New Build League City, TX 3-23-16

Here is my thoughts:

Pretty, black iron fence all the way around the pool that ties into the house with gates on both side of the patio.

AND the child safety fence left to right off of the patio just in front of the pool with the gates inside the patio part so the kids can go out and play in the yard without getting into the "pool yard".

I like that you are planning long term. It will help your peace of mind for sure!

Now lets talk about the doors and windows. Do you have plans for them?

Kim:cat:

This is what my wife and I have come up with thus far. It's been a compromise.... LOL. We are going to use both the removable fence with a gate, along with black wrot iron fence going @ the back half of the pool, with a gate. Down the line when the kids get older we can eliminate the removable fence and keep the wrot iron since it won't be in the way. We're a bit unsure how wide we want the landscaping and whether or not we want it all around the pool decking. That being said, I do think it's better to extend the removable fence along the side of the pool vs. starting the wrot iron fence right off the left and right side near the patio.

I have attached our drawing. Scan0001.jpg

Good Morning to all.... what a crazy few weeks its been from being 90% done with construction of new house, wife been on bedrest now for 3 wks and 22 wks pregnant, oh and then building a pool, and a thing called work. :)

With all the rain here in Texas its been hard to finish many projects. Stone guys completed all the work on the pool. Coping, tile, and waterfall. Oh, they do have to come back once the flagstone comes in for the spillway on the waterfall... thats on tomorrow.

We plan to start the pool decking this week! Here is a photo.

Its coming along..... We decided were going to go with the removable fence around the entire pull. Not 1/2 removable and 1/2 wrought iron. Actually cheaper and more functional for us.

uploadfromtaptalk1462194592596.jpg

Question,

We originally had drawn in the plans to have the travertine pavers come off the far end of the covered patio at about roughly 45 degree angle towards the splash pad. We are planning to have a big table under the cathedral patio and then couch inder the other covered patio .

I attached 2 photos. The 1st is looking at patio from side of pool currently the black like is where decking supposed to go. To far end of patio.

Would you run the patio from the far right end (when look at the patio from the pool) as seen in picture you can see the black paint where the patio is supposed to go.

Or would you move the patio in to the columns where the cathedral patio ends? About 20' to left?

Im leaning towards keeping it the bigger decking area b.c there is a huge oak tree. If I reduce the decking I will add landscape and it will be covered in leaves. Cost isnt a huge issue as the pavers have already been ordered and delivered. Yes I would be saving on concrete and labor which is alot but cost is not a main factor at this point.

Also we plan to add a removable fence and planned on putting the gate to the left of the spa when looking at the pool from the patio. So we would want larger pool decking to accommodate that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

uploadfromtaptalk1462673870569.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462674057392.jpg

Mr. Texan...looking forward to some updated pics. Doesn't look like any of us had any suggestions to your last question. I want to see how your travertine decking came out. ..tia.
Thx for checking in. We have been idle the last 2 weeks due to rain. My wife is on bedrest in hospital, finishing new construction home, so pool has been secondary to say the least. Lol.

They guys installed rebar last week and received permits from city. They poured the concrete today. Travertine pavers will be installed this week. Can't wait to see pavers installed. Since there are lots of trees, homebuilder who also used to build pools didnt recommend drains. Je said they will constantly clog. He said we will go with a 3" slope and it wont ever be an issue. That's what we decided to do.

Here are 2 photos. I ended up keeping the decking how I originally wanted it. (Bringing it to the far left of the 40' patio) There will be lots of oak tree leaves falling here. This way I dont have to worry about grass not growing or leaves in flowerbed. Also kids can jump down from the full length of patio to pool decking.

Kinda hard to see from pictures, but there is (1) step coming off patio decking down to pool decking.

Once pavers go in on pool decking the will install the jumping rock(s).

They are also going to replace the spillway on the spa. Going to install flagstone there.

I think the (3) planters turned out great! We have sprinkler system ran to each, and conduit with speaker wire ran to each planter. Going to install Bose outdoor speakers there.

Once pavers go in this week I will post. Next week is plaster. They wanted all of decking complete.

uploadfromtaptalk1464055966252.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464055980223.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464055998591.jpg

I am sorry I missed your question about the deck.........you did what I would have said to do. Less work and more seating area=win-win!

