New build in DeWitt, Arkansas

This is only my 3rd time heating my pool. But this time I closed off the skimmers and filtered through the main drain while I was heating. This was insanely more efficient than using the skimmers.

This was my experience and a positive point for adding main drains. I do hate the drain covers though....my robot can get hung up for 30 minutes before it escapes....that would be a negative point for main drains ?

Hello -
Our build was scheduled to start yesterday but we have had an unimaginable amount of rain. Keeping my fingers crossed we get to start by April. We ordered a Latham Liner in Reef, no border. We did decide to go with gray steps and gray coping.

So, our build starts as soon as the ground is dry enough to get the track-hoe in the backyard. My question is how close should I build the pool to our back porch? Our house faces east and we have a a phenomenal amount of woods behind our back yard to the west. I am trying to get as much sun as possible. I would love to center the pool for esthetic purposes, but to avoid leaves & shade, closer to the house is best. Thoughts?

Many municipalities have building standards that specify that. Are you going to be getting a building permit?

Standard here is 5 feet.

Many municipalities have building standards that specify that. Are you going to be getting a building permit?

Standard here is 5 feet.
We went to the city dept to request a permit & was told no permit needed. We have a 12x12 roofed back porch & I have the pool site flagged starting at 12 ft from the back porch. Granted we have a relatively large yard because we sit on 1.33 acres, but we are surrounded by very large oak trees... heavily wooded. We have lots of wild life, we border the city limits

Last edited:
Do you have a 2 story house? Is there an upper deck? If so you do NOT want your pool to be close enough for any :crazy: person like my hubby and his brother to even think about jumping off of there into the pool!!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You so funny!! You said boys and not do something in the same sentence!!!!! Hahahaha!! Good luck with that! :hug: My two "boys" (hubby at 45 and his brother 40) insisted they could jump off the pool house into our 54" deep, above ground pool!!! :shock: NOT!!! PUT UP THAT LADDER NOW!!!!! BOYS!!! gurrrrrrrrr LOL

Well, that could be good and bad about the building permit.
Here in Nevada and in many places, the cost of the building permit is not trivial. And scheduling inspections is a challenge.

My backyard faces west and my pool is 9 feet from our ranch house. We get sun on the pool starting at 10 am until about 7 pm. (Attached photo 11:30 am) We live in central Indiana. Our backyard neighbors( the green house 2 doors behind us) have a pool, their backyard faces east. Their pool is about 6 feet from their covered patio and 2 story house. They only get sun on their pool in the morning and by early afternoon, maybe 2:00; their pool is in full shade.

Attachments

• 59938C47-A4C1-433D-AB59-37656FE7E067.jpeg
    59938C47-A4C1-433D-AB59-37656FE7E067.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 41
You have the space to the west. Take down more trees to give you space. Don’t crowd the house.

Reactions: BowserB
Our free form pool is at nearest 4' from the edge of our covered patio; at farthest 7.5 feet from the patio. Patio is 8 feet. So pool is 12-15.5 feet from the house. Back of pool is right to the edge of a 7 ft easement. We're in a city (Katy, TX) with permits and inspections for everything. Before it was finished, I had collected 8 inspection stickers (not counting a half dozen "pass pending" stickers, plus a final inspection letter. If you talk with the pool builder, the codes and inspections just slow the process, because he builds beyond code anyway. Talk with inspectors and you hear you're lucky to be in the city with city codes; pools built in the county are often substandard in one way or another. Our water softener required two inspections; standby generator about four. I don't know about benefits to me, but I can see plenty of benefits to the city from all those inspection fees!

My builder incorrectly measured my backyard. When excavation began, the supervisor told me they could not shrink the pool but he could turn it slightly to fit the space better. It is just under 2.5 feet from one corner of the house and under 3 feet from an adjacent corner.

(I have had no problems with it being so close. It was built in 1998.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.