New Build in Houston - Oak Forest

I run my pool pump in summer from 7am-5pm every day with Chiller running for most of that whole time (outside of the two intervals when my cleaner is running which is about a total of 1.5 hours a day). I need to run it that long to keep the water temp where I want it. Another reason to have it plugged into the automation so you can set the schedules. If u have a robot obviously you won’t have this issue.
A lot will depend on how much sun your pool gets and how warm your water gets in summer.

I'm also jealous of the price. I'm literally a couple miles from you and paying $35K more for a somewhat similar size. I do however have to install a drainage/renetion area due to being in the 500yr flood plain & having an oversize lot. But even without that, you have quite the savings.

I had bids in that range from some of the bigger places, but this guy's cuts out a lot of the overhead by running it all himself. He built a friend's pool about 3 years ago and it's a great pool. I'm in the 100 yr plain, but been here 10byears and never got close to flooding...barely water in the street. He is putting in deck drains to the street and a few in the surrounding yard though.

That being said, I do have extra costs from moving the gas line, burying power, and getting an extra fence/gate since my driveway gate won't be up to code for a pool. That's about 7k extra on top of his estimate.

Reactions: stonehenge
I had bids in that range from some of the bigger places, but this guy's cuts out a lot of the overhead by running it all himself. He built a friend's pool about 3 years ago and it's a great pool. I'm in the 100 yr plain, but been here 10byears and never got close to flooding...barely water in the street. He is putting in deck drains to the street and a few in the surrounding yard though.

That being said, I do have extra costs from moving the gas line, burying power, and getting an extra fence/gate since my driveway gate won't be up to code for a pool. That's about 7k extra on top of his estimate.
Hey neighbor! Also building a pool in Oak Forest right now. It looks like we have very similar builds and pricing- mine is all Jandy and a little smaller than yours.

I’m curious about your gas experience- I don’t have to move the line but I will have to upgrade the meter. All of the PBs I quoted told me centerpoint won’t touch it until everything is done.

Also heads up, some PBs told me I had to bury the electrical line before the city would approve the permit. But the PB I went with just put it in the pool plan that it would eventually be buried and it passed. Which turned out to be prescient because the bobcat sunk so low during the dig that it would have possible broken the electrical conduit!

Hey neighbor! Also building a pool in Oak Forest right now. It looks like we have very similar builds and pricing- mine is all Jandy and a little smaller than yours.

I’m curious about your gas experience- I don’t have to move the line but I will have to upgrade the meter. All of the PBs I quoted told me centerpoint won’t touch it until everything is done.

Also heads up, some PBs told me I had to bury the electrical line before the city would approve the permit. But the PB I went with just put it in the pool plan that it would eventually be buried and it passed. Which turned out to be prescient because the bobcat sunk so low during the dig that it would have possible broken the electrical conduit!

Sorry for the late response, phone was stolen Thursday night and just getting everything settled from that.

Still waiting on the gas line move...should be this week. From what I was told, my meter is large enough and they'll just upgrade the regulator to handle 630k. The PB did say if a new meter was needed that they would have to wait until the heater is installed.

For the power, the PB is submitting for permit this week knowing the lines will be buried. Said it should be fine...he wants to get a jump start so when they are both done he can start the dig.

Reactions: kimkats
After a long wait, we finally got the power line buried and gas moved this past Thursday! Today we picked out coping, back wall Stone and tile. Not what we originally thought we wanted, but think we made a solid choice. Dig is set for Friday!
IMG_20200215_125711.jpg

Last edited:
I know its not a huge sample to look at but this is stones capes Tahoe blue from a pool my builder did. When our pool is done I'll take more pictures for you. It can take on a bit of green hue depending on how many trees you have around but we loved the color! Good luck!

C0F3E154-7DB9-45D2-9F96-816F8A987D8E.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know its not a huge sample to look at but this is stones capes Tahoe blue from a pool my builder did. When our pool is done I'll take more pictures for you. It can take on a bit of green hue depending on how many trees you have around but we loved the color! Good luck!

Thanks! My wife worries about any green hue, but we don't have trees and not too many in the neighbors' yards. Would love to see how yours turns out

After a long wait, it's dig day! One thing we've already noticed it the garage is not square with the house! The backside is 6-8 inches further from the pool that the front. My architect wife is going to hate that it will seem crooked. It looks worse from the back than it does from the patio. We're going over some options, including modifying the siding on the garage so it appears straight. I'll add more pics tonight when the dig is done

IMG_20200225_094704_01.jpg
IMG_20200225_100944_01.jpg

Dig done and rebar set for 6am! Once dug, the alignment was unnoticeable. Wife said it was okay...disaster adverted! Only issue today was the power going to my detached garage was cut where the bobcat was going insane out of the pit. Good thing I noticed and cut the breaker before someone felt it! Just ran an extension bcord from my garage fridge to the patio for now. It will get fixed after gunite

IMG_20200225_192642.jpg

Glad you noticed the line was cut and you threw the breaker. I dont know where this is in relation to the pool and equipment pad, but you may still have lots of yard trenching after gunite (Plumbing, sewer tie in, electrical, drainage, fixing sprinklers etc.). I would make sure they are done with all the trenching before you permanently fix the line.

The line isn't in any path of plumbing or planned electrical, just decking. We already know the path where the new irrigation controller will go, since it was a planned cut. Just noticed my slightly drunken text that said the bobcat went insane! That should have been 'in and out' but it's very fitting. I was already celebrating early

Jump out there first thing and measure everything. Have your plans in hand while you do it. Is it deep, long, wide, ect enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell , and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed.

SO glad it passed her inspection!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.