Need some help getting my pool going for the 3rd summer.

Okay. So here’s where I’m at. I stayed up “late” to try and do an OCLT. But as luck would have it, it started to rain about 30 mins before sunset. So I didn’t even bother doing the first test. I was also running late so didn’t have time to even do a strip test before work. I’ll try again tonight and tomorrow night.

When I got home from the first job FC was 7.5 and CC was 0.5. Added bleach.

After an hour or so did the full battery of tests
FC 11.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.8
TA 170
CH 150
CYA 35

added bleach. I’m going to keep testing every hour or so. Keep the FC as close to 12-12.5 as I can. See what happens.

so it looks like things are right in line still.

CYA of 35 = 40 when you round up. Your FC SLAM level is 16ppm.
Thanks. However I already rounded up to 35. When the dot disappeared it was just barely over 30. So I added a little bit more of the mix to make sure it didn’t change. And it didn’t. And at that point it was exactly between 30 and 40. But I definitely don’t mind keeping the FC levels a little higher. I def want this pool clean. :) right now the pool math app has me running it at 14. And so far 10.5 is the lowest the FC has dropped. I’ve been checking every 1.5 hours or so and added what the app says.

The scale is logarithmic. You can interpolate between the labeled points if you know how, but the general instructions on TFP are to assume the next highest labeled point.

Thanks. I didn’t realize it was a log scale. I still think it would be closer to 35, but will def round up to be safe. I’d rather have too much than not enough.

Checked the FC this morning around 9. It was down around 12.5. Add some more bleach. Didn’t do an official OCLT. Will ASAP.

That said, I forgot to mention. I did try using some DE filter aid. But even with less than 1/4 of a cup the filter quickly starts to build pressure. Like writhing 5 mins it’s up to 12 psi. And when I backwash it I get some white water for a short bit. Then it goes clear. I let it run for 3-5 mins. And it never looks “dirty” like it doesn’t when backwash after 24 hours or so. When I do that I get some yellow/brownish water for a bit and then clear water. So I quit trying that. And I could actually see that I had fingers on my hand when getting the water sample. So it’s getting a wee bit clearer.

And looking at the pool today. I think it might be going backwards. But I don’t know why. The FC was at 12 this morning. Added more chlorine than recommended. I think the app asked for like 49 oz, and the jug was almost empty. So put all 58 oz left in.

Just did the lunch check and the FC is down to 9.0. CC is always 0 to 0.5. It may just barely turn pink on occasion. But one drop and it’s back to clear.

I keep vacuuming and/or sweeping it. I’m backwashing the filter at least once a day. Some days twice. But the pressure rarely climbs more than 1 psi between backwashes.

I’m going to keep adding a little more chlorine than recommended. Unless told otherwise. I use a 2 cup measuring cup. I figure I’ll just add multiples or 16 oz. over what’s recommended. Say it says 58 oz, I’ll do 64oz. and if the amount recommended is close to a multiple of 16, I’ll add an extra 8 oz. Say it recommends 46, I’ll do 56.

Would pics helps? anyway I’m off to add more chlorine.

Do not consistently go over SLAM level FC. It wastes chlorine and can damage a vinyl liner.
You are only on day three of the SLAM.

C109FB0E-DE1C-4EAD-BCD6-D5272C80E195.jpeg
Here’s some pics anyway. At least it might help me keep track. And fwiw I use the black hose found to the skimmer as a rough guide of how clear the pool is. And as of yet, I’ve not been able to see the bend. But I feel like yesterday I was getting close to seeing it. Today not so much.

Attachments

• E87A2B00-2805-44AE-A7B1-478C5CD2B2CD.jpeg
    E87A2B00-2805-44AE-A7B1-478C5CD2B2CD.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pics are almost always helpful.

Is there any place in the pool for algae to hide? Light fixtures, ladders, skimmer throats, etc?
Yeah it’s obvious. Haha. And other than skimmer the pool is completely empty. But I take out the skimmer and clean it regularly. Yesterday I felt like I could just start to make out the bottom of the pool. Not today.

Do not consistently go over SLAM level FC. It wastes chlorine and can damage a vinyl liner.
You are only on day three of the SLAM.
Can you explain why am I back to day 3?? On June 9 you said that was my first day. This Saturday you said it was day 4, and now it’s back to day 3? Am I doing something wrong to “reset the counter”? I’m truly just trying to figure it out. I’ve had the filter running since may 26, and elevated levels of chlorine during that time. I get that I didn’t have the proper to test kit to truly know the chlorine levels. And there was still a good bit of junk I still hadn’t cleaned out. But I feel like I’m at least going on a week or so.

And I’m going to keep going until it’s clean. I know there’s no magic timeline, and pools in as bad as shape as mine can take a significant amount of time. Even more than the 7-14 days most that works for most people. I just want to make sure I’m not doing something wrong that’s making it take even longer. Thanks.

I would agree with Woodstock, a healthy water exchange may be prudent. Are you sure there is no solid debris on the floor of the pool?

Yowza, I would be tempted to drain some unless water is hard to come by.
It's definitely an option. One I don't really want to do, as I've already filled it once this year. Last year it was similar to this, but the cartridge filter I had, got it clean in 2-3 days. If they get another cartridge filter pump in stock locally I may grab it and see what happens. Heck the old one doesn't leak "that bad". Guess I could run it for a day or two. Plus adding some extra water won't hurt I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.