New AZ owner build! :)

Aug 21, 2015
Phoenix
New user here and love the site. Informative and great place for info.

Just got the keys to my newly built house earlier this year and have a blank back yard. After 3 months of designing, engineering, and permit and HOA, it has begun and in the works. This is the first pool i have built and am cutting out the pool builders. With the help of my best friend who's family has been in the pool business for decades, i am tackling it myself.

One thing i learned so far is that if you have a budget when building it, you may as well throw that out the window. LOL. You will want to spend more. :eek::D Also, if you speak spanish, you can get a lot more features done for the same price or for a little bit more. All my additions so far have not cost me much more at all. Basically just the cost of the equipment. PB would charge an arm and a leg. I guess that is where they make their money, on the upgrades.

My design was pretty straightforward, but then i added all kinds of things in the beginning stages. LOL

I will try to update progress when i can. Have electrician and rebar being done this week. Shotcrete next week hopefully after inspection.

ORIGINAL PLAN FEATURES:

-FULL AUTOMATION SYSTEM FROM PENTAIR
-PLAY POOL
-SPA FALLS IN POOL
-SUNKEN BAR WITH BBQ KITCHEN AND 5 STOOLS
-TRAVERTINE DECK AND PATIO
-FIREPLACE
-2 ROCK WATERFALL WATER FEATURES

ADDED FEATURES LOL!!!

-2 COLOR CHANGING LAMINARS LED JETS
-2 REGULAR WATER JETS
-1 COLOR CHANGING LED BUBBLER
-IN-FLOOR CLEANING
-UPGRADED POOL AND SPA LIGHT TO LED COLOR ALSO
-SALT CELL

EQUIPMENT (ADDED FOR YOU GUYS THAT ASKED)

-PENTAIR DE 60 FILTER
-PENTAIR INTELLIFLO VS+ PUMP
-PENTAIR WHISPERFLO 2 HP
-PENTAIR MASTER TEMP 400BTU HEATER
-PENTAIR EASYTOUCH POOL SPA COMBO 8SC-IC40 WITH SALT CELL
-PENTAIR SCREEN LOGIC BUNDLE
-1.5 HP SILENCER VLOWER
-3 AUTO VALVE ACTUATORS
-BLUE SQUARE IN FLOOR SYSTEM

- 1 PENTAIR INTELLIBRITE 5G COLOR LED SPA LIGHT
- 1 PENTAIR INTELLIBRITE 5G COLOR LED POOL LIGHT
- 2 PENTAIR MAGIC STREAM COLOR LAMINARS
- 1 PENTAIR COLORSCADE LEDE BUBBLER
- 2 MAGIC STREAM DECK JETS

DESIGN:
Photo%20Sep%2001%205%2042%2049%20PM_zpsflto8azs.jpg

EXCAVATION:
Photo%20Aug%2008%206%2027%2059%20PM_zpszpzllg3i.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2010%209%2015%2026%20AM_zpsx8rcaidv.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2010%203%2035%2057%20PM_zpskss5xutc.jpg

GAS:
Photo%20Aug%2024%209%2006%2013%20AM_zpsfhvz3nru.jpg

PLUMBING:
Photo%20Aug%2025%2011%2039%2013%20AM_zpsv0tnswt9.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2029%205%2056%2025%20PM_zpsscvlvb84.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2029%205%2056%2058%20PM_zpssx7yb8ii.jpg

EQUIPMENT:
Photo%20Sep%2001%205%2043%2044%20PM_zpsf5db6m1w.jpg

I love the design of having the pool/bbq area/decks separate and then paths going between each one. I want to do that in my back yard too. I have a neighbor with that setup and it really is awesome.

I love your design - so much interest to it. I looked at it several times, and each time I saw something new! It's going to be a lot of fun to watch this build. And you're in charge - awesome!!!! Hats off to you....

And those mountains I see looking out away from your house and yard - breathtaking!

Congrats on a great start!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. plumbing was finished today. Here is my setup. Looks intricate, but i should be able to control all the water features individually and from my phone. Also, wanted the option to run heater to only spa or pool or both.

Here is list of all equipment, which does not include the outdoor kitchen :)

-PENTAIR DE 60 FILTER
-PENTAIR INTELLIFLO VS+ PUMP
-PENTAIR WHISPERFLO 2 HP
-PENTAIR MASTER TEMP 400BTU HEATER
-PENTAIR EASYTOUCH POOL SPA COMBO 8SC-IC40 WITH SALT CELL
-PENTAIR SCREEN LOGIC BUNDLE
-1.5 HP SILENCER VLOWER
-3 AUTO VALVE ACTUATORS
-BLUE SQUARE IN FLOOR SYSTEM

- 1 PENTAIR INTELLIBRITE 5G COLOR LED SPA LIGHT
- 1 PENTAIR INTELLIBRITE 5G COLOR LED POOL LIGHT
- 2 PENTAIR MAGIC STREAM COLOR LAMINARS
- 1 PENTAIR COLORSCADE LEDE BUBBLER
- 2 MAGIC STREAM DECK JETS

Photo%20Sep%2002%206%2009%2028%20PM_zpsguhrxfpl.jpg

This looks like it is going to be epic. I am interested in how the Blue Square in-floor works out. I sat down with 4 builders and the builder that owns the blue square system and all the other builders did nothing but knock it. I kinda took it is they are threatened by something new but I don't know. They all said the same thing. Anyways, I have also decided to cut out all the big builders and use a friend that is a contractor. He is going to help manage the project and I am saving about $6000.00 after what i pay him.

This looks like it is going to be epic. I am interested in how the Blue Square in-floor works out. I sat down with 4 builders and the builder that owns the blue square system and all the other builders did nothing but knock it. I kinda took it is they are threatened by something new but I don't know. They all said the same thing. Anyways, I have also decided to cut out all the big builders and use a friend that is a contractor. He is going to help manage the project and I am saving about $6000.00 after what i pay him.

Hey,

I was told the same thing too about the blue square, but in all honesty, they are all pretty much the same. Just branded differently. I will also have a vacuum in my pool so when i don't want to use the in floor, then i can use the vacuum very easily.That is nice of your friend, but it really is not that hard to get it going with a design and engineering plan. Make sure you get a couple bids before making up your mind on your contractors. I have one that will do excavation, plumbing, and rebar as a package. Great guys, but like everyone else says, they tend to favor the pool companies deadlines because of contracts so you just have to be patient with them at times.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a HUGE step! What fun! I can't wait to see pics of it!

Any idea when you get plastered?

Kim

Not sure yet but, want to get my sunken bar done first before the plaster. Also, still have to do the rock and waterfalls before plaster. And the tile work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.