New Build in NE FL

Came home today and 2 guys are working on the spa coping. Working on smoothing the edges that are suppose to be bullnosed but are not. Still lots of areas that need to be adjusted on deck and replaced as well as coping that in not cut uniform around the spa. MY dilemma is im due to pay this the last chunk of money that we owe them when water is in and the system is functioning. At that time a list of final finishing touches is made and supposed to be taking care of expeditiously. But with all of the issues ive seen with their subs showing up and doing bad jobs. I may force their hand on demanding final payment until they're done with everything but cleanup. I know that ultimately thats what the contract dictates and i dont have a leg to stand on but it doesnt mean i have to pay them in a timely manner.

Came home today and 2 guys are working on the spa coping. Working on smoothing the edges that are suppose to be bullnosed but are not. Still lots of areas that need to be adjusted on deck and replaced as well as coping that in not cut uniform around the spa. MY dilemma is im due to pay this the last chunk of money that we owe them when water is in and the system is functioning. At that time a list of final finishing touches is made and supposed to be taking care of expeditiously. But with all of the issues ive seen with their subs showing up and doing bad jobs. I may force their hand on demanding final payment until they're done with everything but cleanup. I know that ultimately thats what the contract dictates and i dont have a leg to stand on but it doesnt mean i have to pay them in a timely manner.

Ha - I can commiserate my coping (hopefully) is going on today and the bulk of the remaining funds are due today when they are done. Then just $2500 left. The power certainly shifts after they get most of their money!

Hi all. I had to step away because all of the issues and all with this pool was just getting to me. It got to the point that every day or every 2 or 3 days was nothing but negative news and issues and just looking out the window or talking about the pool put us in a very foul mood.

Hubby has been updating here and there I see. Construction manager finally fixed the bubblers as he said - only were installed in Feb before they shot the shell... So that is done. The other deck/coping guys who were bull nosing the spa coping told us they are frequently hired by the original deck crew to go behind them and clean up their messes. I asked them if they would be the ones fixing the pieces of coping on the spa. I pointed to the 6 pieces that are messed up (3 rectangular non cut pieces next to very skinny and very cut pieces so each piece of coping is not uniform like 7/8th of the spa is). The guys saw it and said it was bad cuts but they aren't hired to do that. Ugh ok.

The bull nose seems ok at first glance. I need to go and really check it and feel how smooth it is etc.

They were going to do the wall coping but the pieces of travertine the deck company owner brought over were all damaged and scratched up and they refused to use it. At least SOMEONE has some sense. So they insisted new travertine be brought.

They came back a few days later and did the coping on the wall and mortared the coping on the columns (that was already cut by the first coping guy). They then bullnosed it all. They did all this while we were not home so the next day when we came out and looked at it... Well.... It's not good. The coping pieces are not level, there is over 1/8th inch height difference. There are wide gaps between some pieces. None of the edges of the cut column coping line up tight. They used 4 pieces with mitered 45 degree cuts for the cap on the column. I don't know WHAT happened but there are wavy lines on the cuts and the pieces are not flush and tight (though they were when the first guy cut them but couldn't mortar them bc of the gas lines). Lastly, the bull nose they did on the part over the glass tile is wavy so needs to be fixed too. The construction manager saw everything we pointed out and is aware it needs to be fixed too.

Oh! When the electricians were here, I had to go out and show them which under step lights went where. It was after it had rained and an area in front of the step up to the spa where the deck crew "leveled" the deck when they were here a few weeks ago for 2.5 hours now has standing water. Gee....if the deck drain went completely across the deck, that may help, but also leveling the deck is more than just fixing a high or low paver. Plus the far door patio is too high and the door gets stuck open so that has to be lowered too. But while over by the step to show where the light went, I saw ants building a nest in the sand where the pavers meet the stone and all this sand is built up next to the stone on the riser (since the stone wasn't placed so it sits ON the deck like I wanted).

And seeing the ant bed was it. I was so over seeing the sloppy way the pavers met the stone esp when I went on our PBs fb page and found pics of a raised stone spa and shocker - the deck was UNDER the stone and looked nice and tidy.

