New AGP Owner - Looking for advice on Pump and Filter

Jun 8, 2016
Tampa
Brand new pool owner here, just ordered our Saltwater LX 18x33x54, Approx 14,000 Gallons. I also just placed our order for the CircuPool Edge 40 SWG.
I'm seeking advice / opinions on this Hayward Pump/Filter. Is the 1.5HP to large for a pool of this size? I really like having the 2 speeds to run a lower speed for a longer period of time and am hoping to hear some valuable input please and Thank You: Amazon.com : Hayward CC150932S XStream 1.5 HP Dual-Speed Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Garden & Outdoor

Great! Thank you. I wasn’t sure if the 1.5hp was to much but being that it has 2 speeds, I figured I’d run it on low for the most part. We live on the river and have a very good well. It certainly has higher iron and calcium but it’s not terrible. In my opinion it’s the best tasting water out there. Is there anything I should look out for when using the well water?

Your well have the capacity and flow to fill the pool?

You really don’t want any iron in the pool water no matter how good it tastes. Iron will accumulate in the water and lead to brown water and staining. As much as you can filter the water that goes into the pool -

Some folks truck in iron free water to fill their pools.

Not to my knowledge. The original house was built in the 50’s. I don’t believe it has any pvc until after the pump. I will check into the water truck option as well. I’m glad I asked the question. :)

Iron accumulates in pool water and iron levels over 0.3 ppm can cause staining.

That test says iron is 0.24 ppm. Almost assured of ending up with brown water and stains eventually if you just use that water.

Do a search and you will find many threads about people’s battles with pools with iron in the water. Usually they don’t find out until the water turns brown.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the guidance. Someone mentioned earlier about trucking iron free water in for the fillup. Would it be safe to do the initial fill that way, and then use the well as needed for top up's?

Yes, truck in iron free water if you can. Then use filters on your fill water.

I went ahead and ordered the dual Pentek big blue filter setup and will plan on doing my top up's via these filters.
I've also located a water delivery service that can deliver 14,000 Gal to me for right around 1k. The SWG instructions show that I'm going to need to dump in a little over 400lbs of salt. I would think it would be best to do this while the trucks are filling to get a good mix in. Would you agree?

Salt mixes well. Don’t get in the way of the water truck hose. Once the pool is filled you need to get FC and stabilizer in before you worry about adding the salt.

Time to create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. What type of pool do you have?

The TF-100 seems to be what I need, so I'll get one ordered, thanks for sharing. Is there a preferred shop (online maybe) to pickup supplies from? I assume once I test, I'm going to need to make some additions. Also best place to get FC?

Most pool chemicals you can get at the big box stores for half the price of pool stores - HD, WalMart, Lowes.

You need 10% liquid chlorine in gallon jugs, dry stabilizer to add CYA, muriatic acid to lower pH and TA, pool salt or water softener salt.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.