New Build in Vegas Starts Today!

VegasMike85

Jan 28, 2019
Las Vegas
Pretty small Spa/Pool build starting today. Hope it is okay that I started a new thread from my prior where I had a bunch of questions about what to decide on... thanks to everyone who commented on that thread, it was super helpful!

I have attached a render of our design and a pdf with dimensions if anyone is interested.

As construction starts, I want to know what type of mistakes/issues should I be on the look out for? When we met with our salesperson/designer and the construction manager the salesperson pretty pointedly stated that we should keep in mind that everyone is human and mistakes could happen, but they are almost always things that could be fixed, and if we see any mistakes/issues to just get in touch with them and they will find a resolution. With that warning in mind, are there things we should be looking for in different phases? I know our PB was saying it to remind us to keep calm if something comes up, but now he has me on edge that I have to be double checking all the work, and this is our first build (and first pool in general) so no idea what we should watch for...

Any advice? Thank you!!

demo_level_009.jpg

Attachments

• 2D Plan with Dimensions.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 22
I will be here every step of the way for you! All you have to do is tell me what is about to happen and I can tell you what to do. One example is you need to be there when they come to paint the pool lines on your property. Have you pool plans in one hand and a tape measure in the other. I will start you off with a set of links so you can start talking to your PB about your plaster.
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.

This should get the conversation going!

Kim:kim:

Oh yeah, Kim will definitely be there!!! Make sure you have the type of wallet that’s attached to your belt with a chain!! She has no problem “helping” others spend their money. :laughblue:

In all seriousness, good luck with your build, and don’t be afraid to ask ANY questions no matter how foolish they may seem. :cheers:

PS Here’s another good thread to read regarding plaster. All plaster finishes should last 20 years

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Thanks for the links - will read through them. I have high hopes for my plasterer being reliable - they were the sub that really stood out as reputable - obviously every job is different and they may have different people working commercial vs residential, but they did the plaster for a whole bunch of the pools on the Vegas strip, so fingers crossed on them... I will definitely read through the docs though and see what I can raise with the construction manager.

It seems I am already messing things up on my end - they were going to start excavation Monday but called this AM and said they finished a job and wanted to start this afternoon - I said sure as we definitely are ready to start. Lines are already painted.... Planning on measuring what I can when I get home, but they already started moving a bit of dirt at one end. I guess I should have visited earlier in the week before the pre-construction meeting :)

You are learning fast. You go ahead and measure now. Take in account the FINISHED size will be smaller than the dug size. What you will look for is the basic size and shape.

Have you and the PB talked about the depth? As in is your depth WATER depth or from floor to bottom of coping? (most are water depth but it does not hurt to ask to make sure).

Kim:kim: (Rob I added that link to me set of plaster links! THANKS!)

Excavation finished this morning! Equipment is expected to be delivered tomorrow. Goal is to have plumbing, rebar, and electrical done next week. Anything to look out for with these trades?

Also, PB mentioned when we do concrete (I am fairly certain he is referring to gunite phase) that we will need to water it 3x/day for a week while it cures. Don't know what temps will be since we aren't scheduled yet, but should be 70s to 90s when we get to that phase. Do you think watering before work, after work, and before bed (so probably 8am, 6pm, and 10pm) is okay, or should we be trying to get home midday to have a watering during the heat?

IMG_2359.png

Mainly an update, but do have a new Q too.

They did some of the plumbing one afternoon last week, then were missing a part so hard to wait for it to arrive. They "finished" plumbing Monday, but last night after work I noticed some indication of water along the piping path and a slow drip near the filter. Messaged my PBthis AM about a possible small leak and he indicated they had a work order in for it already and would be back out to fix it.... So I guess waiting on that before we get to electrical.

My question - I am going with a SWCG and right now I just see a Intellichlor spacer instead of the SWCG. Before I hound my PB about missing equipment, when I googled the spacer it looks like it is used during winter or during start-up, sooo I assume this is normal and after the first 30 days my PB will swap it for the actual SWCG. Does this sound reasonable to all you or should I be following up with my PB to ask where my IC is?

Thanks!

The spacer is fine. It allows them to properly plumb things up and with a plaster pool it is a good idea to have it in there instead of the SWCG cell due to the plaster dust and possible low pH at startup.

Reactions: VegasMike85
We have been slowed down the past couple weeks - had a big rain last week that required them to re-dig some of the areas, but just got our gunite date for next week. When we had our pre-construction meeting PB said to water 3x/day for 7 days. Every time we've talked about it since then construction manager has said 2x day for 5 days. So I guess my question is, how important is this? I definitely plan to do it at least twice per day, but and I know kimkats has said some people use sprinklers or soaker hoses, but right now we have a single hose and nothing else - not sure if I should be buying supplies this weekend to be prepared. Looks like temps next week will be mid-90s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a small price to pay to make the shell the best it can be. Your neighbors may let you borrow their hoses and sprinklers but they will want first dibs on a swim party so............might not be worth it in the end LOL

SWEET! Have you been bonding with your new pool? aka watering it? You need to at least twice a day. This helps to slow down the curing.

I have a set of links about how to get a good plaster job. Look over and talk it over with your PB.

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Haven't updated in a while, but we made it! Just over a week filled with water and we have been loving it!

Our PB hasn't done their "Pool School" with us yet because they had some trouble with our Intellicenter and needed to wait for a warranty repair, but we have been brushing daily and trying to muddle our way through the TF test kit to get an idea of our numbers.

The PB has added chlorine a few times, and he was here today while we were at work, so I think he dumped a ton, because our FC is crazy high tonight.

We will be SWCG after the 30 day start up period.

Here are our current #s: FC 7.5; CC 0.5; pH 7.2; TA 100; CH 725; CYA 22.

I am out here in the Vegas sun so I think our FC will come down naturally - most concerned about CH at this point. We have very hard water in Vegas so I don't really know what our options are. Tried googling and seems like maybe doing an RO treatment. But I do see that if pH remains constant then CH might be okay. We have been in the 7.2-7.5 range every time we have checked pH. Also not sure what constitutes 'Red' when doing CH test, so it could be anywhere between 650-725.

Anything we should be doing currently?

Thanks!

IMG_6243.jpg IMG_4649.jpg

Reactions: Arizonarob
Your CH should not be that high with a new fill. Your fill water is about 250 ppm CH.

Check your testing for the CH. Do you have a speedstir? Really helps for CH testing.

CH test does not turn Red. It turns Blue when finished. Check your test directions.

Sorry mixed up which color when typing. Just did the test again. At 15 drops it starts to turn a purple-ish tinge, but it was 22 drops before I would really call it blue. I think last time I wanted a darker blue, but even at 22 I come up with CH of 550. For comparison I did our cold water inside that isn’t on our water softener and I also get a CH of 550-575.

And yes I do have a speedstir and am using it. Partner took the reading on 7/4 and came up with 650 CH so I don’t think it’s just me.

We do have a 5B Hardness Test Kit that measures grain per gallon that we got before we had our water softener installed. Using that I get 18 grains per gallon- which the internet tells me converts to 307ppm, so maybe there is something wrong with our test kit?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.