New Build League City, TX 3-23-16

Well I called my pool builder this morning. To get (2) bubblers with the LED color lights that match the pool LED lights, it was $850 for each one. (We have 2 bubblers on the tanning ledge) We said thanks, but no thanks there....

We did get pricing to add (2) more LED lights for the pool. Builder was afraid with the curves we have in the pool we could have a few dark spots. He originally quoted @ $1,500 for both. But today the PB was told it would be more like $2,000 due to the (2) long electrical runs as they went and measured them today. Did say they would do it for the $1,500 since they originally quoted me that. I still think it's ridiculous.... But what am I to do?

I did decide to remove the solar eclipse (Ozone and U.V) per everyone's recommendation on how it doesn't do much if at all to a recreational outdoor pool. I was told I can always add it in later if I choose. Things I can't easily add later, I'd rather bite the bullet and install now. I can add ozone/U.V later so I'd rather save that $1,500 and apply it to the lights. I'm trying to be strict on the budget.

Thx for the advice!

I did take the deal to do the (2) additional LED pool lights for the $1,500. Honestly, I'm not sure which brand they are. I know they are tied to the Jandy Aqua Link system and have like 9 color options. PB said it would have been like $2k after exact measurements, but they did quote me $1,500 before measuring. I took the deal and told them I do not want the "Solar eclipse" which is the Ozone + UV.

Hayward's color LEDs cost $800 each with a standard length cord. If he'll install two for $1500 you should jump on that deal.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Here is the the most recent update.

10 Days ago the crew was at our house and did the excavation in about 4 hours. We were able to use all of the dirt to raise the elevation of our backyard to assist with the drainage which was very helpful. Rebar crew was there the very next day and took them about 1.5 days to complete. The next 2 days we were suppose to have some big rains but they never came. The last day the builder decided to put some cover over once the rebar was in. We waited for the weather to clear.

Last Thursday (7 days ago) the crew came in and shot the gunite. They prepped the area and it took the entire day to complete the gunite. I was told to water it 2x a day for about 20 min each time for the next 7 days to cure it. Not wanting to take any chances I did exactly that.

Three days ago the plumbers came and spent 2 full days running all the lines. Plumber who has been doing it for 25 years said "This pool has lots of pipes!" I thought uh-oo... He said, na this pool has everything. Very nice guys who work extremely hard. They enjoyed the 6 pack of cervezas. :)

As of yesterday the plumbing is complete. Waterfall, weaping rocks, bubblers, spa jets, sheer descent, and all the pumps/filters/skimmers. Construction manager told me the tile and coping will be installed either this Friday or Saturday and electrical will be soon.

We did end up telling the builder we are o.k with adding the (2) more additional LED lights making it at total of (5). ALOT I know.... But builder was worried with all the curves, deep pool, and darker plaster, having dark spots. We added one on the tanning ledge and the other on the swim out near the deep end. I'm a bit worried about the one on tanning ledge as the water I think is only 7 or 9" deep there.Light may only be 4" under water. PB said it will be fine. I don't know exactly what light it is, but I am a bit worried. With the added costs of the LED lights, we did tell the PB we want to remove the ozone/U.V.

As of now we are looking forward to tile and coping. We did up doing our pool decking off contract and with a different sub contractor. PB was way too expensive. We are going with travertine pavers for the pool decking. Next week we are going to layout the decking and get an accurate sq ft count.

Any information you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Only thing I wish we had done differently is had the tanning ledge a full 8'. It's 11x7' The 7' is actually only about 6.5" and I'm afraid the lounging chair will only barely fit. But live/learn. Hey, if that's the worse thing I want to change I guess that's not too bad.

I'll add the rest of the pictures I have.

That is HUGE! I love the design! I wonder if they could do the plaster extra, extra thick to give you some more ledge? OR could they come out and add some more gunite? (I really do not now if this would be possible or a good idea)

Kim

Nice build so far! Can't wait to see the everything finished up....can't believe color led bubblers are 850 each!

I was SHOCKED when I heard the price of the LED lights. I honestly don't know the exact make and model and I'm sure that differs. But we are going with Jandy equipment and LED niche lights. They have the 9 colors on them. I'm pretty sure I saw on the PB's personal cost sheet $235 each. I was told by the builder the lights are $450 for each light. (100% markup for the PB.) But then install. That's $300 a light for install. But then they said the length from my pool to the junction box is further than anticipated and it would be more. But the quoted me $1,500 from the get go so they didn't charge me the $1,900 it should cost. (So they say.....) I did initially think they could tie into the other lights, but I was told they must run each light to the junction box separately. So my total install price was $750.00 per light. GULP....... That's when the Solunar Eclipse (Ozone + U.V) was cut.

