New Build - Las Vegas NV - Owner/Builder

The Laticrete products are highly recommended.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0429/0022/6199/files/OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf?v=1625588595
1626430671428-png.355575
full
full
I've read a few articles that waterproofing behind tiles can severely impact bonding of tile to substrate. This concerned me so I did further research and found some stories of individuals whose tiles started falling of year 1. As a result I opted to avoid waterproofing and went with Laticrete 254 platinum on top of the 3-1. After seeing your diagram I hope I don't get destroyed by efflorescence 🤞

I've read a few articles that waterproofing behind tiles can severely impact bonding of tile to substrate. This concerned me so I did further research and found some stories of individuals whose tiles started falling of year 1. As a result I opted to avoid waterproofing and went with Laticrete 254 platinum on top of the 3-1. After seeing your diagram I hope I don't get destroyed by efflorescence 🤞

I don't think waterproofing is the root cause of why tiles fall off.

It is easy to point blame on another product when it is usually due to improper thinset application or water getting into cracked grout and eroding the thinset. Poor grout workmnship can also contribute.

Best thing you can do is maintain your grout lines. Any hairline cracks are opening for water to get in and erode the tile adhesive.

Reactions: kimkats
Very cool! I've always wanted to visit ConEx. I hope you enjoyed it!

Wish you would have let me know, I would have hooked you up with a helicopter flight over the strip! Maybe next time...
It’s a huge show, my phone advised me that I walked 12 miles of exhibits the first day and I only covered half of the show.
I will be back in 3 years for the next one, if your offer is still good I’ll take you up on it, thanks!

hank you for the info. I see the 5th and 6th layer on that diagram show glass tile install. I can see using two layers of waterproofing for small format glass tiles. I will be using 6x24 tiles for the waterline, so pretty minimal grout lines.

Would you still follow the above diagram to a T with such large tiles?

Thanks again
I spoke with a few tile guys and pool builders for my pool regarding the tile install and everyone said in LV they are only doing one layer of waterproofing. I couldn't find anyone who would do 2 layers (even for glass tile). Now I am wondering if I should be concerned if I go ahead with that approach.

I spoke with a few tile guys and pool builders for my pool regarding the tile install and everyone said in LV they are only doing one layer of waterproofing. I couldn't find anyone who would do 2 layers (even for glass tile). Now I am wondering if I should be concerned if I go ahead with that approach.
I ended up doing 1 layer (2 coats) of Laticrete Hyrdro Ban. I feel good about it. Our last pool had quite a bit of efflorescence in the grout and never looked clean. Hopefully we can avoid that this time.

Honestly, after seeing the nice coat of Hydro Ban on the tile line, I didn't feel it was necessary for a 2nd layer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a plumbing question(s) for @AQUA~HOLICS or @ajw22 , or welcome any other input!

Are the rock traps for a sheer typically used if providing water to the sheer via your main filter? Or are they only used for unfiltered pumps?

Also, is there a good way to clean out the lines to a sheer on a new build? I tried really hard to keep all the pipes clean but I'm paranoid something will get in the sheer and disrupt the flow.

Thank you!

20230326_141915.jpg

Big day tomorrow... All forms are up! Weather forecast looks great for a pour - 70 degrees, no wind, no rain. Should be a happy crew!

Umbrella holders in place, gas line, electrical, landscape lights all ran as well.

20230330_170254.jpg20230330_170321.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.