New Build in Houston - Oak Forest

WHAT???? :shock: what a wonderful surprise to come home to!

It is time for YOUR set of links! The top set has to do with getting the best plaster job and the bottom set is about taking care of it once it happens.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Oh and those small areas will be VERY easy to fix so you will not even know they were there. They might even just leave them for the plaster people to fix. Each PB has their own way of doing things. Just know it can be fixed!

Oh and those small areas will be VERY easy to fix so you will not even know they were there. They might even just leave them for the plaster people to fix. Each PB has their own way of doing things. Just know it can be fixed.
That's always relieving to hear! He said the same, but hearing it from folks here helps. He's coming out this morning to look at it (and pick up some money!). Nothing going on today, but equipment and plumbing scheduled for Friday and electric on Saturday.

I ordered the TF test kit a few days ago, so I'll be ready to test my fill water and go from there!

Here's a few morning pics I took this morning from the back angles before I left for work.
IMG_20200227_071214.jpgIMG_20200227_071231.jpgIMG_20200227_071241.jpg

Have you started bonding with your pool? aka watering it. This helps it cure slower so it is stronger. Try for 2 or 3 times a day until you see it is not sucking it in as fast. You can set up a sprinkler to help you on.

So it's been a while on updates! It was my kids bday this past week and busy with work, but with a pretty good amount of progress.

Got all equipment in and electric panel out in, then 2 days went with no progress due to inspections. All passed!
IMG_20200306_143511.jpgIMG_20200306_143520.jpgIMG_20200306_143533.jpgIMG_20200306_143538.jpgIMG_20200306_143544.jpg

The last few days were tile and coping. Had a small panic (actually my wife) when the builder sent a pic showing our spa ledge was slightly over a foot, when our tiles are 6 inch.
20200304_112022_1583342448205_01.jpg
He gave us several options, including adding a strip of white marble in the middle or outside edge. Just as my wife was feeling okay with the outside marble, he sends an idea the tile guys had to make it flow well.
20200304_135140_1583351520323_01.jpg
While my wife liked it, she had concerns over his it would meet at the pool/ledge corner with those half pieces. She started drawing (again, her inner architect is a blessing). We laid out the tiles in the corner and sent him that and the drawing and he said they could make it work and would change if we didn't like it.
IMG_0174_01.jpgIMG_0177.jpg

Continued on the next post...pic limit!

So today they finished it all up and it looks great! Here's the pics of all the tile, coping, and back wall. Even took a pic of the skimmer to show the detail and time they took to make sure it was perfect.

IMG_20200306_143626.jpgIMG_20200306_143605.jpgIMG_20200306_143647.jpgIMG_20200306_143719.jpg

One little thing my wife noticed, that I didn't was they small corner square is turned 90 degrees off the pattern (zoom in on the corner of the spa). I was going to message the builder to fix it when my wife tells me she remembered learning about American Indian artists in art class. They would purposely add an imperfection to their art to distinguish themselves from their Gods. She thinks we should leave it be. Noone will ever notice and it's a character detail only we will know about.

• Love
Reactions: Locotl and kimkats
WOWZER! Man that is some AWESOME work right there! The attention to detail is off the charts! That skimmer pic says it all! I would be posting the names of the tilers everywhere to get them more work!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One little thing my wife noticed, that I didn't was they small corner square is turned 90 degrees off the pattern (zoom in on the corner of the spa). I was going to message the builder to fix it when my wife tells me she remembered learning about American Indian artists in art class. They would purposely add an imperfection to their art to distinguish themselves from their Gods. She thinks we should leave it be. Noone will ever notice and it's a character detail only we will know about.

Also Japanese appreciation for small imperfections- Wabi-Sabi

+ 1 with you and Maddie. And *if* anyone ever notices just say that any true artist deserves to 'sign' their work. Hard to disagree with how beautiful it all came out.

Reactions: jtburf
Thanks for all the compliments on the tiling. I was real iffy about my wife's choice of tile, thinking it wouldn't age well. But it looks great...gotta trust the designer!

They started clearing for the decking concrete and did the drainage piping on Saturday. Finished up all the concrete today. Don't have great pics, because they did part of my driveway and don't want to walk out on it yet.
IMG_20200309_184201.jpgIMG_20200309_184158.jpg

SWEET! It looks like they did a nice clean job of it!!

Went out this morning and it really does look nice and clean. We did realize they forgot our umbrella holders in the deck and the tanning ledge, but the builder said they can get them in before cool deck and plaster. Hope they do a clean job of drilling those holes!

We did pick our plaster this morning. Going with stonescapes mini pebble French gray with 2 bags of shells handcasted for tons of sparkle! I know the concerns about the shells, but the builder says he hasn't had any issues with the ones he uses. He's trying to have it done in the next couple days! It's forecasted to rain all next week and he's trying to beat that

A few days waiting with no work because my wife requested we add a step into the ground level spa, so we had to do that and wait a few days. Today is plaster day, with no rain in sight til Thursday! They are out there prepping and cleaning the pool out right now.

my wife requested we add a step into the ground level spa,
Pictures please!

They are out there prepping and cleaning the pool out right now.
OH HAPPY DAY!!!! Start looking for some socks to put on the end of the hoses to keep the metal off the new plaster and they will also help filter the water. Once they are done with the plaster and start adding water do NOT turn off the water for any reason! Doing so could cause a ring in the plaster.

Pictures please!

OH HAPPY DAY!!!! Start looking for some socks to put on the end of the hoses to keep the metal off the new plaster and they will also help filter the water. Once they are done with the plaster and start adding water do NOT turn off the water for any reason! Doing so could cause a ring in the plaster.

Just a small step after my wife climbed in and out a few times and realized how big of a step it was. There's one on the opposite side going into the tanning ledge as well
IMG_20200316_124628.jpg

Reactions: jtburf and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.