- - - Updated - - -

If I could do it over again I would have had the tanning ledge 8' vs 7'. But now the tanning ledge isn't exactly 7' it's more like 6.5'. I did e-mail my construction supervisor just now and asked them is there any way we could make it the 7' or slightly bigger. I doubt they can but doesn't hurt to ask. I saw those nice chaise lounge chairs.... I can't afford them now but I would love to be able to comfortably put those on the tanning ledge.

That is HUGE! I love the design! I wonder if they could do the plaster extra, extra thick to give you some more ledge? OR could they come out and add some more gunite? (I really do not now if this would be possible or a good idea)

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool is huge and is going to be so great! I was thinking of bubbler lights too, but yep too expensive. Did you do waterfall lights? We would like to get at least 1 or 2, but cost will dictate if we can get them. That is a huge markup for lights! But glad you were able to get the extra two. I hope you can extend your sunshelf. I think ours is going to be 7' x 11', so I may ask for a little more width.

Kim
I told the Supervisor that the tanning ledge was not the 7' it was suppose to be. More like 6'.6". He had the gunite guys back out and add more to the tanning ledge and stairs below it to make it all even and correct. We havr had massive rains all this week and it was a mudpit so I couldn't get the new measurements but I am sure it is right now.... I was glad to see PB take care of it without complaint.

Tile is about 1/2 way finished. Tile done on inside of pool and finishing up coping on Monday once the rain passes.

Wife and I did make 1 change last week. Instead of having the pool tile on the spillover on the spa, we are going with a a lighter natural looking stone to match the tiramisu stone on the spa and raised wall. I will post pictures this afternoon.

Hope everyone is having a good week! It's FRIDAYYYYYYY!

Your pool is huge and is going to be so great! I was thinking of bubbler lights too, but yep too expensive. Did you do waterfall lights? We would like to get at least 1 or 2, but cost will dictate if we can get them. That is a huge markup for lights! But glad you were able to get the extra two. I hope you can extend your sunshelf. I think ours is going to be 7' x 11', so I may ask for a little more width.
Yeah its a big pool.... I think once the PB knew it was a 1 acre lot he had wiggle room without dealing with easements etc. Yeah the LED Bubblers were cool but couldn't justify the cost (After already hitting the high end of budget). I did inquire about waterfall lights but once again was told very expensive. If didnt even get an exact price b.c I knew just about anything was more than I want to pay. I may ask my home builder if he has an electrician who can do it for me. Im sure he can do it for a fraction of costs on the side. PB didnt seem to have wiggle room and say "we will work with you" Im afraid pool contractors are so full of work the can afford to set their prices and not budge.

uploadfromtaptalk1461410970327.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461411084024.jpg

Here is the one change we decided to make. Wife wants the blue tiles removed that are in the spillover coming from the spa. Wants the (1) larger piece of flat stone similar to the color of spa (Tiramisu )

Any reason we shouldn't make this change? Im looking for the picture we sent the PB.

This is what we are thinking for the spa spillover.

cf0a9724ca803a0de8f48a30d128abee.jpg

Good Evening,

I'm set to meet with two different pool fence builders this week. One specializes in traditional fences like wrot iron fences. The other is one of the removable mesh fences.

Here is my thought. We have a 2 yr old, and another on the way. I expect we will want/need a fence for atleast 8-10 more years. We want both safety and looks. I thinking of possibly having the removable mesh fencing go in a straight line, left to right about 5' off the patio. Then I would have it tie into a black wrot iron fence to go around the left side, rear of pool, right ride side, and tie back into the removable fence. I'm thinking starting the wrot iron fence at the edge of the travertine decking.

We are going to put the fence gate to the left of the spa as there is another set of stairs coming off patio (Not really seen in drawing). The could give more space in between the patio stairs and spa.

Or, we may consider putting the removable mesh fence around the entire edge of the decking. But I'm not sure how we work around the waterfall feature. We do not want to put it between the waterfall and pool. Maybe we can put it behind the waterfall? I'm going to have to find out from the builder and what our options are. We also plan to have landscaping around most of the decking, so we prefer not to hide the landscaping with the removable fence in between landscaping and decking.

Do y'all have any suggestions? Im having trouble attaching the drawing of our pool and my rough sketch of the fence location we're thinking.Pool Fencing.jpg We do have a large size yard so that is not an issue.

So either
1. all wrot iron fence,
2. both wrot iron and removable mesh,
3. or all removable mesh fence.

Any ideas, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Here is one company we are considering for removable mesh fence. Pool Fence Prices Houston - Poolfence in Houston

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.