Need valve direction advice

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
The pool was opened on Wednesday, but I forgot to refill it so I’m not sure what the pool company did in setting up valves (water level was far below the skimmers).

I filled it up to the proper level but the skimmers are not pulling in water, the Polaris is not working and there’s no pressure on the filter gauge.

The labels on the pipes and the valve settings were from many years ago when a competent pool guy talked me through a different problem over the phone. The written labels are correct, but I’m not totally sure the valve positions are correct. But they should be since I took photos of them!

Anyhow the photos below match my historical photos but nothing is happening. The motor is hot and the water in the filter basket above the motor is warm.

This is a shot of whole set up. Polaris motor (hidden under pipes), valves to solar heater, filter and main pump.

Last edited:
The suction side appears open. Not sure whey you have a check valve there but be sure it is opening.

The return side is hard to see. I assume the actuated valve is for solar and the direction it is closed is to the solar. The valve with the broken handle, be sure it is open. Try putting a hose in the skimmer hole that goes to the pump and turn it on full force. See if you get water at the pump by opening the pump basket cover, if necessary.

I’m not entirely sure if the pump was running or not for two out of the three photos.

But I do know that the second full-size photo was taken when the pump was off.

Not sure if that address is your check valve concerns or not. And to be honest with you I don’t even understand you check valve concerns! ;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check valves create resistance. They are fine were needed, but it is rarely needed on the suction line.

Check valves create resistance. They are fine were needed, but it is rarely needed on the suction line.

Thanks!

Anthony and Sylvan did the installation. Somewhere in this forum, I detailed how awful the process was and how unresponsive and just horrible they were. The pool they promised would be open by Fourth of July The pool they promised would be open by Fourth of July, opened sometime in mid October. I wouldn’t mind the delay if everything went smoothly, but it did not!

Update from this morning.

When the pump was running, I checked the pump filter basket and there was very little water in it. I removed the cover, filled the pump basket, replace the cover and turn the pump back on. The water in the basket immediately sucked out, and continued at the low level that it was before I added more water.

Anyone have any idea why I can’t maintain water/pressure in the pump basket?

Also it was running all day yesterday and I lost an inch or two of water somehow somewhere. There’s no obvious leaks around the pump and piping but it’s also been raining for the past two days

Thanks!

Check your weir door. Be sure it is not stuck.

The pump basket not being full of water is typcially a suction side air leak. The first place to look is the gasket on the pump basket lid. Be sure it clean, lubricated, no cracks, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.