Need to Lower Salt ppm, Ph, and Clear the Green

1. That's correct
2. If it doesn't continue to add acid until you get pH well under 8.0 (how are you testing 6.4, anyways?)
3. Vacuuming is part of the SLAM process so, "No"

Additionally, regardless of how much acid it takes your pH needs to be in the 7"s and it should test in the 7.s with the phenol red test supplied with your kit

Before you start to SLAM, raise your CYA to 30 ppm. It makes the SLAM a little easier to control
My pH reading was 8.4. Not quite sure where you saw the 6.4.
Thanks for your reply.

6.4 was a typo. What test are you using to get 8.4?
Taylor K-1000 included with the TF-100 package.
I say 8.4 because it was darker than the top of the scale 8.2. I guess I could have/should have listed it as 8.2+

Just tested it again, ~30 minutes after adding Pool Math app recommended dosage. Down to 7.8. Which is good news. Headed in the right direction.
Will now add app recommended dosage.

And head to store to pick up chlorine stabilizer so I can get the CYA up to ~30.

One step at a time, right? :)

Last edited:
Great Post! Glad your pH is down.

Yeah, 8.2+ is the perfect way to post that.

Get enough stabilizer to ultimately get to around 70 ppm. Stop CYA at 30 to get ready for you SLAM.

You are doing nice work!:):)

"...stabilizer to ultimately get to around 70 ppm." You kind of lost me here. Get which reading to 70ppm?
And the pool math app is recommending I add 21oz of dry stabilizer. Does that make sense to you, agree with that dosage? (see snapshot)

Attachments

• Pool Math shot.jpeg
    Pool Math shot.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2
Neighbor gave me some sodium dichlor chlorine granules and some yellow treat they had left over.

Any reason I shouldn't add that into the mix?

Also, pH at 7.5 (added 6 ozs of acid, attempting to reach 7.4 target), my CYA is now at 30. Added my first application of 10% bleach, 1 gal, 7 cups. Will test chlorine levels in the AM.

If I'm missing something, or need to add any further directions/suggestions, feel free to do so. I'm certainly not too proud to learn what's required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Roger on the additives (for now. Have questions about them I'll raise later)

So took measurements this AM.

pH is holding at 7.5, CYA @ 30; however, Chlorine back to 0. I added 1 gal, 3 cups of bleach (have to get more).
Plus, the panel shows my salt Amps trending back up, > 8, again (saw this a bit yesterday). So I placed garden hose in pool.
Looked at panel again ~4 hours later, at noon, and the panel reported +7.69A. Think I'm going to keep adding "fresh" water until it settles under 7, maybe closer to 6.5Amps.

Some questions:
1. I expected I would need to purchase mor 10% bleach. Can anyone share how many more gallons they think I should get? Not surprisingly, the pool is still green as heck.
2. Any idea as to why, after adding fresh water to the pool over the period of a 2 or 3 days, and seeing the Amps drop into the high 7s (below 8 where I needed them), that the Amps trended back up yesterday afternoon into this AM?

Last edited:
To close this story, took a few days, but as of Saturday 7/15, pool back to where it should be.
A positive or two is what one can learn when issues arise. I gained some good knowledge during his excercise.

Thanks again all.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.