New build in CA

Last edited:
I wonder if I could put that artificial turf cover in regular grass and help hide the skimmer cover? Or do skimmer covers come in green? My PB said they can move and hide it under the bushes - all I know is I don't want a white circle in the middle of my grass!

Reactions: saralines
Pool overflow install... yes or no?

What is everyone's thoughts on whether to have an overflow plumbed into your pool should an situation occur if the pool gets too much water.

Debating if we should have one plumbed in before the poured coping goes in or not.

Depends how and where the overflow is being installed.

If done correctly it can be helpful if you get heavy storms, hurricanes, etc. If done wrong it can be worthl;ess and empty your pool from folks splashing around.

Depends how and where the overflow is being installed.

If done correctly it can be helpful if you get heavy storms, hurricanes, etc. If done wrong it can be worthl;ess and empty your pool from folks splashing around.
Thanks.. was curious what products/solutions are most common and effective.

Attachments

• 525F170B-8A44-48D9-A933-156280924B55.jpeg
    525F170B-8A44-48D9-A933-156280924B55.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 50
We are doing these: Volt Lighting - 1.5W 2700K
I've heard not to install them over water, so in our build we plan on doing them only on two sides of our spa. I chose these due to the ability to swivel them (ie shine more on the ledger-stone or more out towards the walk path). Also many of the cheaper ones do not have replacement bulbs (I'm not sure what customers do when the bulbs going out). I have Volt lights in my front yard and like the design and quality of them, plus these lights utilize G4 bulbs and can be replaced (or if wattage is to high/low can be adjusted). I chose the 1.5W due to my friend just installing some 3watt 2700k lights under his fire pit, and they are too bright for my liking.

And looking through your build, we have A LOT of similarities. Pool size, spa size, and equipment (heck even same cleaning robot). Curious what you do with your spa, our plumbers wouldn't recommend putting jets where the spill over is, so we had 6 jets. To get a total of 8 jets, we made the decision to add 1 jet on each 7' let, and only have seats on 3 sides of the spa wall. We got all of our equipment delivered yesterday, I noticed since I requested the IC60, we also had to get a different Intellicenter package which has a separate InteliChlor. From what I heard if I stayed with the pre packaged kit and got the IC40, the intellichlor panel would have been integrated with the Intellicenter panel. I'm not 100% sure about this, and really don't care as we wont see the equipment from the pool, but just a thought.

Last edited:
We are doing these: Volt Lighting - 1.5W 2700K
I've heard not to install them over water, so in our build we plan on doing them only on two sides of our spa. I chose these due to the ability to swivel them (ie shine more on the ledger-stone or more out towards the walk path). Also many of the cheaper ones do not have replacement bulbs (I'm not sure what customers do when the bulbs going out). I have Volt lights in my front yard and like the design and quality of them, plus these lights utilize G4 bulbs and can be replaced (or if wattage is to high/low can be adjusted). I chose the 1.5W due to my friend just installing some 3watt 2700k lights under his fire pit, and they are too bright for my liking.

And looking through your build, we have A LOT of similarities. Pool size, spa size, and equipment (heck even same cleaning robot). Curious what you do with your spa, our plumbers wouldn't recommend putting jets where the spill over is, so we had 6 jets. To get a total of 8 jets, we made the decision to add 1 jet on each 7' let, and only have seats on 3 sides of the spa wall. We got all of our equipment delivered yesterday, I noticed since I requested the IC60, we also had to get a different Intellicenter package which has a separate InteliChlor. From what I heard if I stayed with the pre packaged kit and got the IC40, the intellichlor panel would have been integrated with the Intellicenter panel. I'm not 100% sure about this, and really don't care as we wont see the equipment from the pool, but just a thought.
@joeprunc

I ended up not installing lights under our pour in place coping for the spa since it was too tight and complicated plus not advised from mfg. I will probably illuminate from our lower fence towards spa but I did get some Kichler lights for our steps in patio.. too bad they don't have replacement light bulbs like yours.. so if they go out have to pop thin set holding paver steps. Bought some 6, 12, and 18" versions for various steps throughout the patio

With respect to spa jets... I was not given any guidance or limitation to not install a jet below our spillway so as you can see from our pics here is what we did...
8 jets (technically 9)
5 Jets (I had the 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom sides) plumbed to a dedicate spa pump
3 Jets (I had 2 on the sides and 1 on the bottom middle (actually has 2 high and lower back) plumbed to the pool pump so this is shared with pool & spa

Spa Plumbing.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Curious what you do with your spa, our plumbers wouldn't recommend putting jets where the spill over is, so we had 6 jets. To get a total of 8 jets, we made the decision to add 1 jet on each 7' let, and only have seats on 3 sides of the spa wall.

Your spiilover will not be running when you use your spa jets so placing jets by the spillover should not be an issue.

We got all of our equipment delivered yesterday, I noticed since I requested the IC60, we also had to get a different Intellicenter package which has a separate InteliChlor. From what I heard if I stayed with the pre packaged kit and got the IC40, the intellichlor panel would have been integrated with the Intellicenter panel. I'm not 100% sure about this, and really don't care as we wont see the equipment from the pool, but just a thought.

The standard Pentair IntelliCenter bundle includes an IC40. But may builders will just take the IC40 and substitute an IC60 for a small upcharge. If you get the bundled Intelli9Center then the power for the IntelliChlor is integrated in the main panel. Otherwise you have a separate Power Center box for the IntelliChlor.

Any reason why the end of the tile markers in some areas of the pool do not match vs. the spa that does?

View attachment 366732

Lack of attention to detail. Maybe they didn't have a good tile to cut and fit on that end. Ask your PB to add a tile.

Lack of attention to detail. Maybe they didn't have a good tile to cut and fit on that end. Ask your PB to add a tile.
I was thinking that too but that is how the entire pool was done baja, baja steps, and deep end benches... spa was done different pic 1 - pool/baja , pic 2 - spa

Attachments

• PoolBajaMarkers.jpg
    PoolBajaMarkers.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SpaMarkers.jpg
    SpaMarkers.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 26
I think they where just sloppy. Talk to the project manager and tell him that you want the design uniform across all pool features.
They are going to fix all the pool tile markers so that all the ends are even and they match similar to what was done in the spa..

Reactions: ParB
@ajw22 Any good references to understand what to expect with the installation process of Hydrazzo and the startup process? Educating myself before we get Hydrazzo installed next week

@ajw22 Any good references to understand what to expect with the installation process of Hydrazzo and the startup process? Educating myself before we get Hydrazzo installed next week

Nothing special about the Hydrazoo installation other then the day after the plastering they polish the syrface which gives the finish the smooth texture. The extra day of polishing is what adds to the Hydrazoo installation price and is what makes it different then the acid wash startups that are done.

Nothing special about the Hydrazoo installation other then the day after the plastering they polish the syrface which gives the finish the smooth texture. The extra day of polishing is what adds to the Hydrazoo installation price and is what makes it different then the acid wash startups that are done.
So day 1 install hydrazzo... day 2 come back polish and fill pool... and the startup process begins?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.