New Build DFW - POOL COMPLETED!

NormG

Aug 5, 2021
Heath, TX
Good morning!

Just wanted any advice feedback as I get started here. Always had a pool, never built a pool. Built a new house and moved in early 2020. Planning on a pool now. Rough drawing of the start of my idea shown.

Rough specs:
16'x 34' with 9' x 10' tanning ledge (7' x 10' open)
Smaller tanning ledge (5' x 16') at entry to pool - 10' off covered patio attached to the house
Wall across far end with fire/water bowls into pool and fire only bowl on side without pool below (far right on drawing)
Pool runs longways away from home, almost directly due North

Rough estimate on sizes/areas:
Perimeter - 150' total, including 4x 2'x2' steps over tanning ledge
Surface area - 622 ft^2
Roughly 705 ft^2 of decking - thinking pavers

Equipment wanted (not specific at this point):
DE Filter
SWCG
Robotic cleaner
Chiller

While not sketched in, looking for 5' of decking on left (west) side of pool (included in # above). At some point in the next year or so, adding covered outdoor kitchen to that side with bar seating along that area.

Would love some feedback, and/or any advice on people that did BYOP / OB route.

Thanks!
pool rough sketch 8.6.21.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry I was in the middle of something and only had time for the quick joke.

search up Owner build, OB, DIY or any combo of the 3. Folks absolutely LOVE showing off their pools and double that if they did it themselves.

If you PM a dozen people who did what you’re thinking of, 3 dozen will PM you back. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: NormG
Godspeed to you for being able and willing to do it yourself. I'm certain you can save money and/or get exactly what you want by doing it yourself, but I don't have the time or the patience! With a pool builder, I at least have one point of contact to keep badgering! :)

Reactions: NormG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I'd seen this earlier, but I just came in and fired up my computer. I'm truly amazed and thankful. Wife just walked into my office from a run and said "What the h... where did you get a picture of our pool?"

I really can't thank you enough!

I hope she is happy with it.. Happy Wife Happy life.. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
OK, got a quote back. Thoughts on equipment? I already know I want to ditch the pressure side cleaner mentioned for a robot. Want to specify model of lights.

Pool estimated at 15,700 gallons. I think the IC40 is correctly sized and the 520 filter. Anything I'm missing?

Also, thoughts on the wall vs no wall as I previously was thinking?

Attachments

• Pool Q 1.PNG
    Pool Q 1.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Pool q 2.PNG
    Pool q 2.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Pool render OT.jpg
    Pool render OT.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Pool render OT2.jpg
    Pool render OT2.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: joel98z
That's a really good price for the pool! It looked like that may have been the base pool though and not include the additional decking or water features? I also saw it has Easytouch lite.. I see folks on the forum recommend against that.

That's a really good price for the pool! It looked like that may have been the base pool though and not include the additional decking or water features? I also saw it has Easytouch lite.. I see folks on the forum recommend against that.
No, that's just the starter price for their pools. I'm comfortable with most of the line by line stuff, so I just posted the basic info and equipment list.

Last edited:
Reactions: joel98z
Easytouch lite
That should be a hard NO to the Lite version. That is the bare bones version, you at least want the Easytouch 4P with Screenlogic

but preferably, your upgrade would be to the Intellicenter, the newest automation from Pentair, and one with the integrated power with the IC40, a bundle something like this one....

Pentair has been having issues with supply recently, so this may be difficult for your builder to get, or, they just may not want to install an Intellicenter. Some PBs want to stick with their tried and true work horse of an automation system, the Easy Touch. You can't go wrong if you were forced into the Easy Touch with Screenlogic, but never the Lite version

Want to specify model of lights
I would want to make sure they were the Microbrites. That is Pentair's newest light, and has a standard receiver for future replacements.
Globrites are the older model with a special niche, but they do not last as long, and when you need to replace them, you will have issues.

That should be a hard NO to the Lite version. That is the bare bones version, you at least want the Easytouch 4P with Screenlogic

but preferably, your upgrade would be to the Intellicenter, the newest automation from Pentair, and one with the integrated power with the IC40, a bundle something like this one....

Pentair has been having issues with supply recently, so this may be difficult for your builder to get, or, they just may not want to install an Intellicenter. Some PBs want to stick with their tried and true work horse of an automation system, the Easy Touch. You can't go wrong if you were forced into the Easy Touch with Screenlogic, but never the Lite version

I would want to make sure they were the Microbrites. That is Pentair's newest light, and has a standard receiver for future replacements.
Globrites are the older model with a special niche, but they do not last as long, and when you need to replace them, you will have issues.
Thank you...all on my list.

Need advice on light placement. PB sent this yesterday. House is at top of drawing. Three lights, I was thinking 2 in steps facing away from house and one in tanning ledge to the side. Thoughts?

Attachments

• lights.PNG
    lights.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 39

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.