New Build in Central Texas - Patio Build Out

@Stoopalini, has your wife said how close the color came out compared to what you saw online? I just keep hearing that you can’t go by the pictures and it will look different in your own yard because of surroundings. I get that, but I would think it has to look something like at least some of the pictures. So I’m wondering if she got what she was thinking she would get?

The color definitely met our expectations, if that's what you mean. Our pool builder has 4-5 demo pools at their showroom, and each demo pool has 2-3 different Pebble colors in them. So we actually saw quite a few colors in person, before deciding. Looking on line was more about seeing the Blue Surf in different environments, with different lighting, etc ...

Thanks for the information on the lights. I'm going to cut and paste those links and such - I want lights like that but don't want to think about wires in the brick wall. I was thinking something easy to attach to the outside of a wall but am not sure about splashing and water resistance. Your information will help a ton on my research! Thanks again.

Sure thing. Lighting makes a world of difference to me. I'm sensitive to bright light though, so I prefer a lot of dim lights around the space, rather than just a couple of bright ones. The only lights I've used which don't need wires are those solar up-lights. The ones in the wall and steps are wired. Keep in mind the solar ones stay on all night, or until the battery dies; while the wired ones are controlled by my EasyTouch system.

Placing wires in an existing wall isn't too bad, so long as you can have someone match the mortar color. They can just grind the mortar down to make room for the light bracket and wire, and then add new mortar after the lights are put into place.

Reactions: Nikilyn
The color definitely met our expectations, if that's what you mean. Our pool builder has 4-5 demo pools at their showroom, and each demo pool has 2-3 different Pebble colors in them. So we actually saw quite a few colors in person, before deciding. Looking on line was more about seeing the Blue Surf in different environments, with different lighting, etc ...

Sure thing. Lighting makes a world of difference to me. I'm sensitive to bright light though, so I prefer a lot of dim lights around the space, rather than just a couple of bright ones. The only lights I've used which don't need wires are those solar up-lights. The ones in the wall and steps are wired. Keep in mind the solar ones stay on all night, or until the battery dies; while the wired ones are controlled by my EasyTouch system.

Placing wires in an existing wall isn't too bad, so long as you can have someone match the mortar color. They can just grind the mortar down to make room for the light bracket and wire, and then add new mortar after the lights are put into place.

Hola, I have been building a pool in Liberty Hill since May, we are building a house too so that is some of the reason why I'm not even at gunite yet, or actually not even plumbed fully. You said your pool builder officer Levels of pebble sheen? My pool builder (out of Pflugerille) never said anything like that, quoted me a price for the sheen and I can pick any color that we want. Are you using a national builder? I'm torn between Blue Surf and Blue Granite myself.. your pool is fantastic. I have a grandchild so much of my consideration went into her well being and the cost of a spa was redic.. we had a spa for 18 years in our house in Atown and we didn't use it much after a few years, too hard to get out of, 2 hip replacements for me curtailed that.. BUT we used to love to go out on a cold night with champagne and go into the spa and look at the stars - you cannot beat the Texas sky at night. Congratulations on a gorgeous pool

Over the years here I've heard of many more pools with Blue Surf than Blue Granite. Blue Surf seems like a color that is pretty commonly found to be pleasing.

Reactions: Autie
Over the years here I've heard of many more pools with Blue Surf than Blue Granite. Blue Surf seems like a color that is pretty commonly found to be pleasing.
My pool builder says everyone get's Blue Surf now, the neighbor up the block used Blue Surf.. my pool is going to have grey coping, a grey patio - just a cement gray patio with swirls and the coping is lueder gray stone with swirls! so I don't want a pool color that is smurf blue, I want a color that is more grey blue.. if I am explaining myself correctly. I suppose I am reacting to my pool in Austin that was limestone and boulder limestones light brown, whitey coloring.. that pool was white plaster, then Aegean Green Color Quartz, it was gorgeous after redo (new tile) but I'm looking for more modern for this house and pool.. so ergo the rectangular pool with greys, blacks etc.. thank you for your reply.

