Need some pro advice

Jun 4, 2014
Northern CA
I have a basic understanding of the methods taught here and have used them successfully on a few different pools. My current house has my first SWG pool, so I am still learning some of the details about SWG.
I just upgraded my automation to Pentair intellicenter with a IC40 cell. My old SWG cell (Jandy) last year would scale up and need cleaned every 3 weeks or so. As I open my pool this year I need to get my CH, and any other factors that create the scale corrected. I always battle with PH and TA because my TA is high and I struggle to ever get it down, and my tap water has high TA. The PH creeps up and I have gotten used to adding acid on a regular basis. My pool's autofill appears to be connected to a water source that is fed off the house's Water softener.
My water temp is now warm enough to turn the SWG on, but I would like to minimize scaling (if possible) before I turn it on. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

My water test info:

Pool:
CH 525
TA 110
PH 8.2
CYA 80

pool auto refill water (softened):
CH 25
TA 220
PH 7.2

Hose water (from a well)
CH ~150
TA 220
PH 7.0

Use enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.0 - 7.2. Do that first. Then let aeration increase the pH back up to about 7.8 - 8.0 and repeat. Each time you do this you will lower the TA. Continue until you get the TA down to about 60. That should allow you to hold the pH around 7.7 - 7.8 easier. You could even let the TA drop to about 50, but I wouldn't go any lower than that. By keeping the TA in the 50 - 60 range, and your pH in the upper 7s, that should help you better manage your CSI in the PoolMath APP to avoid scale.

Thanks.
have you any good method to airate the pool? I have tried the waterfall in the past with not much effect. My tap water has high TA which doesnt help the situation as the pool fills over the season...

Should I also exchange some water to lower my CH of 525?

I have the same issue with high TA fill water. I run my spa spillover constantly for aeration. If I need more aeration, I set my returns to spa mode and suction from pool. The combo of spa bubbles and high spillover moves pH pretty quick.

Do you have a spa?

There are some other strategies addressed in the Wiki section:

autofill appears to be connected to a water source that is fed off the house's Water softener.
How did the CH rise then?

You can manage the water at your current level of CH. You will need to push your TA lower and add acid every few days during the summer to offset the TA being added via the fill water.

How did the CH rise then?

You can manage the water at your current level of CH. You will need to push your TA lower and add acid every few days during the summer to offset the TA being added via the fill water.
The water softener is somewhat new. Prior to the softener, the house had a "salt-less water conditioner" which did nothing to reduce hardness.

I will work to get my TA down. Thanks for the pointers.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.