New build Jacksonville FL (updated)

offshorebound

Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
After over a year of waiting and researching we are finally ready to start our pool build. I am thankful for the knowledge I have gained from this forum. We are in the process of getting quotes from pool builders. Before they come out I want to make sure I got all the details down.

14X29 freeform IG gunite (with screen enclosure)
3.5 shallow, 5 deep (i know most say 4' shallow end but i like 3.5')
6x6 gunite spa (Yes, i have been in one before)
Tanning Ledge with 2 bubblers
Color LED lighting
Propane heater for the Spa/pool
Solar heater for the pool (to be installed later)
Automation

SWG rated for 2x pool volume
Cartridge filter rated 2x pool volume (is this necessary with a screen enclosure)
home runs for skimmer and main drains
Light at the equipment pad
Variable speed pump
Jandy style neverlube valves (as opposed to what?)

Questions
-is it necessary to have home runs for all the returns?
-is 2' inch plumbing sufficient for pool or should i go to 2.5 or 3"inch?
-is 3"inch plumbing for the spa recommended?
-should i have a return on the tanning ledge?
-Since the I have a screen enclosure is one skimmer sufficient or should I get two?
-I plan on doing solar for the pool. Should i put two returns in the deep end on the bottom for convection heating?
-Should i expect to have two pumps (one for pool/solar and the other for spa/bubblers)
-For the spa should i use a 400,000 BTU heater

Thanks for all the great advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

- Cartridge filter rated 2x pool volume (is this necessary with a screen enclosure) - or more. You will be happy you have a large filter when you deal with al algae problem. The larger the better.
-Jandy style neverlube valves (as opposed to what?) - versus ball valves
-is it necessary to have home runs for all the returns? - no, but nice to have 30 years down the road when you have a plumbing problem and need to isolate which line it is
-is 2' inch plumbing sufficient for pool or should i go to 2.5 or 3"inch? - 2 inch is fine
-is 3"inch plumbing for the spa recommended? - if you have a separate high volume spa pump for the spa jets
-should i have a return on the tanning ledge? - it will give some water circulation in that area
-Since the I have a screen enclosure is one skimmer sufficient or should I get two? - get two. IT ensures if one skimmer gets clogged your pump will not run dry. And if you do have a problem with skimmer pluming int he future you an run on the other one. You going top have a main drain at the bottom or side of the pool?
-I plan on doing solar for the pool. Should i put two returns in the deep end on the bottom for convection heating? - I don;t think that really makes a big difference in the way the water heats. Up to you.
-Should i expect to have two pumps (one for pool/solar and the other for spa/bubblers) - there should be two returns into the spa off the pool pump. Then you should have a separate closed loop with suction coming from the bottom of the spa into the spa pump and out the spa jets.
-For the spa should i use a 400,000 BTU heater - yes

Should i expect to have two pumps (one for pool/solar and the other for spa/bubblers) - there should be two returns into the spa off the pool pump. Then you should have a separate closed loop with suction coming from the bottom of the spa into the spa pump and out the spa jets
Got it! but do I need two separate Variable speed pumps? Is it necessary? One VSP would be for the Pool/Solar and the other VSP with control the Spa and bubblers on the tanning ledge

Got it! but do I need two separate Variable speed pumps? Is it necessary? One VSP would be for the Pool/Solar and the other VSP with control the Spa and bubblers on the tanning ledge

If the pump was only for the spa I would say a single speed pump would be fine as you probably want maximum flow all the time you are using the spa jets.

If that pump is also feeding the bubbler I don't know what flow rate would be best or if you may want to adjust it.

Will you have valves to independently run the spa jets or the bubbler?

Personally I think the bubbler is a waste of money and will see little use once the novelty wears off. Running the bubbler will lead to rising pH and you will be frequently adding acid to the pool to keep the pH under control.