Sounds like the last hour has been good for your decision making and eliminating Blue Smurf. It's a little too blue for me. Our pool has some of the same aesthetics as yours. Gray coping, concrete that is now mostly grey with some brown/tan as it's faded and rectangular. We went with a grey plaster which yield steel blue water. Don't be afraid to go with a grey pebble. The water color is quite nice. Though some may not like the grey appearance of the surface, the water color is very good for us. You can see pics in my link in signature, though again it's not a pebble so of no name benefit to your selection process.

Reactions: Autie
Hola, I have been building a pool in Liberty Hill since May, we are building a house too so that is some of the reason why I'm not even at gunite yet, or actually not even plumbed fully. You said your pool builder officer Levels of pebble sheen? My pool builder (out of Pflugerille) never said anything like that, quoted me a price for the sheen and I can pick any color that we want. Are you using a national builder? I'm torn between Blue Surf and Blue Granite myself.. your pool is fantastic. I have a grandchild so much of my consideration went into her well being and the cost of a spa was redic.. we had a spa for 18 years in our house in Atown and we didn't use it much after a few years, too hard to get out of, 2 hip replacements for me curtailed that.. BUT we used to love to go out on a cold night with champagne and go into the spa and look at the stars - you cannot beat the Texas sky at night. Congratulations on a gorgeous pool

Hey there, fellow Liberty Hill'ian! We did use a national builder, yes (you can probably guess which one too!). If your builder is offering any level of Pebblesheen at the same price, then they're charging you for the top tier and allowing you to pick any. I'd push on that a bit, as the upper tiers are considerably more expensive. Blue Surf is a Tier 1 color, so I would want a reduction in cost for choosing that color.

If you want to see the Blue Surf in person, send me a private message, and I'd be happy to tell you where we live. You can swing by at your convenience and have a look :)

Hey there, fellow Liberty Hill'ian! We did use a national builder, yes (you can probably guess which one too!). If your builder is offering any level of Pebblesheen at the same price, then they're charging you for the top tier and allowing you to pick any. I'd push on that a bit, as the upper tiers are considerably more expensive. Blue Surf is a Tier 1 color, so I would want a reduction in cost for choosing that color.

If you want to see the Blue Surf in person, send me a private message, and I'd be happy to tell you where we live. You can swing by at your convenience and have a look :)
HEY! thank you.. I will message you, now that is interesting.. I'm going to email my builder Ryan an and ask him him there is levels and see what he said, my pool is only 14K gallons I can't find what he charged us for the pebble sheen in my emails, so my husband and I are going hunting for all of our info on that dang pool. I will be emailing probably later this week, I have to be in Liberty Hill, Friday.. thank you so very much! regards.

Reactions: Stoopalini
So the patio is pretty much complete. The wife and I have been spending a lot of time cleaning things up, because the masons who did this work were not anywhere near the skill and quality of the guy who did the pool. There was mortar blobs and haze all over the stone work ... we've been cleaning and scrubbing with diluted muriatic acid, which seems to do the trick; it's just a slow, painstaking, process.

These masons also neglected to put the flexible conduit I gave them, into the retaining wall, for the lights :( .... even though I explained it to them at least 3 times .... It was supposed to be run inside the wall, and exit on the ground, to hide the wires. Unfortunately, it was too late by the time I caught it. I plan to chisel out some mortor, and run the wires in the channel, and then put fresh mortar over them.

I also got the backfill dirt in place behind the wall (where we will plant bushes and a tree), all the edging is now in place for the patio and planter, and I also broke out a lot of rock where we want to plant bushes in the spring.

Next up in to continue cleaning the mortar haze off the rest of the rock, do another round of crushed granite between the flagstone pieces, create two pathways in the yard from crushed granite and left over flagstone, get some mulch in the two tree planters, add some topsoil and grass seed around the patio perimeter, and finish up the lighting.

