Nashville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I'm 44 and didn't learn to swim til around 40 or so, and I'm not really good at it, yet. Also, this housing market is crazy, so sure, we made an offer on the house with the pool, and I never thought we'd actually get it, but we did. Now I've been struggling with getting mustard algae out of this pool for weeks. I joined a Facebook group and asked a question and people mentioned that I should SLAM the pool. I asked what that meant and it led me here. Glad to be here, ready to learn more.

If you truly have mustard algae, you'll have to follow the mustard algae protocol as described in this post. It's basically bringing your FC up to a crazy level after a normal SLAM and holding it there for 24 hrs. Worked for me!

And welcome to TFP! :wave: :cheers: :wave:
Thanks! I've yet to have a professional look at it in person but everyone I've described it to over the phone says that's what it is. I have a vinyl liner chlorine pool. 29,000 gallons. My water is crystal clear but there's this growth on the bottom of the pool that spreads rapidly if left unchecked. It varies in color from yellow to yellowish green, and some is dark and might even be black but it's hard to tell. When I shock the Crud out of it, it turns light grey. If I don't brush or vacuum that light grey stuff it will turn back yellow in a day or two. I plan to use the method in that post. I have a Taylor k2006c test kit on order and I have to go pick up some liquid shock. Up until now everyone has told me to balance, brush, vac to waste, triple shock and hope for the best. I had no idea there's a proven method with specific chlorine levels to get rid of this stuff. Can't wait til I can tell my family they can get in the pool every day if they want.

It would be a good idea to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Also, if you don't have a proper test kit already, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, you really need to get one. Do not rely on free store testing or test strips. Plus, when you are doing the SLAM Process to remove algae, you need accurate at-home testing at frequent intervals each day to maintain the proper FC level. It's not hard to do, but you must have one of those kits.

It would be a good idea to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Also, if you don't have a proper test kit already, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, you really need to get one. Do not rely on free store testing or test strips. Plus, when you are doing the SLAM Process to remove algae, you need accurate at-home testing at frequent intervals each day to maintain the proper FC level. It's not hard to do, but you must have one of those kits.

Yeah, I've been out looking for one locally and I'm having trouble. I ordered one but it won't be here til Thursday and I don't want to wait that long. Thanks for the tip. I keyed the info in the phone app. I'll look for the signature settings after I post this.