New Build Help

TexasOasis

Sep 22, 2020
South Texas
Hi! We are so new to IG pools, so I am very grateful to have discovered this forum. I am usually long winded so I’ll do my best... I’m lying... this will be long!

Our home is on a man made lake with an HOA in south Texas. We are limited to pool location and size due to setbacks, easement, building codes, etc.. I have met with several builders and have a design that gives us what we want and maximizes space. I have attached a picture of what we like.

The pool measures approximately 22x12 of swim space with a 7x7 spillover spa. Pool depth ranges from 3-5.5 ft. We included long bench seating on one side to be able to look out at the view. We have a covered concrete slab patio that we plan to have overlaid with decking to match whatever decking we opt for around the pool.

Before we select our builder, any input on the following?

Pool finish - most seem to do quartzscape although one does a pebble finish from a concrete company in Arizona or New Mexico, I can’t recall. What to watch for or be weary of...

Pool decking and coping - I get mixed answers... some swear by concrete with spray deck, while another pushes travertine, and then another only does pavers. I’m concerned about not raising my patio too high with whatever I top it with so it doesn’t get too close to the door threshold. I’m also concerned about durability and maintenance as well as safety for whatever we select. Money is an object as well so I don’t want to go crazy on the decking if it’s something I can upgrade later. Any ideas about stamped concrete with a spray deck/acrylic overlay? If we do concrete decking, is concrete coping an okay choice as well?

Pool equipment - everyone here uses Pentair. I want the Intellicenter. I’m torn between basic chlorine and the SWG. Convince me which one is truly lowest/easiest maintenance and cost! I also really think I want a chiller for the pool. It is usually so hot here and I am worried the pool will become a bathtub in the summer since it’s not that big.

Any other features or thoughts to consider??? Hoping to make the final decision over the next week.

Thank you all in advance. 😊

Attachments

• 8351129F-EC63-4685-8C5A-CF1CD6B32B3E.jpeg
    8351129F-EC63-4685-8C5A-CF1CD6B32B3E.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 34
Hola! You'll find tons of help here. I'll touch on each issue as you mentioned them-

I'm glad to see that spa doesn't cut in to your usable pool space. I agree with Kathy- 3 foot is wayyyyyy too shallow and will assure you of that bathtub feel come July. At a minimum I'd say 3.5' but 4' is even nicer. With all that bench seating you have lots of shallow water.

If you want to cut costs, a cement deck and coping done up with stain and stamped can look pretty spiffy!

Pentair is fine equipment. Make sure you get a variable speed pump. What type of filter? Chiller probably good idea for south Texas and a shallow pool.

GO FOR THE SWG!! You won't regret it at all and will thank us later ;)

Maddie :flower:

We are doing acrylic lace for the decking. We'll have what I think is called a cantalievered edge, which means there won't be coping. We will do a faux coping edge with the acrylic. It saves on cost. Travertine is beautiful but it is pricey and slippery in my experience.

As for plaster, I think most people get pebble. I tried finding someone in my large neighborhood with different kinds of quartz to look at and no one had it. We are getting quartz because I like that it is smooth and the benefit is it's cheaper too.

Reactions: TexasOasis
I agree with everyone else, 3' is not very deep. When we started planning my wife thought she wanted 3' in the shallow end because she is 5'3". I held a tape measure up next to her and showed here where 3' would be and we decided that 3'6" was much better. I would suggest more of a deep end than 5.5' also. It will help some to keep the pool cooler in the summertime.

Our finish is Wet Edge Luna Quartz and I am happy with it so far, but we are just finishing our pool. They have lots of pics on their website of all of their color options. With Wet Edge only factory certified installers can apply their product, so you would have to see if there is an installer in your area. I think there is a locator on their website. Keep in mind that the darker the color is the more it will heat up in the summertime.

