New Build in Central Texas - Patio Build Out

All of the additional stone work for the patio and walls really helps tie in the waterfall well with the landscape and rustic appeal to your project. I have a similar plan to add a raised bed behind the raised wall on our pool but have much more limited space. What plants are you going with next to the pool? I'm assuming with your look, probably not tropical?

I don't think tropical will work well with our yard either but want something that won't drop debris in the pool or on the coping. Of course, I'm going to have to add a second landscape bed along the fence for a privacy hedge, it doesn't look like you have to worry about privacy.
0F5967B7-BAD6-46DE-B9F3-0FEA4D3A35F3.jpeg

All of the additional stone work for the patio and walls really helps tie in the waterfall well with the landscape and rustic appeal to your project. I have a similar plan to add a raised bed behind the raised wall on our pool but have much more limited space. What plants are you going with next to the pool? I'm assuming with your look, probably not tropical?

I don't think tropical will work well with our yard either but want something that won't drop debris in the pool or on the coping. Of course, I'm going to have to add a second landscape bed along the fence for a privacy hedge, it doesn't look like you have to worry about privacy.
View attachment 167331

Agreed, the additional stone work definitely ties the waterfall in better. We're hoping the landscaping will continue to help it blend in.

As for plants, you're right in they won't be tropical. We're not decided yet, but have been looking at different options. We're planning to plant in the spring, so have some time to really think it through.

My wife really likes honeysuckle, so those will most likely make their way in; and they're evergreen shrubs too. The only concern with these are bees; so need to do some more learning on that.

1603988200307.png

We're considering a couple of Dwarf Burning Bush plants for the planter areas, although I'm still not convinced they will be easy to maintain. The dwarf ones have a max height of 5ft, but here's a pic of what a burning bush looks like in the autumn. The rest of the year they are green.

1603988137882.png

We've been trying to focus our research on native plants to central Texas, in hopes of minimizing the upkeep for them. Drought resistant, evergreen, and colorful are our 3 primary search criteria.

Reactions: Autie
My wife really likes honeysuckle, so those will most likely make their way in; and they're evergreen shrubs too. The only concern with these are bees; so need to do some more learning on that.
We have a Honeysuckle that has grown all the way up our side fence and back down the other side in the neighbor's yard. When it reached the top of the fence and started going over the other side I told the neighbor that I was planning to cut it back the next coming weekend and he told me that they liked it and to let it grow, lol. We really don't see very many bees even when it is in full bloom, but you can smell it all the way across our backyard.

That burning bush would be amazing in fall! My wife and I aren’t big into gardening up keep, and we’ll have less time with needing to take care of the pool and using it!

Because we cut down so many trees (8 large trees, some over 80’ tall) our township requires us to replant some native species, we need to plant 3 x 30gal trees. I’m hoping to create a privacy hedge with Japanese Blueberry with the 3 trees mixed in, each side and the middle. Then have the raised landscaping bed across the back of the pool from the spa wrapping around the wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.