New Above Ground 24x54-WHERE DO I EVEN START

I must have done the math wrong. Oh no!!! Gosh I should have posted here first before I did that. I’ve been fighting it so hard ever since. I keep adding the acid and nothing happens. Maybe my acid is just not a good kind. Probably won’t be buying that brand again. So if I raise my CYA to 40 should I go ahead and increase my bleach too? Since I’m at 1.5 FC should I add enough to increase to 5 for tomorrow??

Also do y’all go buy tons of bleach and just keep it on hand? So im going to need to add half a gallon every single day? I’m guessing I need to get a closet full haha!! I’m just making sure this is what I need to do.

The acid is working. But to counteract that much borax is going to take a lot of acid.

The FC of 1.5 is too low now. Minimum of 3ppm FC at your current CYA. Follow the FC/CYA Levels

Do not buy too much bleach ahead of time. Unless you have a cool basement to store it in. Storing it outside in the summer it will degrade pretty quickly.

I can’t believe I did that! Wow! Thank you so much!

So I should add more bleach tonight and then be ok tomorrow?? So in pool math app I would put I have 1.5 and then add enough to get to the cya chart? I plan to add more cya tonight too so would I use my target CYA or the cya I currently have?

Start CYA dissolving. Whatever your target CYA is, use that as current when targeting FC level.

Your current FC of 1.5 and your target of X. Add chlorine based on that. Test again tomorrow afternoon/evening. Do it all again.

Just work the pH down as you can. High pH is not hurting the pool but could irritate swimmers eyes and skin.

Don't stress over it, whatever you have done can be undone. The most important thing you should always keep in mind is the chlorine levels. Don't let them drop below 3ppm and if you bump up your CYA to 50ppm, your minimum FC level will be 4ppm. You will be adding liquid chlorine daily and the preferred time is in the evening. Plan for that accordingly.

Another important thing to remember is whenever you need to add fairly large amount of a chemical, it is best to do it in stages followed by a measurement. For now, juts update this thread before adding anything besides chlorine and the experts will guide you.

It only gets easier from here. As you get familiar with your pool and your measurements, you will find that the method thought here is quite simple, cheap and extremely effective. Use the Pool Math app to your advantage. Log your test results and chemical additions, it will help you with getting the rhythm of things and spot odd behaviors, such as larger than normal chlorine loss.

It only gets easier from here. As you get familiar with your pool and your measurements, you will find that the method thought here is quite simple, cheap and extremely effective.
And don't be so hard on yourself. Everybody messes up, and it is a far better teacher to be experienced. Somebody can tell you something a dozen times and you might kind of get it. Screw it up once and you'll get it right away.

Don't give up and definitely don't be tempted to go to the pool store.

Regarding Pool Math. Did you log your measurements of FC, PH, TA and CYA into the pool math? It's quite important because the app will take these values into consideration when recommending the amounts to be added. For example, the app needs to know TA for an accurate PH amount. If everything was logged properly, the app will take TA into account automatically.
It will also show the recommended FC levels based on the CYA level you logged, if you didn't log anything it will give levels based on 0ppm of CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! You truly are in the right place! I researched for almost 2 years before I actually installed my pool. I had many friends stating that they were spending upwards of $1200 each summer to maintain their pool. Many complained of not being able to swim multiple times a month because "I'm treating my pool".
All of my research kept leading me back to this site. I have never stepped foot in a pool store! I get everything I need from Menards/Lowes, Amazon, and my kit from TFPkits. I have never had to SLAM/SHOCK my pool and there has never been a day that we couldn't swim weather permitting.
This gets easier, just don't over think it and learn from Pool School. The experts on this site are a wealth of information.
FYI I use borax in my SWG pool because I like it. It takes almost twice the Muriatic acid to lower my pH with borax at 50. After one season you will have this down. Best of luck to you, Enjoy your pool!

Let the TA be for now. It’s probably close enough. The only reason to adjust TA is if the PH is unstable and swinging all over the place. Wait and see and if your PH stays put, or climbs slowly, you are good to go.

Reactions: Mlindsleye
Ok one last question!! Sorry just trying to get everything right..so my CYA is 40 and my FC is 5.5. Do I need to go ahead and add more since I know the sun will lower the FC throughout the day? Should I be adding more at night then the pool math app recommends so that I make it through the entire next day? Or do I just add what pool math app tells me and add some in afternoon.

You should test your FC and add chlorine to reach back to target range based on your CYA - FC/CYA Levels. It is best to do that at about the same time of day, whether that is in the evening or first thing in the morning.

Once you see what your pool needs for chlorine every day, you can just use the OTO test and add the chlorine. But for now, test with FAS-DPD every day.

Ok. I’ve been doing that the past 2 evenings and the next morning I’m right on target. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to be at the higher end of my target or is in the middle ok since I know it will lower through the day. If that makes sense. According to the CYA chart im where I need to be but right on the lower end. It says between 5-7 and I’m a 5.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.