I hope all is well with your wife. You DO have your hands full right now!

I love your decking and the pool looks beautiful!! +1 on what Kim said!

I'm sorry your wife is on bedrest. The hospital is not somewhere you want to be, that's for sure! You certainly are juggling a lot right now. Blessings to you and prayers for peace in what must be a wealth of stress.

Thanks for the positive words! Pavers go in on Wednesday! Can't wait. The pool already looks totally different after seeing the concrete poured.

I told my wife just 1 day at a time.... she has been there for 2 weeks, will be there until delivery. Hopefully 3+ more weeks atleast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Morning everyone,

Sorry for the late replies and not posting as many pictures at the later stages. It's been crazy around our household the last month. Finished our new construction home, completed the pool, and our 2nd son was born June 2nd (3) month premature. Been a bit hectic. It's been a wild ride, but I wouldn't do it any different....

Our son was born at 26 1/2 weeks weighing 2 lbs 8 oz. and 13.75" long. He has had some set backs, but has took some big steps the last 7 days which is great!

Construction of our pool is done. Took longer for the pool decking with all the rain we have had here in Texas.

Our pool was plastered with the Wet Edge - Satin Matrix -Midnight Sea. We have a Craftsman style home, with lots of big oaks, and pecans. We wanted a very natural look with the rocks, and wanted a "Lagoon style" color to it. It couldn't have come out any better than what we were imagining! We LOVE IT!

Plaster went in on Monday, Tuesday they did the acid wash and began filling it up. I need to double check the gallons, but I wanna say close to 40,000. Took almost 1.5 -2 days to fill it up. Yesterday they started the pumps and will run 24 hours continuously. They have me brushing the pool 2x a day. Next week is their intro "Pool school" to learn all about the equipment and how to run it all.

I plan on ordering my TFP pool kit soon. (I need to find my discount code after I contributed to the site) :)

Here are a few pictures. I still don't have internet at the home, (Not for a few more weeks) so I can only convert the large megapixel from my phone camera when I get to work. Makes it hard to do in the evening when I have free time.

This site has provided me so much valuable information. I know this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have already printed off the TFP pool school basis 101 material and plan to read it this weekend. I will post more pictures once I get the lights turned on the pool etc.

Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 112
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 114
Congratulations on your son.... sending positive ohms your way for his growth and wellness in NICU. Remember its often two steps forward, one step back....

Your pool looks great, but I'm most impressed with that beautiful fence! Is it treated? Will you keep it that color or let it age gray?

The baby is here! And he is doing good now! HAPPY day! When will he get to come home? How is mom doing? Has the big brother been up to meet him yet?? Oh the baby is here!

Your pool looks awesome! LOVE everything about it! It fits in with your area for sure!

Here is a link for you BUT know your PB has last say what you do to your pool as he holds the warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Here is what I give new pool owners. It is a LOT of info but take it a bit at a time and you will not get too overwhelmed:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

When you can show us a pic of the baby!

Here goes a couple photos of him. My wife is doing great emotionally and physically. We are only 3 miles from the hospital so it makes it nice and convenient and we go 2-3x a day up and visit him.

Regarding the fence, it is a cedar fence. It was put up about a month ago and it will age but more slowly than pine. We are going to stain the cedar fence within the next few weeks when the rain finally slows down. That will really help maintain its color and longevity of the fence.

Kim, thanks for sharing those links. I have printed off each of those, and added to favorites. I look forward to getting familiar with all of this information.

Looking forward to getting home and workin on the pool and washed down with a cold beer!

Have a great weekend.

Attachments

• Drake 6-min.jpg
    Drake 6-min.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Drake finger 2-min.jpg
    Drake finger 2-min.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 100
Awwwwwwwwww what a cutie! Are they letting you do skin to skin holding yet? THAT is such an awesome bonding time! Nice you are so close and can visit him.

Do what you can do, when you can do it. Right now make sure you have CYA and FC in the pool to keep the algae out. Balance the rest as soon as you can.

Mr..Texan - good to hear again from you. Looks like God mixed up your prayer requests - the baby was supposed to be on time and the pool build finished early - not the other way around. Woah...:)

All great blessings though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.