New build in central Texas

6f9128a3331808716a42af8e633f2658.jpg

FYI, new framer is doing great!

In regards to the spa you can always do split level seating. It works well for the taller folks and the vertically challenged folks. It also allows you to sit on benches at different heights so the jets can target different parts of your back . Also the nice part is they do it at the gunite stage so you still have time to decide and it's easy for the crew to do it

The rebar height does not matter as much as when they do the gunite. When they set my rebar all the benches were the same height.
Here's an idea- sit down in a chair and measure from the ground to your chest and that will give you a good starting point of where you want one of the benches. Then when they come to do gunite you just tell the crew and they will make it happen
Mine is a 4 inch difference between the deeper bench and the shorter one

The rebar height does not matter as much as when they do the gunite. When they set my rebar all the benches were the same height.
Here's an idea- sit down in a chair and measure from the ground to your chest and that will give you a good starting point of where you want one of the benches. Then when they come to do gunite you just tell the crew and they will make it happen
Mine is a 4 inch difference between the deeper bench and the shorter one

How deep are the two heights? 18 and 22?

Looking good, just seeing this thread for the first time. Two things - the tanning ledge, I had wanted about 8 to 9" of water on the ledge, builder messed up and I have 5 to 6" - I would really really prefer 9". The step down might be a bit - 12 to 14" at that level, but I think worth it. You can't really lay in 3 to 6" of water and enjoy it. If your primary concern is the bubblers, I think you'd still be OK on those as well, you've got a dedicated pump to the water features and a valve on each one of them, I bet you can still make them spray any height you'd like.

On the depth of the seat in the hot tub, Sit and measure, I want the water to be up to my shoulders in a hot tub - so do a measurement. On mine from the seat to the top of the water is 18" - ideally I need another 4 to 5" - I'd target 22" at a minimum or maybe do the split seat and have some around 20" for shorter folk.

So, I bought a spa loop that was pre fabricated (assembly required) that claimed to fit a 8' spa with a 12" beam.

I had the form guy make the forms to a 10' diameter. I centered my single mega drain in the middle so I would have a bulls eye.

The form is about 200 degrees of a circle.

The loop only cleared the forms by about 1" in areas. Not enough for #4 rebar and enough gunnite.

So the rebar guy moved my spa loop more into the pool.

Now I must have him either:

1. move the loop and rebar back and increase the form diameter, or

2. Change the form diameter (biassing to match the rebar) and move my drain to match.

3. Move the rebar back to center on drain and modify my loop.

What do you all think?

Daily picture.

2cd29e7819c69e01387e3b78860719af.jpg
6941531053cb781158ba5ad37927ea6a.jpg

Sorry for delay
My spa seats are 26 inches for the deeper one and 22 inches for the shorter one. When you figure in the waterline subtract 3 inches. I'm pretty tall and I can tell you the 26 inch deep bench is perfect for a tall person

Six of one, half a dozen of another............any of those ways would work. I would talk to my gunite and rebar guys to find out what they think will work best in the long run. They do this every day so they should know what would work the best.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for delay
My spa seats are 26 inches for the deeper one and 22 inches for the shorter one. When you figure in the waterline subtract 3 inches. I'm pretty tall and I can tell you the 26 inch deep bench is perfect for a tall person

Is that to the top of the bond beam or coping? I assume bond beam due to the 3" water level. Just verifying.

Also, I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'1"..... if that has any bearing on recommendations.

My measurements were to the bottom of the coping. So for you and your wife's height the measurement I gave you will work perfect.
I'm taller than you and my 12 year old daughter is the same height as your wife and the taller bench goes up to her shoulders so it's perfect. Now if I sit on the taller bench the water will be slightly under chest level

I decided to have the forms enlarged to provide an 18" wall. That will waste some gunnite, but I will ha e a better wall to sit on and I have plenty of clearance to the plumbing and rebar.

The rebar guy promised to work Saturday and finish today. No show both days. I will have him move his rebar to center on the drain and new forms.

New Framer is rocking it though.

cab2d9429e6cec91ca3b922419d65e05.jpg

SO much going on at one time :shock: Seems like you are moving forward with everything other than Mr. Rebar...............wonder what is up with him?????? MR. REBAR!!!!!!!!!! Calling MR. REBAR!!!! There that should get his attention :roll:

Six of one, half a dozen of another............any of those ways would work. I would talk to my gunite and rebar guys to find out what they think will work best in the long run. They do this every day so they should know what would work the best.

I wish this was true, but my experience shows that they don't pay any attention to the details, they fit the rebar to fit the dig. If you want it a certain depth make it noted and check and double check them. I wish all of the guys would think about the usability of what they are doing, but I don't think they do.

I had the form guy square up my scupper bowl bases while he was there. One had either been bumped or was never square.

53ed3b05dfb96d2accdbd765dc8e6b0f.jpg

The rebar guy claims to be heading out there tomorrow to finish.

I think it will take me a couple weeks to prepare for gunnite after that.

Ok, I have a problem to solve. The tanning ledge is too deep. I was going to have 3 bubblers but I am afraid they will not work right if they are deep.

I don't feel like putting a ton of extra gunnite in across the entire area, so I was thinking about doing just a sloped area to cut the gunnite in half.

If I do that, I still need the bubblers near the drop off because I did not trench deep enough for the bubblers I have.

So the. I considered making some peninsulas, but I am afraid someone will trip over them.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.