O,

Most pool and spa set ups only have one pump.. A large VS pump seems to me to be the best option.. You can run it at high speed when using the Spa and at a very low speed when in the pool mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A large VS pump seems to me to be the best option
By large VSP do you mean In terms of horsepower (sorry complete newbie)

Most pool and spa set ups only have one pump
Since I will have solar and bubblers is this still true. I did not know if there was a "best" combination setup. Example having one VS pump run pool/spa and another VS pump for solar/bubbler. Or VS pump for pool/solar and one VS pump for Spa/bubbler. This is my first pool since I'm a complete newbie

O,

I would use a 3 HP pump... VS pumps come in two basic sizes.. 1.5 HP and 3 HP (Giver or take a little for different brands..)

If you are independently wealthy, you could have a pump for each function.. :mrgreen: But normally one pump is all you really need.

Basically, with automation and a VS pump you can have one speed just for the pool, another for pool and bubbler, an other for solar, another for the spa.. etc..

I agree with Allen, bubblers are cool for about three weeks, but each to their own..

I do not have a gunite spa, but if I was planning to install one, I'd try and talk with my pool builder and see what he recommends and then go out to the pools/spas he has installed and see what the owners say about how well they work..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a general sketch of the pool design. Any suggestions? One concern I have is there is only 10 feet of decking between the tanning ledge and screen enclosure. Is this sufficient of should I shorter the pool by 2 feet to give me 12 feet of decking? Another concern is there is only 4 feet of deck between the column of my house and the shallow end of the pool (far right post on the sketch) Should I shorten the width of the pool in this area by 1 foot?
I added pictures of were the pool will be going as well

Thanks all

IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0152.JPG

Attachments

• pool.pdf
    221.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 00261.jpg
    00261.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 00271.jpg
    00271.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 00281.jpg
    00281.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
new pool.jpg

So here is my idea and the whys:
-note the shelf is on the other side of the pool. The reason is that you can walk right out of the house and into the pool. It will also be a great place to chill and chat with the people on the patio or watch TV under there. My hope is by having the bump out between the poles they will not cause a problem with walking.
-note the spa change as well-note where I put the bench. It is for chatting with the people in the spa as well as being able to see the TV if you place it just right.
-spa in new spot-note the decking space by the spa-that will allow people to sit or lay out by the spa
-shelf is also has decking to sit outside of the pool
Pushing the pool up just a bit you will be able to carefully on the back side of the pool. For cleaning and brushing you really need to be able to walk back there. It is not a lot of room and you will have to be real careful with the brush handle back there.

Now note that you have a "swim lane" with this new design.

What are your thoughts? It is very okay if you don't like it. It will not hurt my feelings. Just tell me what you like or do not like and we can go from there.

Kim:kim:

I do like your ideas but here is the reasons we choose to design it this way.
-Tanning ledge gets the most sun from that position. We will have an umbrella sleeve and my wife wanted it positioned that way specifically for that. (our back yard faces due east)
-We wanted the spa opposite side of the tanning ledge and had to be in the deep end (so the kids can jump off it)
we could move the spa closer to the house were the original bench is (next to far left post) There is a little room there for a tv which you cant tell from the pictures
-I like the swim lane but that is why made the pool length 35 feet long. Originally I only wanted 30 feet but to accommodate the style of tanning ledge we wanted this was the thought process
Pushing the pool up just a bit you will be able to carefully on the back side of the pool
Due to easements and setbacks I wanted to maximize the space we had to work with. We decided to put the screen directly on the coping. I have several friends that did it this way.

You have solid reasons for everything you did so we will call it DONE with your design! SWEET
We have been waiting several years to get to this point. We have had a lot of time to think about our design!

So you think the 10 feet of decking between tanning ledge and screen is enough?
Would you be worried with the bench in the deep end with kids jumping in? It looks like there is a lot of room to the left of the bench for jumping in.

Well there you are!!! That is a BIG start for sure!! Those picks are going to look awesome in the pool!!

Have you measured to make sure it is wide, long, deep, etc enough? Add about 6" for the shell and plaster.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.