We went with the SWCG after doing alot of reading on here and asking a few friends that have pools both regular chlorine and SWCG. I will say that after doing the liquid chlorine for the past few weeks during startup I know I made the right choice. I have had to add alot of chlorine and it really is an inconvenience that I look forward to avoiding with the SWCG. Also, I did not add the acid pump, but am checking into adding that to the automation to avoid handling the acid on a daily basis.

We really could not decide on the pool deck for our pool either. We have heard that the Spray Deck, Cool Deck and similar products will only last able 10 years and then need to be removed and reapplied. We ended up going with a regular brushed concrete and will have a company come out next year and do a concrete overlay on it. The company that I have been talking to said to wait at least 28 days after the new concrete is poured before doing an overlay. The cost of the concrete overlay will probably vary from one area to another, but here in Houston it ranges from $3.50 to $4.50 per square foot. We have about 1,000 sq ft of deck with the pool and outdoor kitchen area.

We are also in an HOA that has rules about everything. I wanted to do Sun Sails to shade the pool area in the hotter part of the summer and they are not allowed. Normally I would just install them anyway, but we are on a corner lot. We had the builder add several umbrella holders in the concrete, and behind the raised wall on the west side of the pool. I can shade the full swimming pool all afternoon, this should help keep the water cooler and hopefully prevent sunburns somewhat.

We considered a chiller for our pool, but decided to wait and see if we really need one with having the added shade around the pool. We left room to add it later if we decide that we want it.

One thing that you didn't mention was the heater for the spa. I highly recommend going with the 400K BTU instead of the 250K. We are just now able to use our heater, but I can have my spa heated up and ready in about 20 minutes. We can also heat our entire pool pretty fast. I turned it on Friday night about 8PM expecting it to take all night to get the entire pool warm enough to swim the next day, it was warmed up to the temperature set point at 1AM. We actually kept the heater on all weekend and were able to swim all day both days when everyone else is closing their pools for the winter.

Thank you all so much for helping me consider the depth a little more. It is a small pool so I don’t know that we will be able to go to deep and it really will be for socializing and cooling off. I will talk with the PB about the lowest depth being no less than 3.5-4 feet. I was even considering a single depth pool since we will have bench seating going around half of the pool.

Great idea to leave room on the pad for a chiller later on. I also like the idea of waiting to do the concrete overlay as an option, especially since we are building over winter and early spring anyhow. And the umbrella holder is a super awesome idea too!

The quotes I received so far were for the 400K BTU gas heater which is what we wanted. When considering the chiller, I liked that it was a heater/chiller and could be used to heat the pool (not the spa), and is relatively cheap to run in that case. I don’t know that I will use gas to heat the pool just because I have been told how expensive it is.

It’s all overwhelming. I’m very excited but trying to narrow down to a builder has been difficult. I hate hearing so many conflicting opinions because it makes my decision harder.

Pool finish - most seem to do quartzscape although one does a pebble finish from a concrete company in Arizona or New Mexico, I can’t recall. What to watch for or be weary of...
Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to TFP.
See the link below which is from a specific company (the plaster mfg. I used) but it provides good info on all types of plaster finishes available in the industry. Obviously it runs from $ to $$$$$ but at least you know the differences then as you meet with PB you can see what they offer and at what cost.

I would highly recommend a SWCG rather than using chlorine pucks or liquid chlorine.
Also, I have stamped concrete as decking and find it is nice looking and easy maintenance. I had it resealed 2 years ago but it was installed 17 years ago.
I have found that I do not need a chiller but everyone is different and if you think you would like it, plan for it on the equipment pad but wait a year and see if you really need it.
Definitely go with the 400BTU heater for the spa. It heats quick.

Wet Edge Technologies – various types of plaster – overview of all products

Also some additional reading on TFP is very helpful.
How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment

How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

Reactions: TexasOasis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For your size pool I would think about single depth for at least 4' if not 4'5". I think that will give you a lot more usable overall pool. Make sure you are talking about WATER depth that is measured from floor of pool to the middle of the skimmer opening.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.