore your pool builder, he's just contrary and set in his ways. I don't add acid to my pool but maybe twice during our long swimming season here in Georgia. My first cell was NEVER cleaned as the device had a "reverse polarity" method of self cleaning, and it lasted 9 years before I needed to replace the cell. We always want folks to size their SWG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) at least 2x the pool's volume.

DO NOT let them add PoolRx to your pool- that is nothing more than copper which is not desirable.
Get the large cartridge filter..320sf is a nice number...anythiing higher is gravy.
Two skimmers would be preferred as a fail safe if anything caused problems to one skimmer.
A pool that big benefits from 3 lights across the side away from the house.

You might want to price your autocover independently of the pool builder. That price sounds a bit excessive to me?

Take a look at some other vinyl pools for liner ideas-
www.troublefreepool.com/threads/vinyl-liner-picture-pattern-roundup-pictures-and-name-of-liner-only-please.116729/

Maddie :flower:

Hi Velma. We built our pool two years ago and I was on here a lot trying to figure out every detail. I really fought the salt idea hard having previously had a chlorine pool for 10yrs. But ultimately I listened to the TFP crowd and went salt. I am SO GLAD that I did. With my chlorine pool if I forgot to put those chlorine tabs in the pool for a week I already had algae and it was always frustrating and costly to remove. With my current salt pool, I do my best to maintain it regularly but if I don’t get to it for a few weeks, or (gasp!), a month, it still looks great because the chlorine level is constantly being maintained by the SWCG. I love it and would never go back. My wife and I both work full time and we have a 5YO and a 2yo so we stay busy. I’d say with a third kid on the way you will be too. That makes the salt decision even more clear. I’d also suggest that you get a drop in pool robot. The stand alone type that doesn’t plug into the side of the pool. You drop it in, turn it on and let it do its thing. Another big time saver.
A brief glance at your quote brought two things to my attention. 1) Decking is not included in that price. Decking can get expensive quick, especially for that size of pool. 2) As previously mentioned, maybe get some more quotes on the auto cover. I have never priced them out but that seems high. One last thing, have them do two skimmers. I have a rectangular 20x30 pool with the skimmer at the shallow end. Until the pool is running for an hour or two the deep end always seems dirty to me.
Best of luck! It’s a lot of decisions and hard to decide but the kids will love and so will you.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.