I knew my hubby had sent a rather aggressive and unhappy email to the head company owner (he owns the PB company with our PB but he also does home improvements and is head over the PB we deal with) however, no response from him. I decided this was it. I was tired of holdong my tongue. I was tired of being nice but firm with my requests. And I was done being patient and understanding.

I sent this pic
20988489_10212458856533653_7784709414956136184_o.jpg

Our spa on top, another spa they did on bottom (the way I expected our stone work)

I then sent this text to PB - warning - it's long!

"I am sending this pic of two raised stone spas by ******** Pools, the top ours, to show how horrible it looks and the bottom as an example of what was expected. We have tried to adjust and accept the quality of work done with this deck and many projects but after 6 weeks, it is only getting worse. The stone was placed and left a space below it for the deck. I even questioned how the deck would fit under the stone and was assured it would be taken care of. And it wasnt. We have over $******* invested in this pool yet the quality of the work some of these hired subs have demonstrated, it looks like children did the work instead. Not only does this make us frustrated and very upset, but it reflects poorly on ******** Pools as well. We have had friends and even other subs that have seen how the deck and stone meet and they all comment on how sloppy it looks. This MUST be fixed. I expressed my expectations of the stone sitting on top of the deck since the very beginning back in Jan/Feb, seven months ago, and yet it still was not done. This bottom pic of a previously completed spa by ******** Pools shows the ability to do it correctly is possible yet I dont know why we continue to have unsatisfactory and sloppy work performed on our projects. Furthermore, between Anderson (tile guy) and Robbie with his crew (deck), we have ZERO faith that they would be able to be trusted to correct these issues. The little leveling work Robbie's crew attempted to do over 2 weeks ago, while they were here for only 2.5 hours, has resulted in standing water on the deck that even A******* (construction manager) commented on. They damaged over 20% of the deck during install and over 75% of it is unlevel to the point of being a safety hazzard as I have tripped several times walking on it, falling once (which with my back injury can cause major issues) and even Robbie himself tripped twice when he was out here. This was supposed to be a fun and exciting time in our lives - finally getting the pool we have dreamed about for over 10 years and yet it has turned into a nightmare and even discussing it puts us both in a horrible mood. I have tried to hold my tongue more than Randy (hubby) has but to say I am disappointed with the process and results of the work done is a huge understatement. What should have brought joy and excitement to us has done nothing but causes stressed and frustrations. I know Randy (hubby) recently expressed similar feelings to B***** (head PB) via email and to my knowledge, nothing was said in response as of yet. We decided to go with ******** Pools over 2 other builders because of you, C*****, and I know you have been trying to make things right and have helped in previous areas, for which we are grateful, but it has continued a serious downward spiral with little being done to fix it and we have had to be our own General Contractors on site managing and often having to argue with subs and that is not what we signed up for. We hired a pool building company to do that and to handle the stress, check the quality of the work, and for them to be the ones putting out the fires and yet we are still left here doing it ourselves. I hate to even think where we would be if I was not home every day and Randy (hubby) half of the time to prevent major mistakes and potential damage to our home. And that shouldn't be the case. Sorry for the long text but I don't have your email, Randy (hubby) is working, and it was best I type this out to maintain control of my emotions and make sure this was clear and direct."

Nine hours later, he replied "Your absolutely right, not acceptable and will be corrected".

The next day, construction manager was out to finish the concrete and water proof barrier in the shell where he had to fill in the huge holes in our shell that he cut to access the conduit (and subsequently the dust is over EVERYTHING including the screen and hosing isn't working).

Holes prior to being filled in but prep crew did clean shell and removed the accent tile :cry: :pale: :cry:
20901567_10212458856213645_1316926722771026823_o.jpg

Acid washed shell (main PB dad was part of the crew that put the fittings into the jets and such and he said you CANNOT acid wash the tile - was not there so not sure if he meant ALL tile or just the glass? But there are several tiles with grout all over them)
20934981_10212458856093642_7885129592774949840_o.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:
20934998_10212458856133643_944887101231637058_o.jpg

So speaking of main PB dad... He was going on and on that he only did renovations when he did his business bc people get very cranky with new pool builds and errors etc and was apparently talking to hubby like he was the real brains but avoid the main work bc he doesn't like dealing with the customers. So since he's been doing pools and such for so long before his son and now with his son, everything should be done correctly that they did right?

