New Build in Middle Georgia

bmoreswim

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
I referred to 40 as an absolute minimum. Which is to say that 50 or 60 is a better minimum. Not that much difference in pH buffering between 40 and 60. It's when you get up to 100 or 120 that the rise is noticeably faster. I don't know the technicals, but there is a point where your TA is too low and can crash your pH.

This thread has some good reading. Specifically note the comments from JoyfulNoise and ChemGeek as they are experts in this area.

Relationship beteen pH and alkalinity

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
Oh I didn't realize I should let my pH float that high, I'll change my strategy. I played with some numbers in the pool calculator and the only way I can get my CSI close to 0 or higher (with very minimal FC and CYA for now) is to raise my CH from its current 80 ppm. I asked the question earlier in the thread and didn't receive a response. I tested my fill water CH at 60 ppm, so I guess it's fairly soft. I just got my 25 lb bucket of calcium in from amazon today, should I start slowly adding some?

In other news, the tech hooked up my actuators today, all but the heat pump bypass actuator. We had a slight disagreement about it, but he's going to go back and talk to the expert who's already agreed on it and gave me the price. He says they don't even do bypasses any more because people can't figure them out.

He also put in my iAqualink, so I spent a couple hours figuring it out and messing with settings, until I hit the snag of not being able to set my pump speed. After about an hour, I finally figured out he hasn't run the 485 cable yet, doh. Though I'm not sure how it gets the water temp without that, where's that coming from?

Oh and he set up all these schedules for my lights, bubblers, waterfall. He thought we'd enjoy them coming on at dinner and whatnot. I didn't want to be rude, as he probably spent 10-15 minutes setting all that up, so I was going to just disable those schedules until he came back next time, but the stupid iAqualink software doesn't let you just disable a schedule, only delete it. So I deleted all his schedules. What's the point of having all this capability from your phone if you're just going to treat it like simple timers?

Last edited:

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
Thanks, Kim.

Allen, yeah I've read and agonized over that instruction several times. But I'm walking a fine line between what the PB tells me to do/not do and what I read from this forum and Wet Edge itself. I don't want to screw something up that PB could then use against me to negate a warranty claim, but I also don't want to neglect something which is going to decrease the life of my plaster. I've had that discussion, "Wet Edge says this..." but their reply is their experience and their expertise, so that's a dead end. I envy the owner builders on this forum.

That 3.5 lbs baking soda I added Sunday seems to have a white film floating on the pool. Either that or it's coincidental with something else, can't find any other posts related to it not dissolving all the way, any experience with this? I'll start adding a little bit of calcium this evening, Wet Edge says no more than 10 lbs at a time so I might do 5.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
I raised my calcium by adding a 25lb bucket all at once I dumped it from the end of the diving board. Also have added baking soda and never had it not mix almost immediately. Do you have anything that could agitate the surface?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
You can put a skimmer sock or a t-shirt (so long as you make sure the water flows through it) in your skimmer to help filter out whatever that stuff is. Here in FL we are already starting with the blooming so lots of stuff in the air. I wonder if that is what you are seeing?
Kim:kim: