New build Jacksonville FL (updated)

Our pool was filled 2 weeks ago. I noticed today white "patchy" spots on the bottom of the pool. Also, I noticed the scaling on the spa stone. The pool builder is doing the water chemistry now until they do pool school and turn it over to me. Is this a big issue? We meet with the pool builder tomorrow and am curious on how to handle this.

spa scale 2 (1).JPG spa scale 2 (2).JPGwhite spot 1 (1).JPGwhite spot 1 (2).JPGwhite spot 3 (1).JPGwhite spot 3 (2).JPG

You pH is going to be higher than 8 is my guess. What is your TA? That calcium is low. I know they are in charge but you have to live with the results. My guess is they are coming once a week to adjust the levers correct? That is NOT enough for new plaster and you are seeing why :(

It is VERY okay to add it. It is the NOT adding it that will do the damage because of the pH levels.

Make sure the pump is on high. Pour it in slowly right in front of a return. Make sure you have eye protection on and have something close to wash/rinse the surrounding area just in case you get some on the coping or deck. Some people carry the jug in a bucket to such to make sure there is not dripping where you do not want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is VERY okay to add it. It is the NOT adding it that will do the damage because of the pH levels.

Make sure the pump is on high. Pour it in slowly right in front of a return. Make sure you have eye protection on and have something close to wash/rinse the surrounding area just in case you get some on the coping or deck. Some people carry the jug in a bucket to such to make sure there is not dripping where you do not want it.
Thanks, Can I add to much acid? I understand new plaster has high PH so is it common to add acid everyday (according to pool math?) Thanks again newbie here!!

What you do is use Pool Math and shoot for a pH of 7.8.:
-test current water (betting it will show 8)
-use Pool Math to see how much m.a. to add to get the pH down to 7.8 and up that much in.
-Let the pump run and brush the pool to make sure the m.a. is mixed in good.
-wait 30 mins and retest the water (yes it works that fast if not fastere)
-IF the pH is not in the 7s the do it all over again

It might take some doing to get the pH down into the 7s as we really don't know how high in to the 8s it is.

Also realize you will be dropping the TA a bit each time you add acid so check it every other test to make sure it does not tank.

Reactions: offshorebound
Sorry I have replied until now. Had some things come up here where I was not able to get on the computer much.

I am glad to see you got the pH down into the 7s! Was it hard?

So you don't have any CYA so your FC is going to disappear to the sun. The CYA acts as sunscreen from the FC. You can should get some powder CYA into your water. Pretend you have 20 ppm CYA due to the tablets to be on the safe side. Add enough CYA to get it to 30. Put the powder in a sock (like you wear) and hang it in front of a return. You can squeeze it to help it dissolve faster.

Kim:kim:

I am glad to see you got the pH down into the 7s! Was it hard?
Not at all! Was super easy and I was surprised how quickly it came down!!

What about the low calcium level should I increase it during startup phase?

What about the low FC level? Should I add some bleach? There are tablets in the skimmer

Again, the pool is in startup phase so the SWG is off (chlorine only pool)

Todays test result
PH 7.8
TA 80
FC 1-2
CC 1-2

Both FC and CC had very light colors

Last edited:
What about the low FC level? Should I add some bleach? There are tablets in the skimmer
Remove the tablets (pucks) from skimmer. That is not good for equipment. Go buy a floater to put them in or hang in a sock on a floating toy. The pucks are adding some CYA but not noticeable as it takes a long time for that to register. I am sure the PB will add dry stabilizer later. You may want to add some liquid chlorine to up FC.

Have you tested your fill water? That is good to have as a base line.

What about the low calcium level should I increase it during startup phase?

Again, the pool is in startup phase so the SWG is off (chlorine only pool)

Todays test result
PH 7.8
TA 80
FC 1-2
CC 1-2

Both FC and CC had very light colors
What ever happened with your scale on the spa stacked stone ?
Did the PB mentioned if this was normal, temporary or a forever thing ?
Im curious as we are going through a build and also have fieldstone part of the spa wall

your pool looks great !!!

What plaster startup guide are you following for the first 28 days?

Follow startup guide recommendations for chemical levels for the first 28 days then transition to TFP guidelines.

What ever happened with your scale on the spa stacked stone ?
Thanks! We are pleased but it has been a loooong process.
Pool builder said it was normal and to scrub the stacked stone with vinegar. We have extremely hard water here in FL so that probably contributes to this. The issue I am most concerned about is the scaling on the bottom of the pool. PB said it was normal give it time they my have to acid wash it. The company that did the pebble finish is doing the start up as well.

Reactions: Riddler0520

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.