Wrong. I looked at the spa and the fittings for the jets looked like they stuck out of the shell really far but I ddibt say anything bc I figured it was right. Hubby the comes to me later that day and says the fittings are wrong and sticking out too far after showing Construction Manager how they looked. So CM calls main PB dad to tell him about the mistakes and you could hear him yelling on the phone that there is no way it was wrong. Sigh...

So they came out the next day and had to redo the spa fittings. Hubby then noticed a return (I think that is what it's called - its a circular fitting in the shell that will feel like a jet) is at an angle and didn't look right (hard to explain but I told him to send a pic to CM). They SAY plaster tomorrow (during a solar eclipse ha so some darkness for a little part of the day) but I don't know what kind of prep they do and I don't want another delay bc no other bothers to go behind the subs to check quality of work. I also asked plaster guy what they do to prevent rain from streaking plaster while filling but no reply.

Speaking to the CM, I told him that if the same deck crew was going to be sent to fix all the problems that 1) we have no faith they can do it without more problems, 2) they will need someone out there with them the entire time pointing out every little issue bc they can't be trusted to do the job, and 3) we do NOT want to be the ones stuck out there pointing out every mistake.

Additionally, to fix how the stone and pavers meet, my thoughts were chalk line snapped where pavers hit stone. The. pull up deck next to stone. Use a small saw to cut the stone where the pavers hit it. Small chisel used to remove the stone that is extending below the stone. Then cut pavers to fit UNDER edge of the stone. Only issue is we are talking about 1-1.5" to "add" to the deck to fit under the stone. If they just slide the existing pavers under the stone and then cut deck to fill in the gaps, we will have a lot of skinny 1" pieces. So the CORRECT way to do this is to cut new pieces that are wider to fit under the stone. The issue is there is already not enough pavers left to replace all the scratched deck. Now to need more to fix where the stone meets pavers.... I tried to tell PB to order 2 crates of pavers but he didn't.

So this issue is the steps with stone on the risers, the entire spa, the columns, and back of the wall. The only area I am trying to figure out in my head is the front of the spa where it meets the coping, the coping meets stone on risers, and the front edge of the columns as the stone takes place of the coping on the side where the waterline tile is.

This is showing how the coping meets the spa. My thought was to leave the coping as is and cut the stone and tuck the actual deck under the stone.
19059992_10211817967151819_5670890293682718545_n.jpg

This is before the pavers were placed so you can see how the coping abuts the stone. Should I have them notch a space in the stone so the stone sits on top above the coping and matches the pavers?
19059283_10211817966111793_9147436888312560538_n.jpg

This is obviously coping meeting stone risers. My thought is here the coping needs to extend under the edge of the stone. The stone wraps around the corner of the step so it will still be finished above the coping.
19225241_10211817967031816_2441670579738530055_n.jpg

The front of the columns showing how the stone replaces the coping on the front. This has been the most difficult one for me to decide on. If the coping extends under the stone, then it will do so on the front like 1-1.5". Not sure how that will look. But feel the same way if the coping isn't under the stone but the deck is. Now I could MAYBE have the coping notched on the front corner so the stone stays in front of the column, down to the waterline, and then after the width of that piece of stone, it will be under the stone on the side of the column. Clear as mud?

Imagine the red area was cut away and then slide the coping to the left so the front face of the stone remains but the side part removed so the coping slides under the edge of the stone
20933893_10212459330505502_3198242976625500277_o.jpg

Oh and the stone WILL be sitting on top of the deck, regardless. I hate how it looks now. It looks lazy and sloppy. I expected the stone to be sitting on top of the deck from the beginning so no changing that idea. Just want to see if I am tackling the remedy for it the right way.

