New Build in PA - Need Help Making Final Choices

I have never heard anyone say they wished for a smaller pool! I would go for size over a finish that costs more.

Play with some bright rope on the yard. Use a beach towel to pretend it is a float and see what you think.

Kim:kim:

I put down flags a month ago, but I am not it really is a great indicator. Seeing a big hole with water in it feels so different. Anyway, 700 sq ft with flags never felt large and so the worrying.

we struggled with sizing too. this was our outcome. pool will be used 3 months tops up here in pa. solid 3 months. so we decided to keep the pool on the smaller size and dump money into the cabana since we both like to cook and be outside in front of a fireplace. this will give me a chance to truely make it a little bit more winter proof so we can use it into the fall and early spring for use. my back porch now is my storage for the outdoor firniture so we can't use the space which has a covered fireplace out there also. i want to add incieling heating in the cabana and also design walls out so we can add drop down canvas shades to close it in more for winter use.

i just didn't want to give up the space for maybe 8 more feet of pool vs cabana.

I am thinking of skipping the heater the first year. Also, this is a heat pump so I believe that means it needs less BTUs as compared to gas.

Now I am stuck on whether I should do pebble tec and go smaller with the pool. It's so hard to find anything that shows pool sizes with a person or something in the pic to compare scale.
That's a fine idea. I have several friends who asked about building a pool after seeing mine. I always say do now what you can't do later (lights, in-pool bench, etc.) and then you can always add. Heater, SWG, "nicer" fence, even decking (we did decking year 2, fence to be finished this year). I don't know about the BTUs, sorry.

That's a fine idea. I have several friends who asked about building a pool after seeing mine. I always say do now what you can't do later (lights, in-pool bench, etc.) and then you can always add. Heater, SWG, "nicer" fence, even decking (we did decking year 2, fence to be finished this year). I don't know about the BTUs, sorry.

definite +1.

Thanks! I am definitely getting a robot cleaner. Should I have the pressure side cleaner line plumbed just in case I need to switch from the robot? One PB says they won't charge to run it and the other will. They both would skip the booster pump of course.

No reason to get it in my book. One more pipe hat can leak. I've never seen anyone switch back here. I haven't gone back to my flip phone and don't plan to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, and is it a bad idea to mix equipment brands? I am thinking of getting the Jandy VS FloPro with a Pentair Filter and a Pool Pilot Digital. I don't think the Pentair Pump makes sense since I have to buy a controller for it and the Jandy comes with it/is easier to install/has a smaller footprint. Also, with just a slide I don't see a need for automation...though I never know what upgrades I may add to the pool over time. I have been considering spa jets on benches in the pool. We are not getting a spa, but having that experience and option in the pool is something my wife and I like...especially since I am an avid runner and do have occasional aches and pains that make the jets sound nice (even if not heated like a spa).

If you plan on adding automation at some time, then having all the same equipment as that automation brand can make it easier, although the AutoPilot does work with Jandy and Pentair automation.

Not sure what you mean about the controller for pentair pump, but again, fine to mix. I have pentair superflo vs which I like, which has built in programming and could be hooked up to AutoPilot with some extra parts to provide control via it and freeze protection. I have a pentair sand filter, but will be replacing at some point with cartridge system - and will get the one that seems best (won't have to be pentair).

Thanks, the three year extensions on Pentair are limited to certain pumps. I don't know much about the 2 VST units that apply for 3 year bundles. I was interested instead in the VS+SVRS for the suction/drain blockage detection....not sure if that is a gimmick though. It seems Pool Pilot's SWG is more highly regarded than the IntelliChlor...so I am leaning more towards Pool Pilot...especially if I can mix brands and still do automation down the line. In fact, with a slide a valve actuator might come in handy with automation.

Looks like for the price of the pool pilot panel, cell and manifold would be equal to getting the easy touch automation plus intellichlor I-60! Sigh...more tradeoffs :)

I have also just gone through the PB selection process in the Philly area. I had the best response from A&S and Premier Pools. A&S suggested the mineral system, but we asked for SW in the final proposal. Both companies suggested heat pump, but we are going with propane to have better control of the temperature and extend the season. The proposals also include quartz finish, but my husband and I are still considering pebble. I did not consider the color of the finish affecting the water temp, but makes sense. Thanks for that insight.

So I spoke with A&S today about Pebble Tec. They do not do Pebble Tec. Instead they do CL Industries pebble finishes ($3-4 up charge per square foot). I searched this forum for details on this manufacturer, but despite numerous people appearing to discuss possible color choices or generally using it I did not see the type of information on here that I found on Pebble Tec. This made me wonder about the warranty, which is stated as five years for CL. This is apparently the same as Pebble Tec despite what some seem to saying in this forum (they say it is lifetime - PT warranty source).

As I am winding down on my selections, I am hoping someone might be able to chime in on how the CL Industries Pebble products match up to Pebble Tec. Is it about the same and just a brand/marketing thing? Are all pebble aggregates more or less the same? Or are the certified installers of PT that much better in creating an overall better, longer lasting product?

Sidebar: I know I am taking this thread all over the place, but there are so many considerations here. I did not open multiple forum postings so as not to pollute the forums. Should I be creating new topics or is this the proper etiquette?

Looks like I should have searched for CLI. I found a couple more hits where people are stating that for pebble and glass aggregates it comes down to the installer (really no different than regular plaster). Outside of that, a good install will last much longer than plaster and have less maintenance/is more durable. Is this all there is to it? If so, I guess Pebble Tec vs CLI isn't a matter of one being a superior product, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.