I'm also on the hunt for a propane fed fire pit for the patio area. One we can use in the off season, and then store away in the summer.

1603807112145.png

1603807316623.png

1603807364337.png

1603807545481.png

1603807652912.png

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Looking really good! The frustration of the conduit not being put in place really sucks. Could you possibly drill through the wall and bury the conduit behind the wall?

Thanks! We're really pleased with how it's all coming together. The patio definitely makes the space!

Luckily, I caught the conduit mistake before the column was built, and before the cap on the wall was installed; so at least there is conduit running from the front to the back of the wall, and the column has appropriate conduit exiting the bottom, for both the post light and the wall light on the front of the column. It's just the other 3 wall lights which have conduit exiting at the top :(

1603809296038.png

1603809371151.png

Reactions: spd500

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just read through this build for the first time. Very nice finished product. Also wanted to compliment your truck in the background. Love those k5 trucks!

Well, it will not let me post your picture from post #95
Thanks, we had originally planned to build a wall on that footer, to the same height as the decking, and fill in the area with soil ... but I spoke to an arborist a couple of weeks back and he warned me not to do that. He sent me a bunch of great info on caring for trees and how important it is for the root flare to be exposed. So we changed our plan to have that footer just contain a single row of moss rock, and we will just use some mulch in the planter. We actually went in and dug out the area, to expose the root flares of those 4 trees after reading what he sent :)

We're going to have the mason face the exposed gunite, and the side of the deck, with thin moss rock ... to create a perimeter of moss rock around the tree planter area.

View attachment 159582

View attachment 159583

Thanks! We certainly hope so! :D

I just read through this build for the first time. Very nice finished product. Also wanted to compliment your truck in the background. Love those k5 trucks!

Well, it will not let me post your picture from post #95

Thanks! That truck has been with me a long time. I don't think there is a bolt on it I haven't touched over the years. 2.5" lift, 1 ton axle conversion, 4 wheel disc brakes, motor build, etc, etc ... I built it up for rock climbing about 20 years ago (y)

1603888044346.png

Thanks! That truck has been with me a long time. I don't think there is a bolt on it I haven't touched over the years. 2.5" lift, 1 ton axle conversion, 4 wheel disc brakes, motor build, etc, etc ... I built it up for rock climbing about 20 years ago (y)

View attachment 167206
The old Blazers have always been a favorite of mine. I have had several over the years, the value of them is starting to get really high these days. I looked at one not long ago that was over $15K

The pool/backyard project (and truck) look great. I think you should take a polar dip out back today. :) :swim:

Thanks! And LOL ... I think I'll pass ;)

1603891298284.png

The old Blazers have always been a favorite of mine. I have had several over the years, the value of them is starting to get really high these days. I looked at one not long ago that was over $15K

I've always liked them too .... Mine's an '84, and I've had it since 2000. Prior to that, I had an '87 GMC Jimmy. When I married my wife in 2004, she made it clear the Blazer was part of the deal, so I'm never allowed to sell it :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
I missed your most recent pictures! Your yard's really come together - Just gorgeous! I love what you did with the patio and sand instead of grout and I know I mentioned that before. It's worth another mention! Curious - What will you do with that mound of dirt behind the wall? Elevated plantings?

I missed your most recent pictures! Your yard's really come together - Just gorgeous! I love what you did with the patio and sand instead of grout and I know I mentioned that before. It's worth another mention! Curious - What will you do with that mound of dirt behind the wall? Elevated plantings?

Thank you! I backfilled behind the waterfall and retaining wall, so it is the same grade as the ground around the backside of the pool now. The plan is to plant two ornamental bushes back there, one on each corner of the waterfall. So from the pool side, the bushes will kind of hug the sides of the waterfall rock. We also plan to plant a tree in the center, but set back about 15ft or so; so when looking at the waterfall from the pool side, there will be two bushes on the sides, and a tall tree right in the center, just set back further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.