Also, hubby surprised me and told me he upgraded 3 of our 6 jets to therapy jets for my back. So that is exciting.

Back to the stairs, the CM ran the conduit for the wires for the lights a while ago and even though I kept explaining how the lights were mounted on a plate that was sandwiched under the coping and wasn't on the riser of the step, he still drilled the conduit in the middle of the riser. The lights were finally here so I showed him and he's like oh this is way easier! Yeah except now you see why I said the conduit is in the right place and I don't know how patching it with stone will look. Hoping the ragged edges will allow it to blend in.

Keep going back and forth on furniture. I really like that Aruba blue fabric on Wayfair and think a dark grey or similar color for actual furniture to get some contrast. But not sure if I should do the Aruba color or navy to go with the tile and then accent with Aruba pillows.

Also, opinions on chaise lounges with or without cushions?

Whew.... I think I have caught everything up. Long and short of it is:

- fix damaged coping pieces (4) around pool
- fix coping pieces on top of wall and columns
- fix 6 pieces of coping on spa
- fix stone and put pavers under stone edge
- level deck to fix drainage issues
- extend deck drain across deck
- replace all damaged pavers
- lower door patio so door doesn't stick
- clean grout off tile
- install under step lights and repair stone risers
- set mortar bed and finish both door patios
- still need spillway

And I am sure there is more I can't think of.

Oh I am starting to read pool school but I also want to test our tap water from our well. What tests are needed on the fill water we will use? This looks very familiar to the water testing I do for my aquarium. They use vials with drops of chemicals added in (no test strips) so hoping it is similar. But wanr to test a few times and get a base line.

Also, remind me about fill tips? Wash cloth over hose end? Start in deep end only? Thanks.

WOW :shock: they are still at it? I have thought about you a few times but hoped your were busy enjoying your pool :( I am going to share my thoughts one at a time:

-Coping where it meets the stacked stone-I would leave it like it is. The notching will be hard AND even harder to make it look right. The coping look fine like it is. I really think they will do more harm than good even trying to notch and such. I am betting there will be gaps and such and it will end up looking bad.

-decking by spa-they DO need to fix that! Not sure how...........thinking it will involve taking out many pieces to make it look right. NOT doing many little pieces though!

-Testing-don't bother doing the CYA test as that has to be added. Do all of the other tests and share them like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA (not tested yet)

Once you do I will give you a shopping list.

Kim:kim:

Wow. I wish you luck on all counts. I am glad I just got a basic pool with very little that could be messed up. With the amount of money you are spending they should make it right. It is so hard to even look at the PB's previous work as of course they are only going to show you the successes. Most PB's contract out each job so you never know if you are going to get the professionals or the ones that are picked up at Home Depot on the way over. The quality of some of your work really shows the contractor has no pride in their work at all. Just finish a job and move on. Sad.

So plaster crew was here at 740am. I couldn't get to sleep until 630am so I couldn't drag myself out of bed to go out there. They used a tarp to cover it while working but they said no issues after they rinsed it off. They will acid wash tomorrow and then fill. They said there would be no issues with rain today bc they will acid wash tomorrow. He said the acid wash will remove most of the streaks and once the pool is filled and acid added and the ph comes down, it will cure the plaster totally and streaks will all be gone.

I am hoping too that the acid wash will expose more of the glass and abalone. I forgot to ask him how many bags of shells they did. I believe they mixed 2 batches of color so that should be 2 bags of abalone. I was just trying to take in all the rules for the first month, with brushing, no salt, no heater, no dog to scratch finish, etc and forgot to ask how much was added.

And boo bc we had a 91% totality view of the eclipse today and of course a thunderstorm had to pop up right as we started to get the eclipse and stayed past the peak. Oh well at least we got to watch it on tv.

Here's some pics before the rain

20934166_10212462092734556_9168463274151018893_o.jpg

20934864_10212462093174567_4758694168088843303_o.jpg

20934836_10212462093654579_158799086982078762_o.jpg

21014182_10212462094174592_6387559150710352202_o.jpg

20934759_10212462094454599_5423795135757468873_o.jpg

Trying to see the glass and abalone. I see some of it.. Again hope acid washing brings out more
20934855_10212462095614628_2059238652874337581_o.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful! Did they hand cast it?

Yes all hand cast abalone at the end. I believe 2 bags since this should have been 2 batches of plaster and each batch has 1 bag of abalone. The glass (3 bags per batch) was mixed in.

Brent - hope so! They said as long as they don't have to add in a lot of acid, we could get in right soon after it's filled just be careful.

At least we can swim while they fix the list of issues.

Ok Kim here are my results

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 130
CH 500
CYA not tested yet

I also did a salt test strip bc we use salt in our water softener via ion exchange. Didnt think there would be salt in the water but figured I would just see. The white did not quite make it to the first little line so .2 so I'd say basically no salt lol

I can't imagine how I would have handled all you guys have been through but at least the end is near. What furniture are looking at through Wayfair? I have a bunch of the TK Classics from them and we're very pleased with the purchase. Looking forward to seeing seeing your finished product, and yes cushions for the chaise and also add a accent bolster pillow as it makes it even more comfortable.

Salty

I can't imagine how I would have handled all you guys have been through but at least the end is near. What furniture are looking at through Wayfair? I have a bunch of the TK Classics from them and we're very pleased with the purchase. Looking forward to seeing seeing your finished product, and yes cushions for the chaise and also add a accent bolster pillow as it makes it even more comfortable.

Salty

Salty, I am really liking the Florence TK Classics set in navy.

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors More

I need to see if they make a matching set in a long L shape sectional as we have 2 seating areas. Then matching chaise loungers. Thanks for the input on the cushions. I thought they would be good but then wondered if it would be a problem being wet or with sun tan lotion. I really like your thinking with the bolster pillow!

Anddddd I just searched Florence on there and omg... So many options and with the cup holders! Woo hoo! Now to figure out what works and cost and all that.

Salty, I am really liking the Florence TK Classics set in navy.

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors More

I need to see if they make a matching set in a long L shape sectional as we have 2 seating areas. Then matching chaise loungers. Thanks for the input on the cushions. I thought they would be good but then wondered if it would be a problem being wet or with sun tan lotion. I really like your thinking with the bolster pillow!

Anddddd I just searched Florence on there and omg... So many options and with the cup holders! Woo hoo! Now to figure out what works and cost and all that.

That's the same setup we went with only it was the Laguna style and cilantro covers plus the beige covers. Our initial order got messed up and was missing one end piece for the sofa. Wayfair told us to keep what was already delivered and resent the 8 piece again so we have all kind of seating and also ended up from the first shipment with someone else's black set (can't remember name, Barbados maybe?) of chairs and the cup table and another set of covers in Aruba. We get lots of compliments on the setup. Also make sure to order medium clips when you place your order and get lots of accent pillows.

Salty

Thanks for the tip! I saw those clips and was wondering what they were but saw that's what keeps it together.

That is so awesome you ended up with extra stuff at no charge! I had that happen but with a custom made bridle and halter for my horse lol Though would love that to happen with this furniture since it isn't exactly cheap!

Your water test looks good. Your PH is spot on. The TA is a little high but that is easy to work on!

Your CH is higher than I thought it would be. Is this water using the water softener? There is no way to reduce CH other than to remove and replace with water that is lower in CH.

Your shopping list is an easy one:

-Muriatic acid-make sure to get the 31% kind. Most of the time it is outside by the pool stuff at Lowes.

-chlorine or bleach-have you looked around in your area for chlorine? Some pool stores sell liquid chlorine that is 11%. You just have to "rent" their jugs. Bleach as in plain, no pretty smells, not splashless, just plain, cheap bleach. Watch the date codes though! You don't want it more than 3 months old.

-2 2 cup plastic measure cups-one is for muriatic acid and the other is for all others.

-something to keep the muriatic acid in or some where-it cannot be stored with the chlorine-they don't play well together. It should not be stored near metal as the fumes can cause rust. Mine is outside at the back of the barn.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.